Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a couple days ago I noticed my car making a whining noise when I accelerate followed by a smell after driving 20 minutes. I decided not to drive it until I had a chance to look at it today. And when I removed the lower engine cover I saw most of the subframe and rmm covered in oil. Engine oil was full so it must be tranny fluid. I removed the drain plug and it was empty so I went to the store to buy some more. When I filled it I all leaked out near the rmm but I wasn't able to find a hole or anything. It was dark also so didn't snap photos. Will inspect again tomorrow. Dealer is booked until February.

Any ideas? 16 ST1 with 114k miles

·
Registered
2016 ST2, Absolute Black, Turbosmart BPV, Dual OCCs, Innovative RMM, JBR Intake & SS Arm, 245/40R18
345 Posts
If you fill it slow with a helper, should be able to see where leaking from.

Haven't had mine that long or has the trans out.

Generally, maybe input shaft seal if you can't see anything obvious and are sure it's trans fluid.

·
Premium Member
1,916 Posts
So a couple days ago I noticed my car making a whining noise when I accelerate followed by a smell after driving 20 minutes. I decided not to drive it until I had a chance to look at it today. And when I removed the lower engine cover I saw most of the subframe and rmm covered in oil. Engine oil was full so it must be tranny fluid. I removed the drain plug and it was empty so I went to the store to buy some more. When I filled it I all leaked out near the rmm but I wasn't able to find a hole or anything. It was dark also so didn't snap photos. Will inspect again tomorrow. Dealer is booked until February.

Any ideas? 16 ST1 with 114k miles
Did you buy the car new or used? Mods? How do you drive it?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's definitely transmission fluid.

I bought the car used with 6k miles. I had an AP for a few months along with a green filter and MBRP catback, Cobb rmm. I sold the AP after a few months and everything else is still installed. I drive pretty fast but I always wait until my oil is up to temperature and never floor it on 5/6th gear.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I removed the air box to get a closer look.
Shift tower area caked with fluid/oil.

Within seconds of adding fluid through top fill hole it starts dripping fast from right above the rmm.

Not coming from the seals.

From all the fluid caked around the shift tower I'm assuming it ran on low fluid for a while and blew a hole in the tranny because I dont know how else it can leak so quickly. But the car still shifts fine other than the whine in 2nd-4th.

·
Administrator
10,360 Posts

Within seconds of adding fluid through top fill hole it starts dripping fast from right above the rmm.

From all the fluid caked around the shift tower I'm assuming it ran on low fluid for a while and blew a hole in the tranny because I dont know how else it can leak so quickly. But the car still shifts fine other than the whine in 2nd-4th.

Was the car ever in an accident?

With collisions the rmm motor mount puts a lot of strain on the trans where it attaches. I actually have a spare trans that cracked at the RMM from an accident.

Reactions: Caleb ST1

·
Administrator
10,360 Posts
@isohi you are going to want to thoroughly clean all those areas. Get them spotless, and then get her all set up for you to view, then fill the trans and find that leak.

Cracked case
Stripped or missing bolt
Bad seal from the factory on the case halves
Shift tower leak

Who installed the RMM?

·
Super Moderator
8,263 Posts

Hopefully you removed the nuts from all of those fasteners?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes I removed the nuts. I was in the process of removing that bracket to get the area cleaned up and get a better look.
I installed the rmm about 100k miles ago and haven't had issues. I haven't had any collisions either or dont remembering running anything over. The dealer by is booked out for a month.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok so I cleaned it up and had my wife add some fluid. There's a crack in there for sure. Do you guys think some kind of adhesive would hold it? The transmission was still shifting well aside from a feint whine in gears 2-4. The fluid does seem to have metal shavings tho. What do you guys think?

Leak Video

·
2,069 Posts
It looks to me like something in the ring gear area failed and machined the case from the inside out. Do you see that line in between the webbing? I don't remember seeing that on mine.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes I think you're right. I just searched a bunch of photos on eBay and none had it. Would you consider it toast at this point?

·
2,069 Posts
Well, i suppose it could be repaired, but how much will that cost versus just buying another trans? (Depends on the source of failure, honestly).
The case can be welded from the inside and fixed that way.

Reactions: Duece McCracken

·
Administrator
10,360 Posts
Yeah man, I'd be saving for a replacement.

·
Premium Member
2,160 Posts

·
Registered
2016 ST2, Absolute Black, Turbosmart BPV, Dual OCCs, Innovative RMM, JBR Intake & SS Arm, 245/40R18
345 Posts
I would expect some noticeable bearing and gear noises before a gear machined the case from the inside out, that sounds crazy! o_O
Sure it's not due to some kind of impact?

That reminds me...
22R toy motors' timing chains sometimes ate the timing cover from the inside out if a tensioner or timing chain guide problem. Good to catch it before it ate into the coolant passage :oops:

·
2,069 Posts
@Blackula, they probably won't Honor the core unless he could find a case half.

Reactions: Duece McCracken

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm just going to upgrade to a LSD with a new transmission/clutch assembly. Oh well.
But for ****s I think I'm going to try and JB weld it and see if it holds while the new parts get here.

·
2,069 Posts
I'm just going to upgrade to a LSD with a new transmission/clutch assembly. Oh well.
But for ****s I think I'm going to try and JB weld it and see if it holds while the new parts get here.
Be careful. If a side bearing on the diff has failed, you could be dealing with a tire lock-up situation when it fully implodes.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts