Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know everyone will say just get a RS, but i'm not planning on even doing this. I was wondering if it would even be possible to take the RS transmission along with diff and transfer case and mate them to the focus st engine. I understand its not as simple as bolting them together, there are different modules that control different things. If it is way to far fetched don't be afraid to to let me know.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
too far fetched.

Reactions: brian60

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You can't even mount a 4 wheel drive system without major mods to this chassis, much less get it all to work together.
I understand that, I'm just talking about the ST engine and not the focus chassis. I am thinking only about the engine and if conveting it to AWD would even be possible.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Well the Fusion and the Escape both have the 2.0T and AWD in some cases. So if you aren't concerned with the Focus chassis, you could start with those platforms and look at converting those to a manual transmission.

Reactions: chronos

·
Registered
381 Posts
The 2.0 block will mount up to the RS transmission/PTU. It's a popular building block for those who want a closed deck 2.3 in the RS.

It still will not work in a ST though.

·
Registered
225 Posts
My feeling is that you will spend more money making an AWD ST than it would take to just buy an RS (I'm seeing em used for under 40k).

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just thought of a situation where this could be usefull. Lets say you buy a crashed Focus RS with engine damage. Replacing the engine with an RS engine would cost quite a bit, but replacing it with a ST engine would cost less (at the cost of less power unless engine is upgraded). In this case using the ST engine in an AWD situation could be benificial.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Just thought of a situation where this could be usefull. Lets say you buy a crashed Focus RS with engine damage. Replacing the engine with an RS engine would cost quite a bit, but replacing it with a ST engine would cost less (at the cost of less power unless engine is upgraded). In this case using the ST engine in an AWD situation could be benificial.
There would be little to no cost savings considering the custom work needed to fit all the rest of the 2.0 bits into a RS chassis.

The RS only can use a 2.0 short block with the 2.3 head. Fitting a complete 2.0 will not work. For starters, the turbos and downpipes are completely different. Charge pipes as well. And then there is getting the RS ecu to play nicely with a 2.0. $$$

·
Registered
554 Posts
what about a Mustang 2.3? those things seem much better than the 2.3 in the RS ... I thought the RS engine would be a holy grail, built strong to last long under hard driving, tuned by Cosworth etc. guess not. Ecoboo'stangs be making near Coyote levels of power as well as 500wtq with a tune and breather bolt on mods.

Heck...just put a Coyote in the RS. They put one in a Toyota YaR-S:

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
Yeah, what is the difference between an RS and a Mustang 2.3? Other than the obvious fact that one is mounted sideways and one is not

·
Registered
15 Posts
There would be little to no cost savings considering the custom work needed to fit all the rest of the 2.0 bits into a RS chassis.

The RS only can use a 2.0 short block with the 2.3 head. Fitting a complete 2.0 will not work. For starters, the turbos and downpipes are completely different. Charge pipes as well. And then there is getting the RS ecu to play nicely with a 2.0. $$$
At that point might as well get a Halltech ecu, but as you said not much point as it will end up costing so much.

2015 Tangerine Scream ST3

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Really? The dealers around here are selling em for like 42+!!
Use AutoTrader. If you get a bit outside of Houston, you can see them for just over $35K, in Houston, I see them at about $38K. there are plenty still at $42K but they are hoping to get people who don't shop around.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts