Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been considering downsizing to a FiST for a little while.
Assuming that I can sell the FoST and get a new FiST without having to pay anything, I might just do that.

I love the Focus but I drove the Fiesta at the Octane Academy and I liked it too.
I'm used to smaller cars anyway.

Pros and Cons? opinions?

·
Premium Member
3,732 Posts
I've been considering downsizing to a FiST for a little while.
Assuming that I can sell the FoST and get a new FiST without having to pay anything, I might just do that.

I love the Focus but I drove the Fiesta at the Octane Academy and I liked it too.
I'm used to smaller cars anyway.

Pros and Cons? opinions?
FoST is faster and more space. Other than that not much of a difference.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Pros of the FiST: Better fuel economy, more nimble

Cons: Zero back seat legroom, less space overall, loss of power, low safety rating, it's a Fiesta...

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Personally I strongly dislike the shifter assembly and height in the FiST. To quote something I read a while back "the shifter felt like a broken chicken wing"
I also felt like the dash and other things in the front of the car were too far away from me.
Exterior wise I think the FiST looks great, and its pretty quick.
If you plan on modding, I dont know how much room for improvement there is performance wise unless you go BT, I think I recall reading the turbo is even smaller than our KO3.

At the end of the day, its your call. But I personally like the space, the weight, the interior and the performance feel of the FoST better than the FiST

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
Pros of the FiST: Better fuel economy, more nimble

Cons: Zero back seat legroom, less space overall, loss of power, low safety rating, it's a Fiesta...
I highlighted the reasons I wouldn't own one from Mr. Bryman's post.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Reactions: Darkdayz23

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Fiesta has a harsher ride and the interior is cramped and pretty low-rent.

That said, they're a better drivers car than the Focus.

All depends on what you value more. I wouldn't switch to a Fiesta because my Focus is primarily used for commuting and I prefer the added comfort. If I was looking for something that I was just going to drive for fun, I'd go Fiesta.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Test drove a FoST and a FiST... the lady immediately said no to the FiST due to a lack of interior space. She is tiny and she said she didn't have enough space sitting in the passenger seat. Buddy of mine has the FiST and loves it.... primarily comes down to interior space.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks, that's actually helpful.
The Focus is my DD and I tend to drive a fair amount (80 miles/day or so) but I don't care much about comfort. The coil overs on the Focus are really stiff and it makes for a pretty harsh ride.

I guess that space could be an issue since I drive my kid to hockey at least twice a week and I already have troubles putting his gimongous bag in the trunk.

Another possibility is to go nuts and buy the FiST "for the kid" since he just turned 16, hehehe, that's an evil plan though :saint:

·
Super Moderator
10,098 Posts
Thanks, that's actually helpful.
The Focus is my DD and I tend to drive a fair amount (80 miles/day or so) but I don't care much about comfort. The coil overs on the Focus are really stiff and it makes for a pretty harsh ride.

I guess that space could be an issue since I drive my kid to hockey at least twice a week and I already have troubles putting his gimongous bag in the trunk.

Another possibility is to go nuts and buy the FiST "for the kid" since he just turned 16, hehehe, that's an evil plan though :saint:
For a 16 year old...get one of these:
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Hatchback

·
Registered
744 Posts
I've considered selling my FoST for a FiST before. It seems if you plan on going BT or really going for high performance, the FiST may be an overall better platform. That being said, since I DD my FoST and drive 350+ miles a week, I don't think I could ever make the change. I'm 5'11 200lbs. and while the FoST's full-leather Recaro's were a little tight when I first got the car, I've gotten used to them and I find them perfect. Because of the FiST's narrower seats, I don't think I would ever be able to get fully used to them and that by itself is pretty much a deal-breaker. Other issues are with the decrease in space...I frequently have friends and family in the back seats and I'd prefer not to get complaints about the lack of room in the back. My job also requires me to frequently carry a lot of equipment to the point where I had my FoST's hatch, back seat, and passenger seat filled.

And then it's just personal preference things...I really don't like the aesthetics of the FiST's rear tail lights and exhaust. I really am not a fan of the FiST's console and dash layout. I don't know, some things are petty and some things are legitimate concerns for me. Ultimately, I don't think the FiST was made for me. Maybe I could make the jump if I was really into performance and tracking but I'm not. I do plan on BT'ing my FoST eventually but as it is, I don't track my car and I have zero plans to do so. So while the FiST may be a better platform, I doubt the difference is really noticeable on the street or on the highway.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
I've considered selling my FoST for a FiST before. It seems if you plan on going BT or really going for high performance, the FiST may be an overall better platform. That being said, since I DD my FoST and drive 350+ miles a week, I don't think I could ever make the change. I'm 5'11 200lbs. and while the FoST's full-leather Recaro's were a little tight when I first got the car, I've gotten used to them and I find them perfect. Because of the FiST's narrower seats, I don't think I would ever be able to get fully used to them and that by itself is pretty much a deal-breaker. Other issues are with the decrease in space...I frequently have friends and family in the back seats and I'd prefer not to get complaints about the lack of room in the back. My job also requires me to frequently carry a lot of equipment to the point where I had my FoST's hatch, back seat, and passenger seat filled.

And then it's just personal preference things...I really don't like the aesthetics of the FiST's rear tail lights and exhaust. I really am not a fan of the FiST's console and dash layout. I don't know, some things are petty and some things are legitimate concerns for me. Ultimately, I don't think the FiST was made for me. Maybe I could make the jump if I was really into performance and tracking but I'm not. I do plan on BT'ing my FoST eventually but as it is, I don't track my car and I have zero plans to do so. So while the FiST may be a better platform, I doubt the difference is really noticeable on the street or on the highway.
Is it really that much different performance wise? I didn't previously know it was a better platform for higher performance, unless it's due to weight or smaller size or something?

·
Registered
744 Posts
Is it really that much different performance wise? I didn't previously know it was a better platform for higher performance, unless it's due to weight or smaller size or something?
I believe weight is the major factor. The FiST, while not as powerful, does handle better than the FoST. Also, the FiST handles torque steer much better than the FoST. You can have a 350+whp FiST and still barely feel any torque steer. You're right, under normal circumstances and even just under spirited driving, the performance difference between the two is negligible. On a track and with similar power, that's where the FiST shines.

·
Registered
304 Posts
the new FiST was just revealed. take a look at that new one, where it has some nice interior upgrades and styling changes

·
Registered
506 Posts
The engines are alot stronger than ours. compare their blown engine thread to ours and you will see that there are many more posts here. Granted the FoST sells. But they also do not have a headifold which allows for redesigned headers. It is defintely a better performance oriented car, but it lacks too many creature comforts for a DD to me.

the new FiST was just revealed. take a look at that new one, where it has some nice interior upgrades and styling changes
That is the euro spec FiST that they debuted and they didnt show the ST model. They only showed the ST-line which is the bastard child between a regular fiesta and an ST (All show no go).

·
Registered
304 Posts
The engines are alot stronger than ours. compare their blown engine thread to ours and you will see that there are many more posts here. Granted the FoST sells. But they also do not have a headifold which allows for redesigned headers. It is defintely a better performance oriented car, but it lacks too many creature comforts for a DD to me.

That is the euro spec FiST that they debuted and they didnt show the ST model. They only showed the ST-line which is the bastard child between a regular fiesta and an ST (All show no go).
oh, my bad. I didnt realize that it was the Eurospec ST-Line. I quickly read the article this morning. Nonetheless, the USDM FiST will likely be very similar to the Eurospec FiST

·
Registered
506 Posts
oh, my bad. I didnt realize that it was the Eurospec ST-Line. I quickly read the article this morning. Nonetheless, the USDM FiST will likely be very similar to the Eurospec FiST
I'm sure they will be similiar but there is no ST model revealed yet. IMO the older models are sharper, the new Fiesta looks like the old Focus (bubbly).

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
For a 16 year old...get one of these:
View attachment 185890
Hahaha, right. There's absolutely no way that he'll a ST or anything remotely sporty.
Maybe I'll lend him my Rumble Bee although, I want him to drive a manual first. Matter of fact, I'll start teaching him this week-end.

Once he can handle the manual, I'll take him to a track day or two.
Good thing that my Elise isn't back into street legal form yet because he was eyeing it :D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts