Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im bone stock minus green filter and rear motor mount. I belive Im runing rich not sure. I just changed my spark plug, now the previouse spark plug were rythinium ngk 6510 step colder. They were gaped .031 these are the previouse spark plug that my mechanique removed and give me.

After this I had my mechanique install, motorcraft sp550 ridium and pregaped them my self before giving them to .027. If Im runing rich what could I do to fix it? Can cold weather make car run rich its -6degress here I think its 20F but it does 7 months of -30 d wich is -22f. Than we have 3 months of 30d =85f. Can a kam reset fix it?

·
Registered
2016 ST2, Absolute Black, Turbosmart BPV, Dual OCCs, Innovative RMM, JBR Intake & SS Arm, 245/40R18
789 Posts
How long do you typically drive at a time?
It can take some time to warm completely up in colder weather.

Why do you think it's running rich?
GDI engines make more carbon, noticeable on exhaust tips, etc.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How long do you typically drive at a time?
It can take some time to warm completely up in colder weather.

Why do you think it's running rich?
GDI engines make more carbon, noticeable on exhaust tips, etc.
Quite alot actualy, I do 46km about for 3 days. Just back and fourth from work, than other day 16km back and forth. Exept weekends, I dont use car in winter mostly. The spark plug with white tip and carbon build, I thought its a sing of running rich??

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Quite alot actualy, I do 46km about for 3 days. Just back and fourth from work, than other day 16km back and forth. Exept weekends, I dont use car in winter mostly. The spark plug with white tip and carbon build, I thought its a sing of running rich??
Carbon build up happens regardless. Those plugs don't look like anything out of the ordinary.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Carbon build up happens regardless. Those plugs don't look like anything out of the ordinary.
Your right Im getting to paranoid for nothing its normal in turbo cars. If anything Il get a cheack engine light wich I dont have 😆 Im doing bad mpg wich is 22 but I guess its normal because its cold weather were 1 c wich is 30 but tonight its -6 wich is 18f.

·
Registered
2016 ST2, Absolute Black, Turbosmart BPV, Dual OCCs, Innovative RMM, JBR Intake & SS Arm, 245/40R18
789 Posts
I get 22 just driving around town in NC in warmer weather than you. It goes up around 28+ if I'm mostly highway and not driving too fast. The computer is 1.5-2 mpg optimistic compared to reality.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I get 22 just driving around town in NC in warmer weather than you. It goes up around 28+ if I'm mostly highway and not driving too fast. The computer is 1.5-2 mpg optimistic compared to reality.
Ahh so the computer is not accurate its like 1.5-2mpg + off? So if Im doing 22mpg its actualy 24mpg??

·
Registered
789 Posts
Ahh so the computer is not accurate its like 1.5-2mpg + off? So if Im doing 22mpg its actualy 24mpg??
No, other way ☹. My computer says 24, the math on the fillup is probably about 22.5.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No, other way ☹. My computer says 24, the math on the fillup is probably about 22.5.
Ah 😅 ok so ford exagerrated our focus ST great mpg? Wich is 25+?

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
No, there's a multitude of factors in play, to name a few:

• Gas quality & octane
  • Environmental factors
  • Driving routines/habits
Really depends on where you live and how you drive. Don't buy a performance car to live by MPG.

·
Registered
789 Posts
I've had mine a little over a year now. Much higher percentage of city driving with the virus and WFH. In a little over 8,000 mi:
Low 18.5
Avg 24
High 29.5

·
2,765 Posts
No, as stated above, lots of factors. I'll Add to that list and include geography. Someone that lived in the great planes will always get better mpg than someone in hilly areas, assuming the same driving style.

If you drive a whole tank of gas on 55mph roads, youll get your best MPG. I had this scenario once and i got 32mpg. Usually ill get 27 to 28 if i actually stay at or below 65, and 25mpg when I run 80mph all week.

Reactions: MtnMan

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No, there's a multitude of factors in play, to name a few:

• Gas quality & octane
  • Environmental factors
  • Driving routines/habits
Really depends on where you live and how you drive. Don't buy a performance car to live by MPG.
Here were I live I have no problem with gas Im always runing 94 octain. I did noticed other day My mpg went from 21.9 to 22.5 it went up but the weather is also getting warmer from -6 to 10+. So im puting more into weather factor. Could also be the road here are crap and garbage full of cracks pot holes up and down never plane smoth straight its bouncing.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No, as stated above, lots of factors. I'll Add to that list and include geography. Someone that lived in the great planes will always get better mpg than someone in hilly areas, assuming the same driving style.

If you drive a whole tank of gas on 55mph roads, youll get your best MPG. I had this scenario once and i got 32mpg. Usually ill get 27 to 28 if i actually stay at or below 65, and 25mpg when I run 80mph all week.
😆 I do 60 -65 mph all week and get 22mpg but I did noticed going from 21.9 to 22.5 but weather got warmer

1 - 14 of 14 Posts