Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been dealing with a rear clunk ever since i lowered my car...once on BC coilovers and currently on b14s. I have upgraded the rear endlinks to massive (also have steeda but don't like them). I have read that you should install end links under load (on the ground) and bolt it up in it's natural position. However both sets of endlinks seem too long to accomplish this. I have attached a pic of how it sits under load with no lower bolt attached, keep in mind that i still need to fit the bushing and two more nuts. Any help or thoughts on a correct install would be great, thanks! IMG_1263.jpg

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Your car maybe too low for that type link? If you jack up the car and bolt them in, will the swaybar ends be parallel with the ground? If so you're good. If not, you need different links or raise your car

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I mean it just looks pretty parallel as is. and the loud clunk is there at its shortest setting. I've seen people with much more aggressive drops but don't report anything :/ it could be something else I suppose. maybe I'll drive without the rear sway and see if it keeps making the noise.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Clunks can be a number of things. disconnecting the swaybar is a good way to rule that out. But then in order to remove the suspension and make modifications, you'd have had to touch the lower strut bolt, the two upper strut nuts. Then you get into that long horizontal bolt that you remove to access the springs. Any or all of those could be a culprit.

I had to drill/tap/helicoil the long bolt that holds the spring in. My car was built on a Monday I think or a Friday before quit'n time... It was crossthreaded upon removal. I currently have a clunk on the lower strut bolt, as it's not full seated. Also crossthreaded. I couldn't get a drill bit up in there, without removing the entire rear hub IIRC, but it's drive'able for me at the moment.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Clunks can be a number of things. disconnecting the swaybar is a good way to rule that out. But then in order to remove the suspension and make modifications, you'd have had to touch the lower strut bolt, the two upper strut nuts. Then you get into that long horizontal bolt that you remove to access the springs. Any or all of those could be a culprit.

I had to drill/tap/helicoil the long bolt that holds the spring in. My car was built on a Monday I think or a Friday before quit'n time... It was crossthreaded upon removal. I currently have a clunk on the lower strut bolt, as it's not full seated. Also crossthreaded. I couldn't get a drill bit up in there, without removing the entire rear hub IIRC, but it's drive'able for me at the moment.
Install on jackstands, just hand tighten, then torque everything down while under load. @UnfocusedST may be able to help.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all for the suggestions. I was confident it was related to the sway bar until I removed it last night. Still getting the noises but it's from the passenger side. gonna switch my rear shocks from left to right and vice versa to see if I can get the clunking isolated. Is it possible the strut mounts would be making a clunk? I re-used my OEM thinking they wouldn't be an issue for the rears.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Subscribed, as I have this same clunking sound. It is not all the time, but over uneven roads, much like you suggested.

Oh, I am on Cobb springs and sway bars, with Massive end links, front and rear.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Check the bolt at the bottom of the strut. Mine has come loose before. I get creaks etc and I've just learned to deal with it lol

·
Registered
181 Posts
I just had my rear control arms replaced, as the bushings were worn and causing a clinking rattling sound over bumps. I figured it was the endlinks or strut mount, but it ended up being the control arms. Just a thought on something else to check when inspecting the rear suspension and trying to diagnose those rattles.

·
Premium Member
13,880 Posts
I just had my rear control arms replaced, as the bushings were worn and causing a clinking rattling sound over bumps. I figured it was the endlinks or strut mount, but it ended up being the control arms. Just a thought on something else to check when inspecting the rear suspension and trying to diagnose those rattles.
How many miles are on your car? Glad you got the issue fixed.

·
Registered
181 Posts
How many miles are on your car? Glad you got the issue fixed.
41,000 miles on my 2014. I was perplexed until the tech diagnosed it, swapped them out, and then all was silent and well with the world again. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts