Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after (finally) doing a track day I'm now toying around with the idea of installing an LSD. The car was a lot of fun, though I wish I had better grip coming out of corners.

My car has 90k miles and since then I had the radiator / intercooler replaced to address overheating as per the recommendations here. My clutch and shifting action seems fine. Everything else is entirely stock except for the brake pads & fluid.

So I'm thinking of an LSD might be the next best thing, though I kind of have to price it out first. I've done read some reading and it appears the mFactory LSD is about $730, and installation cost is about $1100? My understanding is that you should replace the synchros and the clutch while you're at it? I've read the Ford OEM clutch is pretty good, but don't know how to price that item nor do I know anything about synchros. How much do those run and would you have any specific recommendations?

·
Registered
2016 Oxford White
1,021 Posts
Definitely do the clutch with that many miles, and might as well do the synchros if you have it apart already, If someone else is doing the work, look into a prebuilt transmission, it might not be much more then having someone do all that work, and you can just swap out the units yourself.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Definitely do the clutch with that many miles, and might as well do the synchros if you have it apart already, If someone else is doing the work, look into a prebuilt transmission, it might not be much more then having someone do all that work, and you can just swap out the units yourself.
Just to clarify, you mean to say I should look into a prebuilt transmission and it will be a little bit cheaper to do it myself? (The way it was worded makes it sound like it's more expensive to do a prebuilt transmission)

How much would it cost for the clutch parts and synchros? I've heard the OEM clutch is fine for stock HP and synchrotech is recommended?

·
Registered
2016 Oxford White
1,021 Posts
Just to clarify, you mean to say I should look into a prebuilt transmission and it will be a little bit cheaper to do it myself? (The way it was worded makes it sound like it's more expensive to do a prebuilt transmission)

How much would it cost for the clutch parts and synchros? I've heard the OEM clutch is fine for stock HP and synchrotech is recommended?
Yes, I would at least price check it. Having someone rebuild a transmission isn't cheap, I'm betting it's close to the same price to buy one already built. There's a couple folks doing that out there, I'm sure someone else will pop in with names.

·
Super Moderator
3,022 Posts
You mean like this? Focus ST Transmission | Clarke Transmissions

If done piecemeal:
  • LSD: $730 - $1000
  • Synchros: $600
  • OEM Clutch: ?
  • Install: ?
My trans was Clarke built, never had issues.
You’ll find the cost is higher than just the unit cost of each part. Also price out new bearings for the gear shafts and the diff.

it’s still cheaper to do it yourself, but there is confidence with Clarke. If you’re comfortable doing it yourself then go for it.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Jack's transmissions, Clarke transmission. My suggestion would be to buy a spare transmission from somewhere, do all the building yourself. (It's really not that hard) then swap it in.
Sell your oem Trans afterwards for some cash back.

Reactions: Coolpool

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Jack's transmissions, Clarke transmission. My suggestion would be to buy a spare transmission from somewhere, do all the building yourself. (It's really not that hard) then swap it in.
Sell your oem Trans afterwards for some cash back.
The most I've ever done is a brake job so I'll definitely be going to a shop for this one. Especially since it's my daily driver

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
The most I've ever done is a brake job so I'll definitely be going to a shop for this one. Especially since it's my daily driver
You got this! This site is an excellent resource for info.
Take a read through my Trans build thread. I've got some great threads linked. I was super apprehensive at first, but once I got a spare transmission and yanked it apart I was like I got this!
There's several good quick videos, but this one here goes into great detail.

Mine is my daily as well, swap to the built Trans was done over a weekend.

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Maybe suspension upgrade to compliment the LSD?

Reactions: MacawMania

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Maybe suspension upgrade to compliment the LSD?
OMG this is getting expensive.

My '13 Focus was fully stock until I did a trackday a month ago. First it was "I need an intercooler" then "oh wait it's a radiator that I really need too" and now it's "LSD should help with handling and then might as well upgrade synchros and replace the clutch while I'm at it..."

Ha, I'll have to think through this LSD business first...

..though what are you thinking?

·
Registered
426 Posts
Welcome to the bottomless money pit of car modifications. I started off being very sure that I was NEVER going to modify my car in ANY way. Yeah, that lasted.

EDIT: A suspension upgrade would actually complement the LSD very well. Just sayin'. You can stagger the build over a period of months or years, no rush to get it done all at once. In fact, do one upgrade at a time, and get used to that upgrade over a period of a few months. Take some time to remaster the car's improved performance after each build, and then move on to the next mod. That way it won't feel as brutal on the wallet/bank account.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts