Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
So, in a way, this reinforces the notion to not beat on a cold engine.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Interesting that they needed better than the 91 oct fuel ti test. Wonder what the effective Octane rating was?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Just some thoughts. I'm a skeptic. I don't like articles like this that over mention one companies products. Driven's stuff may be great, but mentioning it over and over doesn't lend credibility. Another thing that worries me. All this money in labor and oil and fuel and they can't find good fuel? Why not order some? They admit they are having detonation issues but then try to pick the results out of the weeds. That is an awful lot of time and money to waste with an uncontrolled variable, which of course was fixed with Driven's products ... another placement ad?

Finally they claim that the sodium is the cause of more knock events, but the data shown in the images seems to contradict the claims in the article. I hope I am just missing something or reading it wrong.

I've been through almost every class EFIU has to offer. They are legit and some of their stuff is good. But they can be old school dudes, and the desperate attempt to illustrate that a carb is still somehow better than EFI/DI doesn't surprise me.

I can believe that oil choice could have an impact on the combustion process. But real combustion analysis is very high tech and requires a lot more than the factory knock counts and some dyno runs. If this really plays out to be true, it really means no factory warranty if you use other oils. I have an open mind, but I really hope it isn't true.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just some thoughts. I'm a skeptic. I don't like articles like this that over mention one companies products. Driven's stuff may be great, but mentioning it over and over doesn't lend credibility. Another thing that worries me. All this money in labor and oil and fuel and they can't find good fuel? Why not order some? They admit they are having detonation issues but then try to pick the results out of the weeds. That is an awful lot of time and money to waste with an uncontrolled variable, which of course was fixed with Driven's products ... another placement ad?

Finally they claim that the sodium is the cause of more knock events, but the data shown in the images seems to contradict the claims in the article. I hope I am just missing something or reading it wrong.

I've been through almost every class EFIU has to offer. They are legit and some of their stuff is good. But they can be old school dudes, and the desperate attempt to illustrate that a carb is still somehow better than EFI/DI doesn't surprise me.

I can believe that oil choice could have an impact on the combustion process. But real combustion analysis is very high tech and requires a lot more than the factory knock counts and some dyno runs. If this really plays out to be true, it really means no factory warranty if you use other oils. I have an open mind, but I really hope it isn't true.
I went back and read it again and I can see your point about it being an ad for Driven. But I thought it still had some interesting points, which is why I posted the link. I don't think they were saying a carb is superior tho, just different, and may not be as susceptible to LSPI as a DI engine would be. There must be something to this type of analysis tho because one of the primary advantages to the new GF-6 oil spec is to prevent LSPI. Whatever the cause is, its a real thing and if I have any catastrophic engine failure (tuned or not) i'm getting a new engine under warranty i'll tell you that.
One thing that I didn't quite get was how the octane rating of the fuel affects this. Their saying that the mixture of fuel and oil in the cylinder creates this other chemical with a super low octane rating that then lights off early. So does that mean even if you run 110 octane race gas that you'd still be susceptible to this? Idk. I'll definitely be running that GF-6 once it becomes available thats for sure. The best I can tell it will be out in early 2018.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Alex at Stratified posted this article on Facebook and we had a discussion about it there.

This is the first article I have seen that documents the mechanism by which oil contributes to LSPI. Basically, the article as I read it says that the "soup" of fuel and oil mixing together above the rings has a lower octane rating than either the oil or the fuel separately. And it is this soup lighting off inappropriately that is LSPI. So, less low-octane soup, less chance of LSPI. (From that standpoint, using lower-octane fuel during testing to help promote LSPI seems OK.)

How do you get less low-octane soup, or just less soup for that matter?

The usual: run better grade oils (allegedly those lower in sodium); run the highest octane fuel you can; as thin oil is better, don't run higher than 5W-30 and make sure the oil is warm before you beat on it; keep your injectors clean for better fuel atomization; and brush your teeth twice a day (just checking that you were still reading!)

Since my 2013 has 62K miles on it, I switched at the last oil change from running Penzoil Platinum Plus (the blue and silver packaging "made from natural gas") synthetic to a true synthetic, Red Line, which allegedly has less detergents and such that the article suspects help to trigger LSPI.

The full story has yet to be told IMHO, but the industry seems to making progress, so taking some precautions that cost less than a built motor seems prudent, even if Red Line (and Amsoil Signature Series) cost noticeably more than than my trusty Penzoil.

Hope that helps,
Mark

Reactions: jetmech
1 - 6 of 6 Posts