Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Focus ST3 (Black)
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone done this after a shutter delete for a FMIC?

I'm doing my first mods on this car, and with the FMIC upgrade, the active shutters look like they need to be removed. I was thinking about adding a small mesh to the always-open front to help protect the FMIC from large road debris and also give it a little bit of a look.

Anyone done this and have pics? Any downsides to trying something like this? Attached a pic of what I am talking about if that helps.

I have seen a few RS cars do something similar, but never an ST with it's front grill.

Facial expression Mouth Human Textile Nail

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
I have a piece of steel rain gutter mesh on mine, painted black. Cut to size and zip-tied on--seems to catch a bunch of stuff that would otherwise be into the IC.

Reactions: Kyio

·
Super Moderator
2017 Kona Blue ST1
4,733 Posts
Reactions: DanJett and Kyio

·
Registered
2013 Focus ST3 (Black)
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh wow, I didn't think about a simple solution like that. It's literally no tools required too. And they have both Mk3 and Mk3.5 options. Such a nice find, don't know how I missed it. Bad google skills.

It is a bit of extra change compared to doing a mesh yourself, but that finish and simplicity of install is nice.

·
Vendor
333 Posts
I'm running some basic aluminum or stainless wire cloth on the front of my ST. It's just zip-tied to the honeycomb grill and lower grill blades. Works really well for keeping **** from getting to the coolers and whatnot. I measured no impact of cooling performance. Still holing up well after like 4yrs of track use... including some off-track adventures :D

If needed, I can measure up what I used.

Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Grille Car Automotive lighting

·
Registered
23 Posts
I helped my brother do this on his 17’ Focus ST when he did his Steeda intercooler and cut out the bottom pieces to open it up. He bought the black roll of metal mesh from Amazon. We had bumper cover off from doing intercooler and we used a automotive market to trace from inside with bumper on top of it the we cut it bigger and bent some parts and used small screws to hold it in
It didn’t come out perfect but from the outside looks good and protects the intercooler from ricks, birds etc
I’ll get a picture next time I see him

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi All,
Here is an issue that most won't even think about. The smaller the mesh you choose the less air you are allowing in for cooling. I remember seeing a chart years ago showing the percentage of air flow reduction for various sizes of mesh but that info has long been forgotten. It's unlikely that adding a mesh grill will affect a stock motor. A modified engine may have less tollorance running with less air flow. Here is a little easy reading background.

·
Registered
2013 Focus ST3 (Black)
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi All,
Here is an issue that most won't even think about. The smaller the mesh you choose the less air you are allowing in for cooling. I remember seeing a chart years ago showing the percentage of air flow reduction for various sizes of mesh but that info has long been forgotten. It's unlikely that adding a mesh grill will affect a stock motor. A modified engine may have less tollorance running with less air flow. Here is a little easy reading background.

Thanks for this, I'm going to take a look later tonight after work.

I imagine on a track it would be most prevalent and a problem (as with most performance metrics) than on a street use car. I would think as long as you are not doing a SUPER small sized grill, like screen door type mesh, the restricted flow should not be too much of a problem for an intercooler especially if upgraded.

I would think if you do a whole "screen door" mesh to both the lower and upper grills, then you could easily see a measurable difference in a few things, and all negative.

·
Vendor
333 Posts
Hi All,

I totally thought about this. I measured cooling temps before and after, and there was no difference with the mesh I used. I forget the specifics, but I did get a high volume mesh.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I don't disagree with DamondMotorsports. I do stand behind my point that using a mesh screen will pass less air into the engine compartment. The size of the mesh will dictate the amount of change. I also did not say to expect problems, just pointing out an issue that most drivers would have never thought about. The level of build and driving habits will tell you if this is something to worry about or not.

·
Registered
2013 Focus ST3 (Black)
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't disagree with DamondMotorsports. I do stand behind my point that using a mesh screen will pass less air into the engine compartment. The size of the mesh will dictate the amount of change. I also did not say to expect problems, just pointing out an issue that most drivers would have never thought about. The level of build and driving habits will tell you if this is something to worry about or not.
Totally relevant, and I loved the scientific data of that stuff to back it up. I would have loved to see a specific "Mesh Size" comparison only in addition to all the different covers and styles that were tested.

Based on that study, the mesh they used has an 11% loss in airflow versus no mesh at all (unobstructed).

I enjoy these kind of studies, but it does seem rather obvious that anything in an area where air is to pass through will always slow down the flow or break up the amount of air pulled through.

If I remember right, sorta related, the CP-E intake has a downpipe that gets smaller near the end to help condense the air into a denser format. Airflow is always such a cool study when it comes to performance because of how many different factors can come into play.

·
Registered
'18 ST1+ Sync3 Euro Blue Recaros
244 Posts
The studies and scientific information is interesting, but we don’t know the break even flow rate of the intercooler. At X% OEM bumper opening, how much surplus airflow is hitting the intercooler? Is X%-11% low enough to dip under the minimum airflow needed to effectively cool the charge air temps. Also normal/optimized for what air/vehicle speed and/or temperature/humidity.

This experiment sounds like it has too many undefined variables and is dipping into the silver vs. black intercooler argument.

Totally relevant, and I loved the scientific data of that stuff to back it up. I would have loved to see a specific "Mesh Size" comparison only in addition to all the different covers and styles that were tested.

Based on that study, the mesh they used has an 11% loss in airflow versus no mesh at all (unobstructed).

I enjoy these kind of studies, but it does seem rather obvious that anything in an area where air is to pass through will always slow down the flow or break up the amount of air pulled through.

If I remember right, sorta related, the CP-E intake has a downpipe that gets smaller near the end to help condense the air into a denser format. Airflow is always such a cool study when it comes to performance because of how many different factors can come into play.

Reactions: Kyio

·
Registered
2013 Ford Focus ST1
2,261 Posts
I have the Zunsport mesh on my pfl. Admittedly more for appearance than for
Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Automotive lighting Grille

any serious worry about the IC getting damaged. But I like it for what it is. Fairly pricey mind you, because it comes from the UK.

·
Registered
2013 Focus ST3 (Black)
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have the Zunsport mesh on my pfl. Admittedly more for appearance than for View attachment 406928
any serious worry about the IC getting damaged. But I like it for what it is. Fairly pricey mind you, because it comes from the UK.
Excellent picture! And on a pre facelift too, perfect!

It is a bit pricey, but you can't hate the ease of install (Snap in with nothing but a screwdriver). Looks good!

·
Registered
2013 Ford Focus ST1
2,261 Posts
Excellent picture! And on a pre facelift too, perfect!

It is a bit pricey, but you can't hate the ease of install (Snap in with nothing but a screwdriver). Looks good!
@Kyio - Do you have an interest in these - seriously considering removing them before my car goes up for sale ?

·
Registered
2013 Focus ST3 (Black)
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
@Kyio - Do you have an interest in these - seriously considering removing them before my car goes up for sale ?
@StanE I am actually. My car is coming back from the shop (engine blown, fun times lol) and I had them do an FMIC install since it was going to be opened up for the engine and I'm wanting to get a set of these for style and actual protection. New to ship from the UK I think they are pushing $100 w/ shipping, but send me a direct message if you want to part with them and we can work something out!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts