Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have issues with the stock chrome finish lugs? The last two weekends two have rounded off. One was by with hand tools the other was with an impact gun. Gorillas showing up tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
54 Posts
Same thing happened to me. Bought the black gorillas to for my stock wheels

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Same thing happened to me. Bought the black gorillas to for my stock wheels
Any issues with those yet? The price is concerning, considering I want these to last till I get my rota grids(could be a few months)

·
Registered
153 Posts
It's totally common across the board with Ford. I destroyed a few of the factory one's within a couple of months since I'm always taking my wheels on/off for autocross. I replaced them with the 6 spline gorilla one's, I needed something skinnier to it my autox wheels better, and have taken them on/off probably 50 in the last year and haven't had a single issue.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's totally common across the board with Ford. I destroyed a few of the factory one's within a couple of months since I'm always taking my wheels on/off for autocross. I replaced them with the 6 spline gorilla one's, I needed something skinnier to it my autox wheels better, and have taken them on/off probably 50 in the last year and haven't had a single issue.
Awesome! What wheels do you use for autocross?

·
Super Moderator
6,551 Posts
Anyone have issues with the stock chrome finish lugs? The last two weekends two have rounded off. One was by with hand tools the other was with an impact gun. Gorillas showing up tomorrow.

The factory lug nuts are two piece consisting of a regular steel lug nut with a chrome cover made of thin stamped sheet metal. If not extremely careful seating your socket they will distort.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Any issues with those yet? The price is concerning, considering I want these to last till I get my rota grids(could be a few months)

No Issues so far. They were on my winter wheels and now my stock snowflakes. I should also mention I dont use an impact to break them loose, just to unthread them the last bit.

·
Super Moderator
8,073 Posts
No Issues so far. They were on my winter wheels and now my stock snowflakes. I should also mention I dont use an impact to break them loose, just to unthread them the last bit.
Just always make sure you're seated the whole way on them and that you don't slip off slightly as you tighten/loosen...oh and don't overtighten. They will absolutely get mangled and you'll be cutting them off saying some bad words

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just always make sure you're seated the whole way on them and that you don't slip off slightly as you tighten/loosen...oh and don't overtighten. They will absolutely get mangled and you'll be cutting them off saying some bad words
Noted. This weekend I had to sacrifice a 19mm socket to get one lug nut off because i didnt get it fully torqued.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Noted. This weekend I had to sacrifice a 19mm socket to get one lug nut off because i didnt get it fully torqued.

Couple of weeks ago when I changed my lug nuts. I had to beat on a 18 mm socket. It pretty much sheered the whole chrome cap right off.

·
Premium Member
925 Posts
Just make sure that when you switch to aftermarket lug nuts, you save the five "best" OE lug nuts and leave in foam in the spare tire well--they're the only ones that will work with your steelie spare tire.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Just make sure that when you switch to aftermarket lug nuts, you save the five "best" OE lug nuts and leave in foam in the spare tire well--they're the only ones that will work with your steelie spare tire.

Oops mine are gone 😞

·
Super Moderator
8,073 Posts

Couple of weeks ago when I changed my lug nuts. I had to beat on a 18 mm socket. It pretty much sheered the whole chrome cap right off.
We've all been there...I sacrificed my friend's socket when it happened on mine...never did pay him back...but he got overly friendly with my now ex-girlfriend so I guess that's just how the cookie was meant to crumble bahaha

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We've all been there...I sacrificed my friend's socket when it happened on mine...never did pay him back...but he got overly friendly with my now ex-girlfriend so I guess that's just how the cookie was meant to crumble bahaha
That's a bummer. I got new lugs in yesterday. However I went to go do a 1 for 1 swap on em, but my flex head 12" ratchet isn't providing enough leverage, may have to go to a buddy's place this weekend.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
That's a bummer. I got new lugs in yesterday. However I went to go do a 1 for 1 swap on em, but my flex head 12" ratchet isn't providing enough leverage, may have to go to a buddy's place this weekend.

dont bring your girlfriend!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
dont bring your girlfriend!
Lol, Shes out of town this weekend. I did swapped 18 of the nuts out yesterday, as well as installed a tb performance mid chassis brace. Had to get a bolt removal socket the get the last 2 off today in the autozone parking lot.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Definitely not true. I put my spare on with my Gorilla 6 spline lug nuts when this happened.
4oz6nhveiel21.jpg

1 - 20 of 25 Posts