Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after debating with myself for a while I'm gonna get all of you guys' opinions on this. If you shift at the shift lights regularly when you drive..which is roughly 2100rpm is that risking LSPI? Also when I'm going 40-45 and the light comes on to go to 6th..sometimes I just automatically do it..and it stays above 1500 rpms..and as soon as I have heard it go below 1500 is when it starts audibly trying to lug. Any brisk acceleration I've always went to 5th or 4th, and even for situations where I apply enough gas to hit -1 to 0 boost I usually downshift.

Are my occasional driving habits towards the 1500rpm mindset and the shift lights possibly putting it at risk?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Driving at low engine speeds is fine. What isn't fine is greatly increasing the load very rapidly at a low engine speed. Regardless, LSPI events are very rare. Ford wouldn't be putting turbos in everything if this was a considerable issue. Just don't go WOT in 6th gear at 2k RPM and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
a couple issues. the only reason to shift that early is for gas mileage. IMO its worth taking a hit in gas mileage to avoid LSPI but even more importantly.. it's safe to shift a bit later. having the ability to accelerate and avoid a collision is more important than gas mileage to me.

·
Super Moderator
8,603 Posts
I giggle a bit and keep accelerating in the gear of my choosing when that silly light comes on; just don't heavily load the engine at low rpm in high gears and you will be fine.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
A lot of people overthink the LSPI issue. Don't take it lightly, but normal driving with light throttle shouldn't cause any problems at low rpm. Just don't floor it or build up lots of boost at that 2k rpm range, especially in 5th-6th gears. When I'm just cruising like on my drive to work I pretty much instinctively shift between 2-2500 rpm after it's warmed up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts