Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well a while back I traded in my 2014 ST due to all the issues it had. A few cars later I have come back under the fold with a 2017 ST I got last month from a Kia Dealership. They got the car from Ford supposedly across the street as they knew the dealer (Ford had ZERO STs on the lot as I went there first). The car had 2500 on the clock so thinking well that's cool I am getting practically a new car with low miles. The story was a dad bought it for his kid and then found out the car was too fast for him to have.....mmmkay. It had a little smell to it on the inside but it wasn't major. Well I finally figured out what the smell was after having to run defrost as it gets colder out. Exhaust was getting into the vents when it was circulating air. I figured this all out when testing the different HVAC settings and of course was worse on cold start up. Therefore I knew I had an exhaust leak. Take it down to my local Ford dealer to have them look at it, because the place I got the car from was over 1.5 hours away and why wouldn't someone just take it to Ford that's 4 miles away for assumed warranty work? Anyways, I told them what it was.....4 hours of looking into it they say they found the issue. "Someone put on an aftermarket exhaust previously and didn't put the stock parts back on correctly.....also your O2 sensor threads are bad cause they tried to put it back on and messed up the threads. Our guy is going to try and fix the threads and put it back in. That's going to be about $230.". So I get a call about 45 minutes later, "Yeah, the threads are messed up and you will need a new O2 (which of course they do not have and will get one tomorrow). Your total bill is going to run you about $450.". So $450 for something I had no clue that was done to the car and haven't even made my first payment...let alone the Carbon Monoxide I was enjoying for the entire month (explains the headaches). Called the dealer I bought it from and they are "researching" the issue from the previous owner to see what they can do (Uh the dealer can pay the dang bill I am about to get). This all does not add up though. Is Ford being honest by saying someone did in fact mess with the exhaust and put a different DP/exhaust on it with under 2500 miles? Or was it a manufacturing flaw due to the amount of factory cross-threaded O2 sensors out there? Ugh this is not cool. I would have just fixed it myself, but now Ford has the car and of course wont release it since the O2 no longer fits.

·
Administrator
11,913 Posts
Well a while back I traded in my 2014 ST due to all the issues it had. A few cars later I have come back under the fold with a 2017 ST I got last month from a Kia Dealership. They got the car from Ford supposedly across the street as they knew the dealer (Ford had ZERO STs on the lot as I went there first). The car had 2500 on the clock so thinking well that's cool I am getting practically a new car with low miles. The story was a dad bought it for his kid and then found out the car was too fast for him to have.....mmmkay. It had a little smell to it on the inside but it wasn't major. Well I finally figured out what the smell was after having to run defrost as it gets colder out. Exhaust was getting into the vents when it was circulating air. I figured this all out when testing the different HVAC settings and of course was worse on cold start up. Therefore I knew I had an exhaust leak. Take it down to my local Ford dealer to have them look at it, because the place I got the car from was over 1.5 hours away and why wouldn't someone just take it to Ford that's 4 miles away for assumed warranty work? Anyways, I told them what it was.....4 hours of looking into it they say they found the issue. "Someone put on an aftermarket exhaust previously and didn't put the stock parts back on correctly.....also your O2 sensor threads are bad cause they tried to put it back on and messed up the threads. Our guy is going to try and fix the threads and put it back in. That's going to be about $230.". So I get a call about 45 minutes later, "Yeah, the threads are messed up and you will need a new O2 (which of course they do not have and will get one tomorrow). Your total bill is going to run you about $450.". So $450 for something I had no clue that was done to the car and haven't even made my first payment...let alone the Carbon Monoxide I was enjoying for the entire month (explains the headaches). Called the dealer I bought it from and they are "researching" the issue from the previous owner to see what they can do (Uh the dealer can pay the dang bill I am about to get). This all does not add up though. Is Ford being honest by saying someone did in fact mess with the exhaust and put a different DP/exhaust on it with under 2500 miles? Or was it a manufacturing flaw due to the amount of factory cross-threaded O2 sensors out there? Ugh this is not cool. I would have just fixed it myself, but now Ford has the car and of course wont release it since the O2 no longer fits.
Hmmm, well it could go either way. I personally would have looked at it myself. I never heard of anyone crossthreading a front O2 on our cars yet. They can be a total PITA to remove, which normally wrecks them. Thats natural though.

Personally I dont deal with dealerships or any outside mechanics. So Im not much help with them. I'm my mechanic. So I'm a whole lot of help with the actual parts and processes, lol.

