Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been around here for about a year and a half. I’ve read some about LSPI but am not 100% sure regarding what to do/what not to do. Mostly looking for things explained in layman’s terms, as many of the articles seem to get fairly technical. Beyond not lugging the engine, and not going WOT in 6th, what else is there to be mindful of? My apologies in advance if there is a thread that I missed.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Cheaper gas makes it more prone to it. Don't stay at a high gear and low rpms. And l someone else can chime in with more.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
407 Posts
From what I've read, using low quality and high volatility oils can be a big contributor. Generally synthetic oil had lower volatility than conventional.

·
Registered
236 Posts
From what I've read, using low quality and high volatility oils can be a big contributor. Generally synthetic oil had lower volatility than conventional.
Use an oil that is Dexos 1: 2015 or ILSAC GF-6 and use quality top tier fuel with 91 or higher Octane (91,93). Do not rapidly accelerate from a low RPM, typically cruising speed in high gear on highway and you need to pass a car. In this case, downshift to lower gear(s) to pass, then resume.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
A year and a half, and you havnt seen any one, of the 1200 laymans terms explinations of what not to do? Your search engine skills needs upping :p

1. Cheap gas can increase your chances
2. Be aware that Ford uses a heavy algorithm for cruise control so I advice to watch out in 6th on any hills if your cruising low rpms
3. 5th and 6th gear are dangerous if your lugging around below 3K rpms and you get on it heavily
4. Get your valves cleaned every now and then for the deposits MAY be an issue for LSPI under higher boost.

I’ve been around here for about a year and a half. I’ve read some about LSPI but am not 100% sure regarding what to do/what not to do. Mostly looking for things explained in layman’s terms, as many of the articles seem to get fairly technical. Beyond not lugging the engine, and not going WOT in 6th, what else is there to be mindful of? My apologies in advance if there is a thread that I missed.

Reactions: WithTheSharks

·
Registered
613 Posts
Use an oil that is Dexos 1: 2015 or ILSAC GF-6 and use quality top tier fuel with 91 or higher Octane (91,93). Do not rapidly accelerate from a low RPM, typically cruising speed in high gear on highway and you need to pass a car. In this case, downshift to lower gear(s) to pass, then resume.
Just for everyone else and some clarification, I don't think we have any GF-6 oils yet... still in testing, or whatever. Look for dexos1 gen2 on the bottle, which is what I assume you mean by dexos1 2015. From what I've read, a combo of high sodium and calcium contribute to LSPI... so with D1G2 oils you'll generally see less calcium and more magnesium. Bottom line just look for dexos1 gen2 on the bottle IMO. Latest mobil 1 5w30 has it, that's what I use.

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
A year and a half, and you havnt seen any one, of the 1200 laymans terms explinations of what not to do? Your search engine skills needs upping :p

1. Cheap gas can increase your chances
2. Be aware that Ford uses a heavy algorithm for cruise control so I advice to watch out in 6th on any hills if your cruising low rpms
3. 5th and 6th gear are dangerous if your lugging around below 3K rpms and you get on it heavily
4. Get your valves cleaned every now and then for the deposits MAY be an issue for LSPI under higher boost.
Yup, haven’t seen any that were straight forward. Mostly posts that go into more technical details. From reading the responses to my post, it would appear that I’ve been doing things the correct way all along. Keep in mind, in a year and a half, I’ve still logged less than 5500 miles on my ST. I’ve had times of going multiple months without driving it

·
Super Moderator
1,368 Posts
Yup, haven’t seen any that were straight forward. Mostly posts that go into more technical details. From reading the responses to my post, it would appear that I’ve been doing things the correct way all along. Keep in mind, in a year and a half, I’ve still logged less than 5500 miles on my ST. I’ve had times of going multiple months without driving it
Curious,

What about cruising at, for example, 65mph. A slower car comes up, you’re in 6th Gear and pass them with no boost required. Would this cause a LSPI scenario?

·
Registered
394 Posts
Just for everyone else and some clarification, I don't think we have any GF-6 oils yet... still in testing, or whatever. Look for dexos1 gen2 on the bottle, which is what I assume you mean by dexos1 2015. From what I've read, a combo of high sodium and calcium contribute to LSPI... so with D1G2 oils you'll generally see less calcium and more magnesium. Bottom line just look for dexos1 gen2 on the bottle IMO. Latest mobil 1 5w30 has it, that's what I use.
Ya I heard not long ago that the GF-6 certification has been bumped out to 2019 now.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Curious,

What about cruising at, for example, 65mph. A slower car comes up, you’re in 6th Gear and pass them with no boost required. Would this cause a LSPI scenario?
No, you would need boost. if at hwy speed and you give it such little gas that it doesn't build any boost, then there is no worry about LSPI.

Even a little boost won't be a problem, not to mention that at hwy speed, it won't take very long to get the RPMs up enough to where it would be safe.

However, it's so much more fun to jam down a gear or two and give it the beans!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
I had a really weird -6 correction on cyl 2 yesterday, was not even into half throttle.
Went somewhere yesterday, hopped on the highway and accelerated up to 60 in 4th, shifted to 6th and cruised to my destination 2 miles up.
Noticed the -6 correction and thought, well that's weird, I didn't even get on it or anything.

LSPI sadly usually doesn't even trip the knock sensor from what I read.

·
Registered
133 Posts
If you are doing things that would make an automatic transmission downshift several gears, then you probably should be downshifting as well. A short burst of boost at low engine speed isn't going to cause a problem though. It is sustained low rpm, high load that causes an issue. I don't treat port injected engines this way either. I would be aware of what not to do, but don't become obsessed with it.

Also, I would be using a good quality oil. Regular dino oils just don't cut it anymore, in my book. Especially when you can get a 5qt jug of M1 for $25. The lower the NOACK, the better.

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
No, you would need boost. if at hwy speed and you give it such little gas that it doesn't build any boost, then there is no worry about LSPI.

Even a little boost won't be a problem, not to mention that at hwy speed, it won't take very long to get the RPMs up enough to where it would be safe.

However, it's so much more fun to jam down a gear or two and give it the beans!

Always been curious, on our cars. What speed would be too high to jam down to 4th from 6th? I’m still trying to get the hang of rev matching on downshifts. There have been times when cruising at about 75mph I’ve wanted to jump down from 6th to 4th and give it the goose. However, I’ve always wondered if it would be too much, as I certainly don’t want to see a piston shoot through the hood. :wink:

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Always been curious, on our cars. What speed would be too high to jam down to 4th from 6th? I’m still trying to get the hang of rev matching on downshifts. There have been times when cruising at about 75mph I’ve wanted to jump down from 6th to 4th and give it the goose. However, I’ve always wondered if it would be too much, as I certainly don’t want to see a piston shoot through the hood. :wink:
4th gear can be driven past 100MPH

Yeah it can be taken to 100mph and a little past...if you bury it. Considering we don't make optimal power past 5.5-6k rpm...I would say 80mph is about the max speed where I'd be cruising and downshift to 4th. At 80, downshifting to 5th to pass someone at 4200rpm and building some boost really isn't going to cause a problem.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Agreed, if I'm going to down shift, I prefer to do it and end up below 5k RPMs, after that the power just starts to fall off and then you already shifting again so quickly.

·
Registered
75 Posts
You won't have a problem, unless you are cruising in 6th gear at 100MPH, then drop to 4th....then you might lol.. I drop from 4th to 6th daily on the hwy, sometimes into for 3rd just for some more fun. All depends on what speed i'm crusing at as well while in 6th. If i'm at around 60mph i'll drop to 3rd just b/c it's more fun but you'll quickly shift into 4th and continue to hammer it down :)

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
You won't have a problem, unless you are cruising in 6th gear at 100MPH, then drop to 4th....then you might lol.. I drop from 4th to 6th daily on the hwy, sometimes into for 3rd just for some more fun. All depends on what speed i'm crusing at as well while in 6th. If i'm at around 60mph i'll drop to 3rd just b/c it's more fun but you'll quickly shift into 4th and continue to hammer it down :)
With flat foot shifting enabled it's even more fun to go to 3rd and wind through into 4th without lifting your right foot :cool:

·
Registered
825 Posts
I downshift to 3rd, no problem, at 60mph to pass quickly. at 70 there is not a lot of RPM left worth the bother going down to 3rd..
I do not think I would go down to 3rd at 70mph.. 70 I would just go to 4th..

1 - 20 of 49 Posts