Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I gotta question, I just got my catless downpipe from Depo and I'm wanting to install it but I have an MBRP catback exhaust and I'm wondering if I need that 3 inch extension that I believe comes with the mbrp downpipe to install the depo downpipe?

·
Registered
2016 Magnetic Metallic ST3
317 Posts
The flange end of the depo downpipe will have slotted holes so its possible to mate directly to the 2.5" stock size catback to the 3" end of the downpipe. Provided you have a gasket that has the smaller inner diameter for the 2.5" flange and larger outer diameter for the 3" flange.
There are also adapter flanges that will sandwhich a gasket on either side, in this case a 2.5" on one side and 3" on the other.
There are extensions that comes with various downpipes that neck down for a smoother transition from 3" to 2.5". Its probably the best solution for preserving exhaust flow for the stock catback or 2.5" aftermarket catbacks. Its a negligible performance difference in this instance, but if you feel strongly about it, you don't have to buy the mbrp one specifically. :)

·
Super Moderator
11,538 Posts
Hey I gotta question, I just got my catless downpipe from Depo and I'm wanting to install it but I have an MBRP catback exhaust and I'm wondering if I need that 3 inch extension that I believe comes with the mbrp downpipe to install the depo downpipe?
This is what I use, it is 3" on one side and 2.5" on the other, as previously mentioned. It does need both size gaskets. It has nice flared ends that fit inside the exhaust to smooth the flow. The one I got is stainless; this one is mild steel.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The flange end of the depo downpipe will have slotted holes so its possible to mate directly to the 2.5" stock size catback to the 3" end of the downpipe. Provided you have a gasket that has the smaller inner diameter for the 2.5" flange and larger outer diameter for the 3" flange.
There are also adapter flanges that will sandwhich a gasket on either side, in this case a 2.5" on one side and 3" on the other.
There are extensions that comes with various downpipes that neck down for a smoother transition from 3" to 2.5". Its probably the best solution for preserving exhaust flow for the stock catback or 2.5" aftermarket catbacks. Its a negligible performance difference in this instance, but if you feel strongly about it, you don't have to buy the mbrp one specifically. :)
This is what I use, it is 3" on one side and 2.5" on the other, as previously mentioned. It does need both size gaskets. It has nice flared ends that fit inside the exhaust to smooth the flow. The one I got is stainless; this one is mild steel.
Hey man thanks a lot for the info I really appreciate it! I will definitely look into that. The MBRP exhaust was on the car when I bought it so I just want to be sure that when I get under there and go to install the downpipe that everything hooks up nicely

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey man thanks a lot for the info. I'm gonna go ahead and purchase one of those adapters and get the gaskets.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts