Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking at a few different options for downpipes for my 2016 but I'm concerned when it comes time for emissions inspection i won't pass with a catless downpipe, does Anybody know if you can pass with a catless?

·
Registered
421 Posts
Depends on if they use mirrors or not. Think there are ways around the sniffer. Or move to St. Marys county, we have no emissions :)

·
Registered
825 Posts
Also depends on the penalty for deliberately bypassing emission requirements?
For any company to do it is big money.
Also is the emissions check done by a state run, or privately run place?
I do not know what the private person penalty is there.
Here, any provider of services for emission testing would be destroyed if it was discovered they illegally passed a modified car.
The penalty is in the tens of thousands for one illegal pass.
So IMO that means no one is going to 'look the other way', since it could cost them their job,
And most of them have seen plenty of folks trying to do sneaky ****. So IMO a catless pipe is not gonna fly, period.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I got away with it on my Saabaru for 3 years, had zero out of 3 cats that come stock. Every time they "used" the mirror but never actually looked under the car, just walked around with it. Your results may vary, so you may not be so lucky.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interesting, so you think I may have a chance as long as it doesn't have any codes at the time of inspection?

·
Registered
94 Posts
I had an accessport so it never showed any of the codes it would have shown without it. Nothing ever came up on their OBD2 scan and they never looked hard under the car. Maryland inspection is a different story however.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Maryland inspection is a different story however.
Every state is different. Even city vs rural..
Some states have special government inspection stations.
Some have independent, but still stand alone inspections places. And others have inspections done by local businesses,
like car dealers.
Then the actual person may, or may not give a damn.
As I mentioned though, the folks doing the inspection can be, and have been fined BIG money
for failure to do a proper inspection/deliberate pass failing cars.
Ditto to business it was done at.
So you may find some person who does not care, or the guy who writes you up.
and you have to go to a dealer, get turned back to stock, and PROVE IT with the bill for the work, in hand, before passing.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Maryland inspection is way different than emissions. A solid argument for th mirror is that the cat is tucked up by the firewall and hard to see!

·
Registered
4 Posts
In Maryland we have self service emissions stations, so as long as you dont have any active codes and all of your sensors are marked "Ready" you will have no issues passing with a catless downpipe from what i understand.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Not that I advocate bypassing the emissions, but in Anne Arundel County the self-service option is available for $10 and all you do is plug their computer into your OBD port. As for the in person inspection, I don't recall them even looking at the vehicle other than to plug in the computer.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Not that I advocate bypassing the emissions, but in Anne Arundel County the self-service option is available for $10 and all you do is plug their computer into your OBD port. As for the in person inspection, I don't recall them even looking at the vehicle other than to plug in the computer.
Is that county to county? I live in Baltimore County, can I use that self service station?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts