Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone heard both and can tell me which is louder? Anyone have a general cost for doing a muffler delete at a muffler shop?

Thanks

·
Registered
428 Posts
Friend of mine has mbrp, I have a muffler and res delete. Mbrp has less drone, sounds pretty good and has a lot of sound when you're in the power band. My muffler and res delete is loud all the time, and it the drone gets pretty annoying at highway speeds honestly. I had my muffler and res delete done by a friend after hours at his shop for $85. He also made the extra effort to custom make a y pipe to retain the factory exhaust tip instead of having me buy new tips. He said he'd charge a customer 150-200 to do it normally. I'm planning on getting a Resonator from vibrant to cut down some of the drone honestly.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im interested in muffler delete only, not both. Obviously double delete would be very loud i would expect.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Now that I think about it, I have a co-worker that I autocross with who has a "custom axle back" which is just a muffler delete. Ive vaguely heard it from like 20 feet away and it sounded similar to my setup. I'll have to ask him about the sound

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
428 Posts
Which was louder from inside the car? The MBRP has bad off-throttle boom (pressure build up it feels like) and is very loud on throttle when on the interstate to me.
Can't hear yourself think with a muffler delete

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Can't hear yourself think with a muffler delete

Ok, that answers that i guess. Im thinking i want something quieter than the MBRP, but i don't want to spend a lot more money....I don't want to go back to stock, but i think i'll have to change something eventually....

·
Super Moderator
10,231 Posts
Ok, that answers that i guess. Im thinking i want something quieter than the MBRP, but i don't want to spend a lot more money....I don't want to go back to stock, but i think i'll have to change something eventually....
I disagree with the "Can't hear yourself think with a muffler delete"; I have an axle back (MRT) with helmholtz J-tube to stop the drone. Between the factory resonator and the J-tube it sounds pretty good. No drone and fairly quiet until you open the throttle, at which point it becomes fairly loud.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I disagree with the "Can't hear yourself think with a muffler delete"; I have an axle back (MRT) with helmholtz J-tube to stop the drone. Between the factory resonator and the J-tube it sounds pretty good. No drone and fairly quiet until you open the throttle, at which point it becomes fairly loud.
Maybe i should check with the muffler shop about a muffler swap that would make the MBRP a little less boomy/quieter?

·
Registered
19 Posts
If you want more noise bit still a comfortable cabin vplume just delete the resonator. It sounds awesome and keeps the stock tips!

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you want more noise bit still a comfortable cabin vplume just delete the resonator. It sounds awesome and keeps the stock tips!

How does this compare to an MBRP? Any thoughts?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have not owned the MBRP, but have heard it on a cpuple of occasions. The sound seems more agressive and has more bite with the resonator delete than the MBRP. I find the stock muffler gives the exhaust a ripping sound rather than a booming sound from the catback.

Most of the catbacks ive heard kind of sound like trombones on the ST to me. The stock muffler keeps the boomyness down.

I run a depo racing catless dp and barely notice anything. If it drones I have not noticed. It is lounder in the cabin but ive become used to it. Its nothing that you cant speak over.

·
Super Moderator
10,231 Posts
Maybe i should check with the muffler shop about a muffler swap that would make the MBRP a little less boomy/quieter?
Or just have a muffler shop do a custom exhaust using most of the existing tubing. The resonator can be swapped for a Magnaflow and the muffler replaced with some tubing. The 2 1/2 inch is good for 350+ H.P.; you would just need them to replace the bit of tubing after the resonator that necks down to 2 1/4 then back to 2 1/2 before the suspension.

·
Registered
331 Posts
If you don't want to break the bank and also don't want to hack up the stock exhuast then I suggest a CNT Racing catback. There are a few threads on here about it, me and a few others have it installed. For around $350 shipped for a cat back its hard to beat. No annoying drone and it has a really nice sound when you get on it. I too was about to pull the trigger on the MBRP until I researched the CNT system more. I've been loving every minute of mine and I guess it doesn't get mentioned much on here because I only know of a few that have it. Definitely worth checking out.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If you don't want to break the bank and also don't want to hack up the stock exhuast then I suggest a CNT Racing catback. There are a few threads on here about it, me and a few others have it installed. For around $350 shipped for a cat back its hard to beat. No annoying drone and it has a really nice sound when you get on it. I too was about to pull the trigger on the MBRP until I researched the CNT system more. I've been loving every minute of mine and I guess it doesn't get mentioned much on here because I only know of a few that have it. Definitely worth checking out.
Ya, funny enough i was going to get one but they were out of stock so long i finally went with MBRP because i got impatient. Not knowing the difference a 3" makes, i wish i would of waited. Sad thing is, i think like two days after i ordered the MBRP, the CNT's came back in stock....I may still get one...

·
Registered
331 Posts
Ya, funny enough i was going to get one but they were out of stock so long i finally went with MBRP because i got impatient. Not knowing the difference a 3" makes, i wish i would of waited. Sad thing is, i think like two days after i ordered the MBRP, the CNT's came back in stock....I may still get one...
I don't think you will be disappointed if you do. I love mine

·
Registered
428 Posts
For what it's worth, I retract my previous statement about the muffler delete. I put the res back in today and i severely underestimated how much the res actually does. With just the muffler delete now, it's not unbearably loud and there's no drone. I'm not sure if I really like the sound since it doesn't really have much depth to it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts