Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys

Newbie to the FoST world here - Just bought a 2015 ST in Moondust silver.

I recently purchased my first exterior mod for the new car - Maxton front and side splitters. But I have some questions about the install. (I have searched around the forums already and not had much luck).

In the kit it came with nuts, bolts and washers to do the install, and the instructions seemed pretty easy. I got under the car to check it all out and discovered that Its not that easy. If your using nuts and bolts, how to do access the inside of the bumpers to tighten the bolts without taking them off the car? - and in the case of the front bumper, If i wanted to take it off to do the install (or in the future) the splitter then covers the access to the bolts that hold the bumper and bumper guards/under tray on, so I wouldn't be able to put the bumper back on (?) -and that also rules out gluing them on the front as well.

In some research I did before I made the purchase, I watched people using double sided tape and (what looked like) screws putting these on - So I assumed that's how they were fitted. But with nuts and bolts, I'm a bit boggled how you would fit it without compromising future access to the front bumper/intercooler etc.

Anyone have these installed on a 2015-17 and could give me some tips on how you mounted it all. At this stage, I'm considering gluing and screwing the sides, but the front is still an issue.

·
Registered
273 Posts
You seem to be making it a lot worse than it actually is.

For the front it is very easy and all you need is a drill or punch, although a drill makes it a lot easier.

Just remove the undertray and bumper tray, this will give you access to where you need to work and secure the other end of the bolts to the inside of the bumper.

Get some spring clamps from Amazon, Lowes, etc and use those to hold the lip in place where you will need to drill your holes.
Once you are all lined up, drill through the lip and bumper, insert screw and nut on other side and tighten it down.

That's it, reinstall everything and you should be good. You can also notch out the bumper tray or drill that too to make it fit better with the screws being in the way.\, I did not and it fits just fine.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Any pics of yours installed? Thinking of this mod as well.

You seem to be making it a lot worse than it actually is.

For the front it is very easy and all you need is a drill or punch, although a drill makes it a lot easier.

Just remove the undertray and bumper tray, this will give you access to where you need to work and secure the other end of the bolts to the inside of the bumper.

Get some spring clamps from Amazon, Lowes, etc and use those to hold the lip in place where you will need to drill your holes.
Once you are all lined up, drill through the lip and bumper, insert screw and nut on other side and tighten it down.

That's it, reinstall everything and you should be good. You can also notch out the bumper tray or drill that too to make it fit better with the screws being in the way.\, I did not and it fits just fine.

·
Registered
273 Posts
It's actually Triple R, but they look pretty much the same as the Maxton one. I am not a fan of the larger splitter (forgot name) that requires the support rods, those look awful to me.

I picked it up locally at a shop(Garage Line/Turbo XS), it's gloss gel coat.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I installed my Triple R lip kit on my 16 also. The best thing to do is get the clamps or be cheap like me, get another pair of hands, line it up and then use painters tape to hold it up. Then mark your drill points and use a right angle drill(if you dont want to take off the bumper. For the sides I did the same. Make sure you take off the 6 plastic clips on the bottom of the side skirts. The best part is I didnt have to jack the car up or get it on stands(but it would make life a lot easier).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts