Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A question for those who have an MBRP exhaust - how is the drone when driving highway speeds (70-80mph)?

I need to get an exhaust that is a bit quieter than the one I have (3" catback with resonator only). Someone recommended MBRP to me, but I haven't had a chance to hear one "in person". I need something quiet enough that it doesn't get annoying on longer trips.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
As an MBRP user WITH A CATLESS DOWNPIPE, I personally don't think it drones much at all. I listen to music and cruise at 80-90 to work daily and the subtle hum is certainly noticeable if I stop and go "can I hear my exhaust?" but it isn't annoying at all to me and I consider myself VERY sensitive to drone. If there is any felt resonance in the cabin I get headaches after a short while. Cobb TBE to me is the only exhaust that sounds mean that I like more at WOT...but it drones and is "felt" and hurts my head no matter how amazing it sounds. The two resonators allow the MBRP to be very tame and quiet unless you want it to be loud, then at WOT (or starting at roughly 2psi of boost and rapidly getting louder as you add more) it's MEAN sounding. I love the MBRP.

Edit: However, I will say this, DEFINITELY ride in one if available because some people have found even the MBRP to be "annoying" somehow. I mean if I'm at 80 in 6th gear it's hardly audible unless I go up a slight hill and build like 1psi of boost...THEN yes, it's noticeable and I would have to talk a little louder to someone in the cabin...but that isn't exactly common.

Edit 2: Also, it has passed 2 girlfriend tests now...including my ex who HATED car exhausts lol. New girl loves my exhaust so :cool:

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
the definition of drone is VERY subjective. I feel its plenty noticble but its not terrible... my rear passangers disagree with me.
the civic SI i had was DRONE ... this is meh drone, but again, subjective to what is too much.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
the definition of drone is VERY subjective. I feel its plenty noticble but its not terrible... my rear passangers disagree with me.
the civic SI i had was DRONE ... this is meh drone, but again, subjective to what is too much.
I had a ANSA catback on a 2.sl0w MKIV Jetta...THAT MF droned outrageously above 3k rpm. I hated it almost instantly and once broken in it actually had a worse resonance wavelength and gave me headaches if I drove over 20 minutes. And it was considered to be a "not too loud" exhaust. Awful.

I'm surprised your rear passengers disagree, I specifically ask when I (very rarely) have rear passengers and they usually are like "oh I didn't even notice" unless we ripped a little. With a car full though I'm typically shifting at 2600-2800 and not building any more than -2psi tops lol

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
I had a ANSA catback on a 2.sl0w MKIV Jetta...THAT MF droned outrageously above 3k rpm. I hated it almost instantly and once broken in it actually had a worse resonance wavelength and gave me headaches if I drove over 20 minutes. And it was considered to be a "not too loud" exhaust. Awful.

I'm surprised your rear passengers disagree, I specifically ask when I (very rarely) have rear passengers and they usually are like "oh I didn't even notice" unless we ripped a little. With a car full though I'm typically shifting at 2600-2800 and not building any more than -2psi tops lol
Skunk2 70mm exhaust on the civic... D R O N E lol

But all the rear passangers I have complain about the exhaust being boomy ... not necessarily drone lol.

Reactions: brian60

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Skunk2 70mm exhaust on the civic... D R O N E lol

But all the rear passangers I have complain about the exhaust being boomy ... not necessarily drone lol.
This is called either a soup can exhaust, a fart can exhaust, or a fart cannon exhaust 'round these parts. :lol: I HATE them. I don't blame you one bit lol

·
Registered
78 Posts
Not sure how many people in here have the AWE touring resonated edition, but apparently that's pretty tame and sounds great too.

·
Premium Member
1,176 Posts
Not sure how many people in here have the AWE touring resonated edition, but apparently that's pretty tame and sounds great too.
I had the AWE Touring, but it was a bit too loud for me. However, I will say that with even with my catted dp there was virtually zero drone. Before that I ran the MBRP, and only remember there being drone around the 2200-3000ish rpm range. That was while still running the stock dp. The Mrs. didn't think it was loud at all.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have found that the position sitting in the car has different resonance of drone. Drivers imo is definitely the loudest seat for drone. Passenger is quieter than drivers. Left rear is significantly less drone but more exhaust noise. And right rear has some drone. But this may be my car. I have messed with the exhaust so much it looks like a cobbled together piece of ****. Mine is the MBRP turboback catless and I also cut the resonator off and put in a straight section of 3in pipe. So much drone but then I had a j pipe installed. It is significantly quieter but still louder than with the resonator installed. Reason I took the resonator off; more turbo noise.

What I was getting at is this is a good Carmack but would recommend getting Cobb hangers and the red devil downpipe bracket. If u have a complaint about drone take it to a muffler shop and have the install a j pipe. It fit behind the rear bumper.

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
162 Posts
We haVEa MBRP GOING on a year now. Haven't ridden in any other cost with any diff set up. Have taken long trips of high speed highway.... Long up hill grades,. Canyon carving using 2n 3rd ...We think it's the best out there regardless of price, which is good by the way. Min amount of drone up front...Might be noisy in back seats but we didn't buy this car to cater to passengers lol. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2016 ST1, FBO, GTX2867R Gen2 .64-AR, Spec stage 2 clutch, Quaife LSD, Fortune Auto 500 coil-overs.
328 Posts
I went with the Mountune cat back for this exact reason.. Most of the exhausts on the market make you car sound like a ****ty fart cannon rice rocket. I myself laugh at those cars because they sound so stupid. Mountune is great because there is absolutely no drone at all, it still performs well and when you go WOT it has a very exotic high performance sound and gives off the whoooosh of high flow exhaust. If you want something loud that makes people around you turn there heads this ain't the one for you unless you're at wot then it does indeed sound high performance and modified.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I have the MBRP Catted DP and 3' exhaust and I like the sound and it passes the wife test. Sure it drones a little going up a grade if you mash the gas but it's still not that bad. That said I have been thinking about a AWE 180 resonator to see what happens.

What gets me more than the drone is driving with the rear windows down past 35 MPH. Whats up with that!?

·
Registered
475 Posts
A question for those who have an MBRP exhaust - how is the drone when driving highway speeds (70-80mph)?

I need to get an exhaust that is a bit quieter than the one I have (3" catback with resonator only). Someone recommended MBRP to me, but I haven't had a chance to hear one "in person". I need something quiet enough that it doesn't get annoying on longer trips.
A little plug but @Aristocrat Autosport has some killer pricing on the MBRP exhaust... Along with everything else!

349 Posts
Thanks @CaliJoe !! We always have good deals on MBRP items, one of our favorite brands to work with. If OP wants one, we can most definitely get him a good price!

As for the drone, it is so subjective it's hard to say. It depends on what you define as "a lot" of drone. With just a catback, most of the time people don't have any problem. But some people's ears are more sensitive.

We think it sounds great, but we all have loud cars here hahahaha

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
A little plug but @Aristocrat Autosport has some killer pricing on the MBRP exhaust... Along with everything else!
Thanks @CaliJoe !! We always have good deals on MBRP items, one of our favorite brands to work with. If OP wants one, we can most definitely get him a good price!

As for the drone, it is so subjective it's hard to say. It depends on what you define as "a lot" of drone. With just a catback, most of the time people don't have any problem. But some people's ears are more sensitive.

We think it sounds great, but we all have loud cars here hahahaha
They aren't lying :cool:

·
Registered
197 Posts
I have the stock downpipe with a Thermal R&D catback 3" exhaust. It has absolutely no drone at highway speeds. On level ground at highway speeds, I can't even hear the exhaust with the sunroof open to the "vent" position. I got mine on one of the group buys that Panda Motor Works ran on this forum.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just bought a 14' ST that came with the MBRP cat back setup. It's fine around town or on flat sections of freeway. Any additional load (driving uphill or passing someone) and the drone is super annoying. If you're driving solo and don't care about this, you'll probably like the exhaust. If you've got people in the back seats, be ready for complaints. For reference I've got a LS swapped dentside F150, mufflers dump infront of the rear wheels, it's not quiet at all - and I'm fine with how loud it is.
I called MBRP, they'll sell you a replacement muffler (PN# W190809) that will make it 10% quieter, but probably not improve the drone. They said drone is normal for this type of vehicle.
I think I'll be trying to find a stock ST exhaust to swap out. The "tone" isn't worth the annoyance for me.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
I just bought a 14' ST that came with the MBRP cat back setup. It's fine around town or on flat sections of freeway. Any additional load (driving uphill or passing someone) and the drone is super annoying. If you're driving solo and don't care about this, you'll probably like the exhaust. If you've got people in the back seats, be ready for complaints. For reference I've got a LS swapped dentside F150, mufflers dump infront of the rear wheels, it's not quiet at all - and I'm fine with how loud it is.
I called MBRP, they'll sell you a replacement muffler (PN# W190809) that will make it 10% quieter, but probably not improve the drone. They said drone is normal for this type of vehicle.
I think I'll be trying to find a stock ST exhaust to swap out. The "tone" isn't worth the annoyance for me.
This is exactly why we tell people drone is subjective ^

I have never seen someone think it was that annoying and I've never had a single passenger front or rear in the car complain...and I have a catless downpipe which makes it worse. I think the only way this car possibly could drone badly (in my eyes/ears) is if someone was in 6th gear going up a hill building over 6psi of boost like an idiot (LSPI be like :cool: lemme blow up your engine for you)

Every ear is different after all

Edit: Since the first reply I made in this thread back in Jan I now have a different girlfriend and it passes her test also :p so I am 3 for 3. My roof rack makes more noise from wind than the exhaust does cruising at 80mph down the highway.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts