Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, after several months of saving, watching and waiting I pulled the trigger on an MBRP cat-back. Got it installed this past friday, install wasn't too bad for the most part, a bit tricky at some parts with it being only me, but i got it all put together and tightened down. Mind you, this is the first cat-back I've ever owned.

I started it up and it sounded great with those low gurggles right at/off idle. Took it for a drive and immediately was kinda surprised at how loud it was. It had a good tone, but i was less happy or maybe just more shocked than I figured I would be. I decided to go to bed as it was late and test it after some sleep.

Next day, took it for a drive, and I liked it, although it still was a bit drone-y at certain engine speeds and I keep noticing what feels like almost some back pressure when coming off throttle. Later that day took the wife and kids somewhere in it, they didnt notice it too much, but a couple times up a hill they started complaining about how loud it was...

Been taking each day trying to figure out if I just was in an off mood the day before or what. But overall, its just louder and drones more up hills and on the highway than I though. If im cruising at 70mph in 6th and want to speed up 5-10mph, its loud and im deterred from doing it just because of that...

So, I wanted to ask if, A) maybe i installed something wrong, though I don't know what or B) I'm just a noob and didnt know what to expect in an aftermarket cat-back?

Don't get me wrong, at full throttle it sound great, but im wishing that i could turn it down otherwise as it can be slightly annoying. Is this normal? Is it just me?

·
Premium Member
1,204 Posts
I had the same experience. I noticed that at WOT it's really loud. Normal acceleration is not bad, kind of deep and smooth. I found at about 2200 rpm there is a bit of drone. I've noticed that after a few hundred miles, I don't notice it as much. Perhaps there is some carbon buildup going on that smoothed it out a bit. Or perhaps I've just gotten used to it. I have a new Mountune catback system sitting in the garage that I'm going to put in when I go with a upgraded downpipe. As for the loud WOT, can't see that going away anytime soon. Just the nature of a 3" exhaust.

·
Registered
547 Posts
That's just they way it is with aftermarket exhaust, they drone. Some more then others. With me it's a love hate relationship.

I sold my Magnaflow and picked up the Mountune Cat back, and wouldn't want anything else. call me old, but that drone drives e crazy!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wonder how the CNT sounds in comparison to the Mountune? I was going to go with that, its a 2.5.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I wonder how the CNT sounds in comparison to the Mountune? I was going to go with that, its a 2.5.
I have a CNT downpipe and had problems installing as the bracket at the bottom was waaaaay off. Hopefully the CNT catback has better fitment.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Not sure, but I know the MT is one of the quieter setups

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Drone is subjective. I have the MBRP and at times I feel it is too quiet. Are WOT, going uphill, and under heavy load and can get a bit boomy. I'm probably going to add a catless DP which will make it louder still.

Did you delete the sound symposer? Also compared to stock the MBRP is night and say as far as loudness.

I would give it more time because you will get used to it, or you could sell it and get something else, but the quieter setups (miltek, mountune) cost more. Your other option is a muffler swap too quiet it down.

Sent from Hoth Rebel Base

Reactions: brian60

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
Drone is subjective. I have the MBRP and at times I feel it is too quiet. Are WOT, going uphill, and under heavy load and can get a bit boomy. I'm probably going to add a catless DP which will make it louder still.

Did you delete the sound symposer? Also compared to stock the MBRP is night and say as far as loudness.

I would give it more time because you will get used to it, or you could sell it and get something else, but the quieter setups (miltek, mountune) cost more. Your other option is a muffler swap too quiet it down.

Yeah without my downpipe I think I would be in the same exact mindset as HBGeek. It's JUST the amount of loud I want so without the DP it would probably not be loud enough to my liking. It is subjective, yes, but I do think it has to do with it being your first ever cat back also. If you've never been behind the wheel of a car with volume to it, then it'll sound loud. Even if it "isn't that loud." Get behind the wheel of some other REALLY LOUD vehicles (even when cruising) and you quickly realize it's rather mellow. Everyone is different though, so you totally might not be a fan of the MBRP, that's totally subjective also. I'd say give it a few more weeks. To help with the speeding up 5-10mph drone issue, I've found that although it sounds like it wouldn't make sense...downshifting vs building 2-4psi of boost is quieter. Building boost is when our catback really wakes up. So, downshifting causes noticeable audible increase, but less so than building a few pounds of boost. Passing someone at 70-80mph when I try to speed up 5-10 I just go to 5th and I'm at 3.5-4k rpm of course, but it's less "droney" than staying in 6th and building a little boost.

Does that help? Unless that IS what you are doing lol then you just gotta hope you get used to it I suppose.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My dad mentioned having a bunch of exhaust wrap for his motorcycle and said that may help if we wrap the muffler with it as it may reduce some resonating...Has anyone tried that?

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
My dad mentioned having a bunch of exhaust wrap for his motorcycle and said that may help if we wrap the muffler with it as it may reduce some resonating...Has anyone tried that?
I haven't tried it, but there is a chance of that working. Question for you I should have asked previously, did you upgrade your hangers to Cobb hangers? If not, get under and check for contact marks along the exhaust. Make sure it isn't contacting/vibrating against anything down there, my downpipe had a rattle at first and it made the exhaust SO MUCH LOUDER and droney. It was awful getting going from a stop and I was going to uninstall it before I realized it was rubbing and causing severe resonance.

Another option, replace either one of the resonators or another location with a performance muffler. It might quiet it down a little more than the normal MBRP resonators.

Reactions: HBGeek

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
The first time I got in a car that had MBRP I was convinced I never wanted it. drone may be subjective but MBRP has bad drone.

no its not just a 3" exhaust thing.. I have the Greddy and it is amazing, i can drive @ 75 and no drone. nothing like the MBRP and is better build quality also.

I do not support MBRP products in any way shape or form. have had to many problems with them!

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I haven't tried it, but there is a chance of that working. Question for you I should have asked previously, did you upgrade your hangers to Cobb hangers? If not, get under and check for contact marks along the exhaust. Make sure it isn't contacting/vibrating against anything down there, my downpipe had a rattle at first and it made the exhaust SO MUCH LOUDER and droney. It was awful getting going from a stop and I was going to uninstall it before I realized it was rubbing and causing severe resonance.

Another option, replace either one of the resonators or another location with a performance muffler. It might quiet it down a little more than the normal MBRP resonators.
I replaced the front resonator with the aeroturbine AT3030 and it reduced drone.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Ya, i wanted to get back under it soon to check and make sure everything is still tight and that it wasn't vibrating on anything. I'll double-check that soon. I don't think it is however.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
The first time I got in a car that had MBRP I was convinced I never wanted it. drone may be subjective but MBRP has bad drone.

no its not just a 3" exhaust thing.. I have the Greddy and it is amazing, i can drive @ 75 and no drone. nothing like the MBRP and is better build quality also.

I do not support MBRP products in any way shape or form. have had to many problems with them!
See this is why we always preach about how subjective drone is. Majority of people consider the MBRP to be a "quiet" exhaust with little to no drone at all, but we are all different. So OP you could relate to Nick here and simply not like the exhaust. While me and several others literally can barely get it to drone if we TRY to (6th gear and almost lugging the motor with slight boost up a hill lol). Exhausts are finicky subjects and so are the ears that hear them. Also why it is SO widely suggested to take a ride in an ST with this that and the other exhaust to get a feel for them.

I replaced the front resonator with the aeroturbine AT3030 and it reduced drone.

There ya go, solid option!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Any sound clips? How much did that cost? Did you have a shop do it?

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
Honestly I doubt it would be over $200 depending on the shop. The part is like $100 and they SHOULD be able to install it for $50. Several people have done it on here with different exhausts

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
See this is why we always preach about how subjective drone is. Majority of people consider the MBRP to be a "quiet" exhaust with little to no drone at all, but we are all different. So OP you could relate to Nick here and simply not like the exhaust. While me and several others literally can barely get it to drone if we TRY to (6th gear and almost lugging the motor with slight boost up a hill lol). Exhausts are finicky subjects and so are the ears that hear them. Also why it is SO widely suggested to take a ride in an ST with this that and the other exhaust to get a feel for them.

There ya go, solid option!
yeah it is of course subjective but I have heard just about every exhaust on the market. my ear is the same in every car I get into. MBRP isn't crazy loud but if the OP post doesn't like it then that is all that really matters.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
What kind of sound clip do you want? Cold start, idle, rev? My phone won't pick up drone adequately in my car.

It was just under $100 on eBay I believe.

I had a shop do it, but if you installed your exhaust yourself it is a direct fit replacement for the front muffler near the DP.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
yeah it is of course subjective but I have heard just about every exhaust on the market. my ear is the same in every car I get into. MBRP isn't crazy loud but if the OP post doesn't like it then that is all that really matters.
Other than the Mountune the MBRP was the quietest that I've heard in my case. The Borla was the loudest and the Magnaflow was similar to the MBRP. The Borla made me want to jump out of the car, it was awful and headache city. I still think that my MBRP is quieter than the car I rode in...and he didn't have a downpipe. So that's an interesting thing to note.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
What kind of sound clip do you want? Cold start, idle, rev? My phone won't pick up drone adequately in my car.

It was just under $100 on eBay I believe.

I had a shop do it, but if you installed your exhaust yourself it is a direct fit replacement for the front muffler near the DP.

Oh ya, I installed mine myself. I figured the aeroturbine AT3030 wouldn't be the correct length, but if it is i can definitely replace that myself. Don't worry about sound clips, you're right, mics can't pick up drone...

Do you think it was worth the $100 as far as how it changed the sound/reduced drone?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aero-Turbin...m33b734ca53:m:m9g8kXurGGQP0eDYQwNks0w&vxp=mtr

Reactions: HBGeek
1 - 20 of 39 Posts