Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had my 1st encounter with a msp3 on the highway today. I was quite impressed with the performance of it for the short distance we got to play but unfortunately too much traffic to really go head to head. From what I could tell it seemed dead even I couldn't pull away on him and he couldn't pull on me from different starting speeds. I wasn't too familiar with them but after doing some research they seemed to be a big competitor back in the day.
I wonder if mazda will eventually bring em back with awd to try and take the hot hatch market now that Hyundai and Honda have stepped up the game and the RS leaving the USA

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
So I had my 1st encounter with a msp3 on the highway today. I was quite impressed with the performance of it for the short distance we got to play but unfortunately too much traffic to really go head to head. From what I could tell it seemed dead even I couldn't pull away on him and he couldn't pull on me from different starting speeds. I wasn't too familiar with them but after doing some research they seemed to be a big competitor back in the day.
I wonder if mazda will eventually bring em back with awd to try and take the hot hatch market now that Hyundai and Honda have stepped up the game and the RS leaving the USA
I moved this thread to ST vs the competition, but yes the MS3 is absolutely one of our fiercest competitors. Their larger motors definitely make them formidable, the only advantage is our chassis is a little more stable and as a result things like torque steer are HORRIBLE on the MS3. Seriously people new to our car think we have bad torque steer. Our torque steer is a joke. Drive a tuned MS3 once.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Ironically enough I have the 17 ST and my wife has a 13 MS3. The things I've noticed is that the MS pulls well at high RPM but lacks low-end grunt. I also noticed that the interior feels completely plastic, and the steering is vague

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I moved this thread to ST vs the competition, but yes the MS3 is absolutely one of our fiercest competitors. Their larger motors definitely make them formidable, the only advantage is our chassis is a little more stable and as a result things like torque steer are HORRIBLE on the MS3. Seriously people new to our car think we have bad torque steer. Our torque steer is a joke. Drive a tuned MS3 once.
I watched this head to head comparison video from motortrend which showed the crazy torque steer of the MS3 vs the ST

Reactions: Griiswold

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Reactions: oVrKiLL

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
Ironically enough I have the 17 ST and my wife has a 13 MS3. The things I've noticed is that the MS pulls well at high RPM but lacks low-end grunt. I also noticed that the interior feels completely plastic, and the steering is vague
Aesthetically, our car is much improved over the MS3 (our interior is seriously damn good minus some rattles), and driving experience is as well. Shifting, steering response, stability, power curve, clutch engagement, braking, etc. all feel better in our car. They have the upper RPM power namely due to their extra .3L and intentionally tuning it to be longer...plus imagine if it was adjusted to hit sooner like our car...torque steer on that thing is already bad enough.

I watched this head to head comparison video from motortrend which showed the crazy torque steer of the MS3 vs the ST

It's wicked. It's commonly complained about because it causes legitimate issue trying to drive it hard because you have to actively fight it so much it takes you away from the experience.

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I noticed it also comes with a LSD, how was the pricing back in 13' vs. the ST?

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
I noticed it also comes with a LSD, how was the pricing back in 13' vs. the ST?
Base price of 23,950 and loaded was like 25,800. They only had one major option package, which as you could tell was like 1,800 bucks.

Edit: So, essentially, it wasn't more expensive. Yeah we have cooler features with the fully loaded ST3...but it is $31,xxx so...yeah...still not sure why Ford can't work on it.

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's not a bad price wonder why the market wasn't there to keep production going for Mazda....I used to have an older rx-7 that was fun to drive even took it to a few scca parking lot races a couple times,it handled pretry decent considering the older late 80's early 90's technology. my old honda crx si was a blast to drive on the back roads too.

·
Registered
483 Posts
A friend of mine I used to track with had one that had basically a stage 3 tune. I was tracking my 1990 GT that had the basic old school 5.0 bolt on mods. It would leave my ass in the dust every time we hit a straight.

Reactions: SiThlord

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
I read somewhere that we can use the transmission or LSD out of the Mazda.
No idea if it's true. Doesn't sound right to me.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Yeah, the MS3's are one of our best adversaries but we out handle them and generally put our power down better. They'll have more top end because of the slightly bigger engine and turbo, but we'll kill them down low.

·
Registered
53 Posts
The torque steer on my stock MS3 didn't bother me. But one time I was accelerating over some sharp humpback hills and the front end got light. The steering wheel jerked really violently, I remembered not to do that again lol.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
The torque steer on my stock MS3 didn't bother me. But one time I was accelerating over some sharp humpback hills and the front end got light. The steering wheel jerked really violently, I remembered not to do that again lol.
Lol it sounds like one shoe came off the ground...typically that only happens in the rear (autocross hitting turns and lifting the outside up for example) but in the front that might cause some issues like violent jerking :lol:

·
Registered
224 Posts
I was a Mazda girl prior to my ST. The main reason I left when I sold my Mazda3 was because they stopped making the speed3 and Mazda came right out and called the speed3 childish and that they would not be producing them anymore. That along with the poorly appointed interior and feel of them I saw from driving my friends speed3. The ST is just all around a much better put together car IMO. Also that fact that Ford is still producing them and supporting them is a huge plus. Mazda lost me when they made what I think was a stupid move to loose the speed line.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
I was a Mazda girl prior to my ST. The main reason I left when I sold my Mazda3 was because they stopped making the speed3 and Mazda came right out and called the speed3 childish and that they would not be producing them anymore. That along with the poorly appointed interior and feel of them I saw from driving my friends speed3. The ST is just all around a much better put together car IMO. Also that fact that Ford is still producing them and supporting them is a huge plus. Mazda lost me when they made what I think was a stupid move to loose the speed line.
Agreed on how Mazda handled the platform. Meanwhile the new Ford CEO specifically discussed the performance line of the Focus and Fusion and how he has special plans for them...as Mazda ditches it and the GTI keeps being the GTI. Sucks that the hot hatch scene isn't as competitive as it once was to Subie and Mazda. Meanwhile Hyundai comes in and obviously Honda are approaching us as well.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I considered the last generation MS3, but passed on it due to the ride quality and booming exhaust, which I thought made it unsuitable for the long commute I had at the time. Since then, I've driven a few Focus STs, and I think it's vastly superior overall. It has comparable performance, and better ride AND handling. Much less road noise too, which remains an issue with most Mazdas. Honestly, I don't think the ST gets enough credit for how well it combines hot hatch goodness with suitability for the daily grind. I don't have one, but I'm seriously tempted by the great deals out there on ST3s.

Anecdote on the MS3 v. ST: I tested an early MS3 with my dad, who must have been in his 60s. He absolutely loved it, especially the insanely great handling. He wanted one, but I guess thought it didn't fit his station in life. A few years later, after I tested an ST for the first time, I immediately called my dad, and said: "Remember how much you loved that Mazdaspeed 3? Well, I just drove a new Focus ST, and it's better." He's a total Ford guy and briefly considered an ST around 2014, but he's given up manuals.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I also noticed that the interior feels completely plastic, and the steering is vague
I was going to say the same thing. I used to like the older Mazda's. It seems during the last several years they are using all cheap plastics. I rode in a friend's CX-5 and a Mazda 3. Then I get back in the Ford and the Ford seems to be build so much better. It's like they are not building anything to last anymore. They just want to keep milking the public to keep buying cars. Maybe some of us would rather keep our cars 15+ years and get our money's worth. Not all of us want a lifetime of car payments.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Have a cx-7 awd 2.3 turbo. It is very plastic inside. Cheap! But it is like a tank in the snow! The 2.3 turbo had some timing belt issues if I remember right

1 - 20 of 22 Posts