Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
$740 for a set of 200TW tires shipped is scary to think.

Then I dig and do some research. Somehow Maxxis has found a way to mix a good weekend warrior track tire with street drivability at an affordable price. I've read reviews on many different platforms, and seen them in use on BIR's Donnybrook Road Course on STI's, Evos, and S2000's driven by CWSCC track marshal's and instructors. Even if they aren't the best, they ARE the best bang for the buck that I can read about.

Anyone currently on them? I have some 8.5" MRR wheels that I'm going to throw some 245/40's on this year and see what they do. I ran NT05's last year and had no complaints on the street or track under optimal conditions. I had a few butt pucker moments in heavy downpours during the summer, but it's what I would expect from a tire that is 90% flat tread.

What's your thoughts, experience and opinions?

·
Registered
483 Posts
I ran them last year on my Mustang. 275/35/17

I have run many different brands of track tires. Maxxis is similar to the Nitto NT01. I used them for about 20 track sessions and they are at the point that they are good for about the first 3 laps. After that they start to get greasy and I am sliding around everywhere. I run faster track times on 245 45 17 Kumho V710s. For the money they are good for HPDE. If you're a racer get another brand

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's mostly what I do is some HPDE and timed hot shot track events, where we make one lap and then stage for another. I run around 15 minutes flat out before I will cool down and then pit, and I think that these will handle that heat cycle.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bamp

·
Registered
613 Posts
Every comparison I've seen shows NT05 as being the worst 200tw tire.... so if you were happy with the performance of them, you should be very happy with the VC-1, especially given the price. I'd run them on my track car if they had the sizes I needed. Currently on Hankook RS3v2. Hoping Maxxis expands their sizes or the RS4 comes in sizes I need/

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Happy with the Nitto? Meh. Satisfied I'd go for. Nothing crazy, had some fun with them. They are just an old tire by today's standards so I wasn't expecting a whole lot. The RE-71r's that I was planning are still a thought, but I can't imagine being upset after saving almost $500 compared to those when I get these Maxxis's.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Any idea how long these will last on a DD? I do a couple autoX's per year and lots of spirited driving. Would I be better off sticking with Michelin pilot SS? My current ones have about 18k miles and maybe another 2k before they die

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got about 20k and 2 years on my NT-O5's with many track days on them, I'm expecting the same or slightly less, depending on track time for me.

Reactions: Baxter

·
Registered
613 Posts
Baxter, I would get PSS/300tw tire for DD duty/casual autocross. You only give up a little ultimate dry traction for a tire thats better in every way.

Back to the topic, you might also check out the Federal 595 RS-RR available in both 235/40 and 245/40. 588-620 shipped/no tax for set of 4 is what I'm seeing for price.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Someone else just brought those up to me as well. Now I can't remember who...

·
Registered
483 Posts
I got about 20k and 2 years on my NT-O5's with many track days on them, I'm expecting the same or slightly less, depending on track time for me.
NT05s are 200 treadwear. Maxxis is 100. The Maxxis also is a full slick with a couple groves running around. Not a good street driving tire unless the car is a strictly nice weather car. If it is your only car forget them.

·
Registered
613 Posts
NT05s are 200 treadwear. Maxxis is 100. The Maxxis also is a full slick with a couple groves running around. Not a good street driving tire unless the car is a strictly nice weather car. If it is your only car forget them.
You're thinking of the RC-1. This thread is about the VR-1. I have heard good things about the RC1 though, that is grips well and wears well- good hpde/not max effort kinda tire.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just like what @aaronc7 said, you're thinking of the wrong Maxxis tire.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts