Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I decided to sacrifice a little bit of comfort to relieve some stress off of the shaft be taking the huge hunk of this balance shaft out. Install was not too bad at all, I did this by myself but an extra set of hands is never a bad thing. This piece weighed at an exact weight of 18lbs

Overall I have noticed a very smooth acceleration gain and revs a bit faster especially 2nd and 3rd gear overall. Nvh did increase a bit but nothing major and I am running the jbr solid mount as well.

Doing this delete does require more oil. I was good at about 6-7 quarts do to an addle baffle in the pan.

Only struggle I really had was getting my cpe charge pipe on next to the ac compressor and the coupling into the tb but other than that just make sure you bring tons and tons of blue rags or the oil. Great piece by massive and love the bright purple sleek color as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
So I decided to sacrifice a little bit of comfort to relieve some stress off of the shaft be taking the huge hunk of this balance shaft out. Install was not too bad at all, I did this by myself but an extra set of hands is never a bad thing. This piece weighed at an exact weight of 18lbs

Overall I have noticed a very smooth acceleration gain and revs a bit faster especially 2nd and 3rd gear overall. Nvh did increase a bit but nothing major and I am running the jbr solid mount as well.

Doing this delete does require more oil. I was good at about 6-7 quarts do to an addle baffle in the pan.

Only struggle I really had was getting my cpe charge pipe on next to the ac compressor and the coupling into the tb but other than that just make sure you bring tons and tons of blue rags or the oil. Great piece by massive and love the bright purple sleek color as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nice piece. I did my BSD a couple years ago. No additional NVH. It's likely from the solid mount.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
you shouldn't do bsd unless you pull out the crank and have it balanced to zero. There is a reason they put it in.

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
you shouldn't do bsd unless you pull out the crank and have it balanced to zero. There is a reason they put it in.
That's not the reason.

Reactions: rspecturbo

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
oh enlighten me please
The assembly is already balanced, this balance shaft just helps with NVH inherent with inline 4 cylinder engines at lower rpm's under light load but not due to the crank itself being out of balance. This NVH is less of an issue with the 2.0. Would potential be more NVH with the 2.3 or 2.5 though I haven't done the BSD on those, just what I've been informed by professionals who know more than me during our debates over the years.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
The assembly is already balanced, this balance shaft just helps with NVH inherent with inline 4 cylinder engines at lower rpm's under light load but not due to the crank itself being out of balance. This NVH is less of an issue with the 2.0. Would potential be more NVH with the 2.3 or 2.5 though I haven't done the BSD on those, just what I've been informed by professionals who know more than me during our debates over the years.

agree except for that fact the mass produced crankshafts are very out of balance. some better than others. getting rid of the balance shaft creates more crank harmonics in the unbalanced shafts. balancing the crank to zero wont eliminate the problems created by BSD but it will help significantly. People don't realize the cons of the pros for this mod. This is somthing the should be done only with a full rebuild of your motor. Just my 2 cents.

https://www.jackstransmissions.com/pages/keep-your-balance-shafts

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
agree except for that fact the mass produced crankshafts are very out of balance. some better than others. getting rid of the balance shaft creates more crank harmonics in the unbalanced shafts. balancing the crank to zero wont eliminate the problems created by BSD but it will help significantly. People don't realize the cons of the pros for this mod. This is somthing the should be done only with a full rebuild of your motor. Just my 2 cents.

https://www.jackstransmissions.com/pages/keep-your-balance-shafts
I've read that guys page many times but with a bit more research I was able to make the decision to remove the Balance Shaft. The problems he's talking about have not been proven to be an issue for the ST or MS3. He's talking about Mitsubishi motors.

Reactions: Stealth

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I've read that guys page many times but with a bit more research I was able to make the decision to remove the Balance Shaft. The problems he's talking about have not been proven to be an issue for the ST or MS3. He's talking about Mitsubishi motors.

At least you did your research and came to your own conclusion if this mod was for you. Which is what the article kind of suggests. I did it, but only when i rebuilt my motor. I Also think this mod is a bad decision if you don't have an upgraded turbo.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Here's a silly NOOB to mods question. What is the benefit of doing the BSD?
It gets rid of a lot of weight ( thing weighs like 30 lbs). And it speeds up rotating mass, meaning you rev up quicker. I don't think you need this on a car that stock turbo already spools extremely fast.

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
At least you did your research and came to your own conclusion if this mod was for you. Which is what the article kind of suggests. I did it, but only when i rebuilt my motor. I Also think this mod is a bad decision if you don't have an upgraded turbo.
Agreed, I did it soon after the big turbo. I took the position that I'd likely be rebuilding the motor before 100k and having everything blueprinted balanced and forged.

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
Loooooooots of Loctite.

And even then something may still come loose.

How bad are the vibs on the 2.0? Can anybody give any relevancy to how bad the bsd gives?
On stock motor mounts I have less vibration than my buddy with aftermarket RMM. I didn't notice any additional vibrations at all. Some other people may have different experience if they've gone with aftermarket motor mounts which is most people who would do the BSD.

·
Registered
9,129 Posts
All three of my OEM mounts were replaced. Not much vibes in the cabin due to the mounts being broken in awhile ago. When the car is on, while Ive been under it; while seems the tranny housing vibrates a bit for sure, I can't really give you a measurement, thou lock tight needs to be added...alot added.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 56 Posts