Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed this on their facelift ST, and is it easy? I was reading on their website it may take some alterations and cutting, id rather not cut a brand new piece, has anyone installed one and did they have to do any or alot of cutting? Did it fit snugly and look factory? And hows Maxtons carbon effect look, is it decent or am i better off stickin with the black gloss? Any help is greatly appreciated, any pics of owned n installed valances id like to see them. Thanks

·
Registered
194 Posts
I have one with a custom install and others members got one around the same time and have installed them. I have a thread on my install you should find with a Maxton search. Heres a couple pics though. Most all I heard of got the matte black and had them painted. Install a little pain but doable but well worth it in my opinion. I'd do a again

·
Registered
343 Posts
I got mine around the same time Dakman did but it took me a little longer to get it fitted and painted. First thing I did was do a test fit. Yes, you have to trim it to fit properly which isn't ideal but it ensures that it lines up with your car almost perfectly. I wouldn't say it was easy but it also wasn't hard. Mine fits pretty snugly and looks factory in my opinion. I got the black option cause I wanted it paint matched and I thought carbon might look weird. I have seen an ST on here with the carbon diffuser, I'm sure you could find it with a little searching. Personally, I would stick with the black and have it painted to match your car but that's just my opinion. Hope that helps!

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How much of a pain is it to remove the rear bumper and all, cause id almost have to have a body shop do it since i dont have the tools to paint it. It looks like on the website alot of people install it as is, with the matte black, or does it not look nice enuff?

·
Registered
194 Posts
The rear bumper cover is prob easier than the front cover if you've taken that off. One or two bolts in each wheel well. A couple underneath , one on each side of the exhaust tips and either one or two on each side when you open the hatch. Taillights must come out also. There maybe a wire attached to the cover you have to watch for when pulling it off, The valance itself just snaps into the bumper cover so you just pull it apart. The Maxton may need some trimming on the tabs to fit right and will need to be trimmed at the wheel wells to match your car. You could install without painting, if you didn't like you could have painted later.

Maxton installed, you can see how much needs to be trimmed

here you can see I'm taken off about a inch, was a little less on the otherside

·
Registered
544 Posts
Just check out his build thread on it. He did a great job in the write up. Overall, I didn't think it was too complicated. Taking off the bumper is easy. Taking off the valence is a little tough, but WD40 is a great tool. The general idea is take your time, and you can do it yourself well if you are handy. If you're not the hands on type, you may be best off taking it somewhere as it is a body part that you can't really hide

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea ive pulled tbe fromt.cover plenty, only takes me maybe 15 to 20 mins. I just have never been under the back much other then to hang my Thermal Research exhaust. Doesnt sound to bad, i guess my biggest thing is the trimming then, the parts you have to trim i cant see well from the pictures you posted. Are they things you see when done install or they parts that are hidden ya know on the inside or behind the underside of the bumper.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Well you have to dry fit to do the trim. You'll see the wheel arch sections that you most likely need to trim. They're obvious. His template tool trick to mark the line is fantastic. It's just getting the wheel arch line of the valence to match the rest of the bumper. If you check out a youtube video online, you'll see the overhang that they didn't trim

·
Registered
194 Posts
The tabs I mentioned are what snaps into the bumper cover to hold the new valance
in place. They may not line up quite right so you may need to trim the sides of a few to fit into the bumper cover. Nothing a razor knife can't handle. They may be a little wide or just offset one way or the other a little.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts