Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I have a JBR Rear Sway Bar here waiting to be installed. I decided to buy the Massive End Links which I will install at the same time. Other than these items my 2015 Focus ST suspension is stock. I have never done any suspension work before and can use your advice. What do I need to know about installing the end links and rear sway bar to make my life easier? I want to do it right the first time without any mistakes!

Point me in the right direction....

Thanks,

Brad

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
What you are doing is very simple as far as installs go.

1. Safety first, use jack stands.
2. Remove stock end links. You may want to at least loosen them before the car is in the air as there may be more pressure on the end links. Don't really remember if that's necessary.
3. Unbolt the sway bar mounts from the frame, you will likely need a breaker bar or impact for these, as they are on there good.
4. Adjust your end links to be the same length as stock if the stock suspension geometry is desired (recommended).
5. Grease up your sway bar bushings liberally with white lithium grease.
6. Mount everything back LOOSELY. No particular order here but it's hard to get it all lined up if you tighten something down.
7. Final tightening should be done with car on the ground.

You may want to take before pics so you can compare to after to make sure everything is the same. Also if your RSB is adjustable make sure you read carefully on which adjustment you want and set your end links there.

Also remember if you lower the car in the future, you need to adjust hose end links shorter.

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Lou,

Thanks for the response.

A few questions:

1. I don't own a breaker bar, though I know I should buy one. Any recommendations?
2. You say I should "Adjust my end links to be the same length as stock". Is this simply done by matching them up together off of the vehicle? If not how do I do this?
3. I have white lithium grease around but I also have almost a full tube of Red Line CV-2 synthetic High-Performance Extreme Pressure Grease (with Red Moly). Can I use this since I have it?
4. I have multiple jack stands and jacks, but no ramps. Any recommendations for doing suspension work (loading the suspension)?

Thanks my friend and Happy Holidays!

Brad

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Hi Lou,

Thanks for the response.

A few questions:

1. I don't own a breaker bar, though I know I should buy one. Any recommendations?
2. You say I should "Adjust my end links to be the same length as stock". Is this simply done by matching them up together off of the vehicle? If not how do I do this?
3. I have white lithium grease around but I also have almost a full tube of Red Line CV-2 synthetic High-Performance Extreme Pressure Grease (with Red Moly). Can I use this since I have it?
4. I have multiple jack stands and jacks, but no ramps. Any recommendations for doing suspension work (loading the suspension)?

Thanks my friend and Happy Holidays!

Brad
1. Do you have a harbor freight near you? I have been using their 1/2", 18" bar forever and no complaints. If it cant get the job done, i just use a piece of pipe to extend. Breaker bars need not be fancy/brand name, most are just solid metal, not going to break easily.
2. Yes, just take the old links off and adjust the Massive ones so they are the same length. Not sure if Massive recommends thread lock but I use some on my adjustable camber/toe arms.
3. not sure
4. Feeling crafty? I've always wanted to build a set of these

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Okay quick update.

The massive rear end links arrived today and I've been playing around with them to get a good feel how all of the adjustments work. There seems to be a number of adjustment points on these.

I also picked up a 24" x 1/2" breaker bar and a set of the two piece race ramps and chocks. I think I should now have pretty much everything I need to tackle the install.

After doing more research I'm fairly certain the red line hi temp full synthetic grease that I bought for my short shifter install will work great for this application. With that said, where do I grease these up? On the two lower bushings? On the top elbow bushing? Somewhere else? Also, is it recommended to grease up after final tightening or prior to install?

Also I read that using a strap wrench might help with tightening these up since the rod doesn't have wrench flats. I ordered a set of these too just in case.

Thanks,

Brad

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Installed my JBR rear sway bar today. Had a helluva time trying to install the Massive Endlinks. Ended up getting so frustrated I re-installed the stockers. Spent the evening reading more about the massive end links. Maybe a good night sleep and a little bit more knowledge can help me in the morning. So many adjustments on those massive end links.

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I got back out there this morning and installed the Massive End Links. Not so bad actually after a good night's sleep. I did the final tightening of the end links on my ramps and bolted down the Sway Bar to 41 lbs / ft per JBR instructions as the very last thing. How does this install look?

IMG_20180128_120112960.jpg

IMG_20180128_120120338.jpg

IMG_20180128_120130073.jpg

IMG_20180128_120134630.jpg

IMG_20180128_120201453_HDR.jpg

Reactions: FoRS214 and CDB
1 - 8 of 8 Posts