Sucks to hear though, but used cars can be a gamble.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Deuce. Yeah same here as I usually do most work on my own cars. Problem is the lack of a lift and time. Ironically the dealership said they got to it from under the battery tray. $470 later it is fixed BUT now I am getting a loud exhaust thumping sound inside. It kind of matches with the DI sewing machine sound, but it's much louder than when I dropped it off. Wonder if maybe they didn't put the sound symposer back on correctly? The dealership said someone had been in there before doing work, but how do I know it wasn't another Ford dealer? Could have gotten a lemon for all I know at this point and that's why it was back at the dealer. Hoping a Ford rep can run my VIN to verify.

·
Registered
109 Posts
$450 for a bill, I would take that. I purchased a 34,000 mile 13 ST and not a week later the clutch was gone. Was at the dealer for 2 weeks due to not having the equipment to do it and 1800.00 dollars later here I go. Where I got it gave me the finger and said it wasn't like that when we had it. Of course not. I feel your pain.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
825 Posts
Hey I got a deal on a used car..
but it had problems and I trusted the seller before I bought it, instead of having it checked over myself.
Now I want to complain it is costing me money.
A Ford dealer is fixing it, but why would I ever trust them?
SO please commiserate with my on the hole in my wallet.
But don't blame me. I am an innocent victim here.

Sounds about right.

·
Registered
651 Posts
but it had problems and I trusted the seller before I bought it, instead of having it checked over myself.

Sounds about right.
A little extreme in my opinion. I think he's just looking for suggestions. If you don't trust the dealer, just don't take it to the dealer.

I work on 99% of the parts on my vehicles but I do have a trusty mechanic in case I need something. I've tried dealers, will never, ever, ever drop my car off at a dealer again unless it's going to save me north of $1,000. Even then, i'm forced to weigh the pro's and cons.

Reactions: focusfast

·
Administrator
11,913 Posts

Sounds about right.
Well an exhaust leak can be tricky to notice at first, especially if you are new to the direct injection smells.

There may have been no real signs pointing to it. Finding it can be odd as well, could be bad gaskets, damaged flex sections, etc.

I can't really fault him for not finding it before he bought it.

The OP seemed to be more looking to find out if we have a history of factory installed O2 sensors that are cross threaded. Which it could have been fine, may not be the leak, got wrecked on removal, now the OP is eating it.

Many variables here.

I got my ST brand new for a reason, lol.

Personally I have a problem with a lot of the threads people make, and the BS people post. This one not so much, hence me responding.

·
Administrator
11,913 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah I bought my 2014 new and I have a list of issues that one had. It had the clutch replace due to it not releasing all the way and the dreaded stalling when coming to a stop (wiring TSB). This is not my first rodeo with dealers. Sorry to hear about getting hit with that $1800 bill on the clutch. Ford thankfully covered it when they found out it was a faulty TOB. I should have gone New for sure though after this experience. Dealerships pointing fingers and caught in the middle. The big issue here is something like this could have killed someone if they didn't know something was up. I usually go windows down so it took a while to find out what was going on with the smell. It smelled like someone smoked a cigar in the past that would come and go.

·
Administrator
11,913 Posts
I will get a video in a few Deuce with the hood up and below. I may be taking it back to Ford again. :(
I need a a pic of your tips, and few general shots under hood, and anything you can get from under the car, specifically the resonators and the area near the downpipe rear mount.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am missing a lot of bolts from my car and it's only 27 miles. I feel like a lot of the panels are looser than they should be, but it's not bad. No body is perfect and not all cars are. I think the ST is a huge bank for the buck so I expect some short comings and things I will have to fix out of my own pocket. Warranties where over 1,800 so as long as I spend less than that over the next 3 years I feel like I have made out.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I agree Scaz. They are a great bang for the buck, but just be careful if you have a used bang. You can't assume it's a warranty repair item like I did since thinking the car was so new that no one touched it. Though with the exhaust looking stock, I am starting to doubt what Ford said about it being tampered with. That is what concerns me most. They could just pan it off as well it's a "tuner" car so it's your problem. Meaning the warranty is rather useless. I know it depends on the dealer as well.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It may be quieting down a little. Could it be the battery being reset and it is trying to find its trims again? I may drive it for a day and see what's up. But I swear it was much quieter before they touched the O2 sensor. I did confirm again the leak is no more thankfully. I know it's not the ignition though as it's an exhaust sound. You can tell how it slows down when you shut it off.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts