Ford Focus ST Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Oh ya, I installed mine myself. I figured the aeroturbine AT3030 wouldn't be the correct length, but if it is i can definitely replace that myself. Don't worry about sound clips, you're right, mics can't pick up drone...

Do you think it was worth the $100 as far as how it changed the sound/reduced drone?

Aero Turbine Performance Exhaust AT3030 Muffler | eBay
I think it is. Now IMHO I would drive around with the exhaust as is for another few weeks at least to really get a feel for it. Also make sure all your clamps are tight and nothing is vibrating. I wouldn't just switch it out so fast because perhaps it is something you don't really need to do. Now I still get a little drone if I step on it in 6th to go 80+, or uphill and giving it gas, but cruising speeds are pretty tame, at least for my ears. My exhaust is less boomy than it was as well.

Full disclosure I also have the Stratified loud pops & crackles tune so I enjoy noise, but the Aeroturbine seemed to tame the drone and increase a little low in gurgle which I love (this I noted before I had my stratified tune). Remember it is all subjective. Some say the MBRP is loud, other say it is too quiet. Some hear drone, others do not. I came from an unresonated Honda that droned like crazy. If you came from a tame car it will sound super loud. Imagine riding in a straight piped mustang 5.0...that makes your brain rattle haha.

·
Registered
50 Posts
FWIW, I've had great success with Vibrant's Ultra Quiet Resonators cutting down on rasp and drone. I welded one in to the tunnel on my SE's J2 catback, right after the two bolt flange from the downpipe.

·
Registered
45 Posts
let me save all of you guys even more $... Jones Exhaust MAKES the Aero Turbine mufflers, Aero marks them up for their brand of course.

$64.95 shipped for the Jones JT3030 muffler - vs - $112+ shipped for the Aero AT3030 - same EXACT muffler
Jones Exhaust Turbine Muffler - 304 Stainless Steel - 3" - Throaty Sound! | eBay

and if you want a resonated version to tone done the sound more, go with the JT3030XL version.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
I am definitely interested is this thread, the ST I just bough came with a MBRP, and for the most part I do like the sound of it, but I don't like how much it drones once the revs get above 2500 with even the slightest bit of load on the engine. its totally fine when I'm by myself with the windows down and the weak ass Sony system turned up to "maximum" but when the wife is in the car and we are trying to talk, its just a little more than I'd like. I've been heavily thinking about modifying the exhaust to either replace the MBRP muffler or just move it forward a little bit and add a second one. not that I cant stand it now, but I do plan on eventually going with their catless DP and definitely don't want it getting any louder than it is right now. its either that or hack up the rear of the system and add a "J" pipe.

·
Registered
104 Posts
oh boy can I relate to this thread and the OP! I just installed the MBRP catback still on the stock downpipe and even though I love the sound, especially outside of the car, it can be unbearable at times. Its not so much that it's loud but it's BOOMY and resonates too much inside the cabin with the windows up. The resonance when going up a hill between 2k-3.5k RPM's and building a bit of boost is headache inducing. Again its not so much the loudness but the frequency at which it resonates. Has anyone here done anything to successfully take care of this issue?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Its weird how subjective drone is. I have the MBRP catback with a stock downpipe and I think the drone is minimal. Only when you accelerate at low rpms. But its a high flow 3" exhaust so that's to be expected. Make sure nothing is toughing/rubbing that will cause a drone-like effect. I spent a long time under my car adjusting the clamps and repositioning it to make sure nothing touches. I noticed it could be perfect but when you tighten all the clamps or drive it for a bit it can shift.

Reactions: CaliJoe

·
Registered
475 Posts
^^^^ This, I have very little drone with my MBRP cat-back, only a little under hard acceleration going up hill. Crawl under your car and make sure none of the clamps are touching anything, I bet you guys with the major drone, something is touching something somewhere.

·
Registered
220 Posts
See this is why we always preach about how subjective drone is. Majority of people consider the MBRP to be a "quiet" exhaust with little to no drone at all, but we are all different. So OP you could relate to Nick here and simply not like the exhaust. While me and several others literally can barely get it to drone if we TRY to (6th gear and almost lugging the motor with slight boost up a hill lol). Exhausts are finicky subjects and so are the ears that hear them. Also why it is SO widely suggested to take a ride in an ST with this that and the other exhaust to get a feel for them.

There ya go, solid option!
I agree 100%. I'd like to rule out the quality of the exhaust by installing a droning MBRP exhaust that the OP has with an MBRP exhaust (same part #) that does not drone from another member. This would essentially rule out the quality of the exhaust. If the OP's car still drones, then it is subjective as you stated, Brian. If the other guy's car drones now, well you have an issue with the exhaust.

·
Registered
474 Posts
oh boy can I relate to this thread and the OP! I just installed the MBRP catback still on the stock downpipe and even though I love the sound, especially outside of the car, it can be unbearable at times. Its not so much that it's loud but it's BOOMY and resonates too much inside the cabin with the windows up. The resonance when going up a hill between 2k-3.5k RPM's and building a bit of boost is headache inducing. Again its not so much the loudness but the frequency at which it resonates. Has anyone here done anything to successfully take care of this issue?
I installed dynamat equivalent to reduce vibrations and mass loaded vinyl to block sound in the rear hatch and spare tire area and it did make a noticeable improvement. You certainly can still hear it but it dulled it down to where it doesn't quite bother me as much.

Also - check your air filter. I know this sounds bizarre but I had a mountune filter that was pretty dirty. I replaced it and the drone on the highway hills was reduced. My guess is that the cleaner air filter required me to use less throttle to climb the hills which reduced the load on the engine. The old filter was pretty bad so it was a noticeable improvement. I know it sounds kind of crazy but even my wife noticed it on our next road trip.

·
Registered
45 Posts
For those dealing with or concerned about drone/being too loud with MBRP or any other exhaust...

I HIGHLY recommend installing one of these mufflers from Jones (aka Aero Muffler) into your exhaust systems:
http://m.ebay.com/itm/171699889393?_mwBanner=1

Jones is the manufacturer for Aero and the price is a lot cheaper than the "Aero" brand.

I have used these on several cars to tone down the exhaust "drone" and it works great! I will plan to do this to my ST as well.

I have the MBRP dual exhaust on my V6 Tacoma and it was a super drone! After a couple weeks, I couldn't take it anymore and installed one of those Jones' mufflers and now it's extremely enjoyable and not an ear drum deafening drone.

·
Registered
162 Posts
We have the MBRP and feel it's the way the car should sound. What we hear is a nice low to mid throaty sound that you can shift the car to. Me and the wife have taken the car on long trips, on fast track canyon runs etc etc. We drove this car the way it was designed to be driven. IMO best cat out there . Don't use cheap hangers, make install tight and enjoy. If this is too much for you I'd stick to stock quiet exhaust.

·
Registered
45 Posts
If this is too much for you I'd stick to stock quiet exhaust.
No offense, but to each their own... we ALL hear sounds in different frequencies. Some of us want the louder rumble, but may hear drone where others don't hear it due to our hearing differences... so a slight change (adding muffler/resonator) to tune the sound to be more pleasant and friendlier to our ears. Doesn't mean they shouldn't upgrade the exhaust due to having a little bit different frequency of hearing.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
I don't mind a loud exhaust at all, but drone at hwy speeds with the ever so slightest throttle application or going slightly up hill is just annoying.

I guess that means I should have just stuck to the stock exhaust...

21 - 39 of 39 Posts