·
Premium Member
‘13 Focus ST3, Tuxedo Black
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
2017 Kona Blue ST1
2,086 Posts
So 178 degrees fahrenheit oil temperature.

·
2017 Kona Blue ST1
2,086 Posts

Aggressive much??? LMAO!

Reactions: junits15

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
2017 Kona Blue ST1
2,086 Posts
But that K03...

·
Registered
2016 ST1, FBO, GTX2867R Gen2 .64-AR, Spec stage 2 clutch, Quaife LSD, Fortune Auto 500 coil-overs.
286 Posts
I saw this yesterday too lmao..

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Premium Member
2013 ST2, AGP BWS turbo, SP63 block
363 Posts
This is something I've been meaning to put out there. not super important so I'll drop it here.
This is a picture of the stock compressor wheel. I pulled it from worn OEM Ford turbo:
IMG_3425.jpg
notice how its marked K04

Here's some digging from audi forums:

"What's the difference between K03 and K04?
The original K03 (used in 150hp A4's) had smaller compressor and turbine wheels. The K03-S (Sport, in the 170hp models) utilize the SAME turbine wheel as the K04-15. The difference between the K03-S and K04-15 is that the K04-15 has a more aggressive compressor trim... diameter and A/R should be the same IIRC

ko3 small turbo for most 2000-2001 cars
ko3s have a slightly bigger compressor, the same for a ko4-001 for 2001- on
ko4-001 or 15 has a slighly larger turbine housing than a ko3s
ko4-2x are off 225 have a larger turbine and compressor than the ko4-001"

So there ya go.
We actually have the K03S which is much more like a K04 but with a different trim.

·
2,420 Posts
@Habriant40 Thats very interesting. I wonder which k04 these tuning companies are using with their conversions. Theyre saying here k04 can get 310hp/340tq.

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
@Habriant40 Thats very interesting. I wonder which k04 these tuning companies are using with their conversions. Theyre saying here k04 can get 310hp/340tq.

right. the K03s actually has a K04 turbine and shaft. and their compressor overall dim is the same. just the blade trim is different.
I mean the turbine is decently sized. (ik ik tiny turbo talk). makes sense why AGP left it alone and just shaved it down for better exit flow.
IMG_3426.jpg
But if you look at the housings on that k04 kit, they're pretty similar to ours. which makes sense because any K03/K04/K06 comp wheel will fit on a K03/K04/K06 turbine shaft. And they all share the same centerpiece CHRA.
The big thing is just machining the housings to match.

also here' s a worn out K series shaft close up:
IMG_3428.jpg

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This is something I've been meaning to put out there. not super important so I'll drop it here.
This is a picture of the stock compressor wheel. I pulled it from worn OEM Ford turbo:
View attachment 388159
notice how its marked K04

Here's some digging from audi forums:

"What's the difference between K03 and K04?
The original K03 (used in 150hp A4's) had smaller compressor and turbine wheels. The K03-S (Sport, in the 170hp models) utilize the SAME turbine wheel as the K04-15. The difference between the K03-S and K04-15 is that the K04-15 has a more aggressive compressor trim... diameter and A/R should be the same IIRC

ko3 small turbo for most 2000-2001 cars
ko3s have a slightly bigger compressor, the same for a ko4-001 for 2001- on
ko4-001 or 15 has a slighly larger turbine housing than a ko3s
ko4-2x are off 225 have a larger turbine and compressor than the ko4-001"

So there ya go.
We actually have the K03S which is much more like a K04 but with a different trim.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have a love hate relationship with the subreddit... Lots of chill folks, but too many ricers and people who don't know anything over there, but act like they know everything.

Saw an ST with fake teeth on the grill get several upvotes and decided it wasn't my cup of tea. It's your car and you can do what you want, but that doesn't mean I can't hate it.

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have a love hate relationship with the subreddit... Lots of chill folks, but too many ricers and people who don't know anything over there, but act like they know everything.

Saw an ST with fake teeth on the grill get several upvotes and decided it wasn't my cup of tea. It's your car and you can do what you want, but that doesn't mean I can't hate it.
It’s a lot of pictures of stock cars at an angle with their wheels turned. “My mods are a shift knob, mudflaps, tint...” yeah, visual changes aren’t mods. You don’t see drivers on 1320 or TRC listing what color their fender stripes are on their mod list.

·
Registered
88 Posts
It’s a lot of pictures of stock cars at an angle with their wheels turned. “My mods are a shift knob, mudflaps, tint...” yeah, visual changes aren’t mods. You don’t see drivers on 1320 or TRC listing what color their fender stripes are on their mod list.
I can't say much there. My ST is stock apart from a custom exhaust a family friend made for me (they own a muffler shop) and a symposer delete because mine was broken. Then again, I don't go around claiming to have the fastest, coolest car in town. I love my car, but there's plenty of better performance cars and plenty of better comfort cars. Just none that do both so well at this price range.

Sidenote: The Veloster N might be the new king on the block for mixing practicality and "fun-to-drive" factor super well now that the ST isn't being offered in the states (Thanks Ford). If something happens to my ST, the Veloster is on my list of cars to look into.

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
My ST is stock apart from a custom exhaust a family friend made for me (they own a muffler shop) and a symposer delete because mine was broken.
^^ thats an easy 50 hp right there bro what do you mean stock?!?! -- haha

I met an ST owner at a parking lot once.
He said that with only a cat back exhaust he's seeing 330 whp on the dyno and is beating Camaro's all the time. Was planning for 350hp from a cat-less downpipe that he had "in the mail".
I said "wow that's some tune you've got"
he said "nah man the stock tune is crazy. haven't found a reason to tune it yet"

Ignorance is bliss. Sometimes you gotta let the +5hp mudflap owners just do their thing.

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
@ryno9100 Totally agree with the price/fun factor of the ST. And the cargo space, and the gas milage and and and. its a great car.

I think the Veloster has filled the void Ford left with the ST quite nicely. My younger brother is looking to purchase one in the near future.

Reactions: junits15

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I can't say much there. My ST is stock apart from a custom exhaust a family friend made for me (they own a muffler shop) and a symposer delete because mine was broken. Then again, I don't go around claiming to have the fastest, coolest car in town. I love my car, but there's plenty of better performance cars and plenty of better comfort cars. Just none that do both so well at this price range.

Sidenote: The Veloster N might be the new king on the block for mixing practicality and "fun-to-drive" factor super well now that the ST isn't being offered in the states (Thanks Ford). If something happens to my ST, the Veloster is on my list of cars to look into.
Definitely not slamming stock cars, I’m just saying theres not much content there. I usually jump in and try to help people asking questions, but that’s about it. I have a stupid vendetta with people who claim mods, but their mods are strictly visual enhancement. Exhaust is a mod, but if you flexed on me about titanium tips, or Cobb hangers, meh, I might say something. I try not to.

These are awesome platforms, and incredibly affordable. The reliability is just the icing on the cake. It’s rare when you have a car that covers all bases and the ST does it well. I’ll probably stick with it for a while. For a car that’s no longer being produced, I see tons of them out here.

I’ve always liked the Veloster. Don’t think I’d ever buy one, but I’m interested in seeing how they turn up.

·
Registered
88 Posts
^^ thats an easy 50 hp right there bro what do you mean stock?!?! -- haha

I met an ST owner at a parking lot once.
He said that with only a cat back exhaust he's seeing 330 whp on the dyno and is beating Camaro's all the time. Was planning for 350hp from a cat-less downpipe that he had "in the mail".
I said "wow that's some tune you've got"
he said "nah man the stock tune is crazy. haven't found a reason to tune it yet"

Ignorance is bliss. Sometimes you gotta let the +5hp mudflap owners just do their thing.
I come from North Alabama, where everyone is a mechanic because they fixed grandpa's truck once. You'd be amazed the stories I've heard and the outright stupid claims.

·
Super Moderator
8,590 Posts
I come from North Alabama, where everyone is a mechanic because they fixed grandpa's truck once. You'd be amazed the stories I've heard and the outright stupid claims.
Wait a minute...I fixed grandpa's truck once!!!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts