Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-9Hpz_kR2mrbWdIWk1Sc3hUWlk/view?usp=sharing

Normal? This is after about 2500 miles of daily and track use with Mobile1.
Looks fine in principle; the only thing that gives me pause is that there seem to be three quite tiny "balls" in your palm. The powdery stuff is totally normal.

Were those balls gritty at all?

Sometimes there can be a little manufacturing flash in a new oil filter (I tap new oil filters on a workbench a few times to try to shake out any particulates that may have fallen in).

Sometimes some loose filter element particulate grabs some bearing powder and gets attracted to the magnetic drain plug.

You've nothing to lose by continuing to run the car, but you could always send out a sample to Blackstone Labs and let them tell you what they think.

Hope that helps,
Mark

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks fine in principle; the only thing that gives me pause is that there seem to be three quite tiny "balls" in your palm. The powdery stuff is totally normal.

Were those balls gritty at all?

Sometimes there can be a little manufacturing flash in a new oil filter (I tap new oil filters on a workbench a few times to try to shake out any particulates that may have fallen in).

Sometimes some loose filter element particulate grabs some bearing powder and gets attracted to the magnetic drain plug.

You've nothing to lose by continuing to run the car, but you could always send out a sample to Blackstone Labs and let them tell you what they think.

Hope that helps,
Mark
This is the answer I was hoping for. In addition to the filter, this was my first change after installing the JBR oil cooler kit, pan baffle and BSD. I'm sure there may have been some manufacturing particles left behind from that as well.

The grit is dirt. I had just got up off the floor. Lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Reactions: LMStone510
1 - 4 of 4 Posts