Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 2 months ago I purchased the aluminized mbrp catback. Loved it but was too quiet. Did a muffler delete and I put in a straight pipe from AutoZone in place of the muffler but it still has a resonator. Drone was around 2700-3000 rpms and was not bad at all. A few days ago I installed a catless downpipe from mbrp and now it is really loud. Don't get me wrong I still love it but the problem is the drone between 2k-3k rpms at 1/4 throttle to WOT depending on the gear I'm in sounds like I stuck a trumpet or trombone in the exhaust and it is so loud I can't hear anything else. I feel like putting the muffler back on but when the drone goes away after 3k rpms it quiets way down and sounds normal. I'm not an expert on exhaust and resonance but would a j-pipe help at all?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
I would put the muffler back on and see what you think.

right now with my MBRP and a stock DP, the drone is a tiny bot more than I would like, and I know when I switch to a catless DP its going to be way too much so I also plan and swapping to a different muffler first, and if needed, I will put both mufflers back in

·
Registered
445 Posts
I’m running the t304 catback with a 1320 Performance catless DP and I have no drone at all.

You may want to reinstall the muffler if you’re installing a catless DP.

Sent from a galaxy far, far away...

·
Registered
825 Posts
I borrowed a Toyota Supra with the six..
It had a straight pipe exhaust
Loud as hell.
I could not change anything as the car was just borrowed..
So I took a soup can, punched a bunch of holes and various slots into the sides..
(so one end of can open, and other sealed, just holes and small slots in sides..
Plugged it into the end of the exhaust.
WORKED beautifully. The LOUD exhaust was totally reasonable.
(IE no one was wanting to murder me for just driving down the street.)

There are pipe end gizmos for motorcycles, like a coin which can be blocking or flat.
Or maybe some other type of pipe end..
Just cutting slots might do. Or a small end like a gun silencer..
It is the solid flat pipe end causing the noise. Any variation.. even an angle tip might do the trick.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
E.E. I have no clue what your talking about. But I'mma try putting the muffler back on tomorrow and update what it does. Thanks for yall's replies

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I reinstalled the mbrp muffler and I can say the drone is definitely gone. Just wish it was a tad louder but I'm happy with it. If I did a resonator delete in the future would it be as bad again?

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
its hard to say HOW much worse it will be, its just kinda one of those things you've got to experiment with, especially when it comes to drone. with the same system some people will tell you that there is absolutely no drone, and another person will tell you its a little more drone than they would like. everybody has a different amount of drone that is acceptable to them.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
I reinstalled the mbrp muffler and I can say the drone is definitely gone. Just wish it was a tad louder but I'm happy with it. If I did a resonator delete in the future would it be as bad again?

Not the same exhaust but on my 3" fswerks setup, without the resonator (aka muffler only) I had a drone around and above 65mph. Made any sort of longer high way drive un-enjoyable. I did like the sound when cruising and getting on it with just the muffler, sounded real mean. However, I will not go back; drone was headache inducing after about 15minutes of hw driving. Check the exhuast thread or my post history, think i posted a couple videos with and with out resonator

1 - 10 of 10 Posts