Ford Focus ST Forum banner

101 - 120 of 131 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,692 Posts
Thanks. The battery is sitting on my workbench, so no risks there, although I should toss it on the trickle charger. I'll go do that now.
Well that makes life easier!! I was in there doing a drain and fill, and immediately "Oh wow, I can totally see somebody getting some welding practice in while doing this." So I make a point to remind people of an easily overlooked issue.

Nice, you seem to have everything sorted out proper, good on you man! Excited to hear back when she's back to driving.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
Mountune isn't exactly forthcoming with the information and status in my online account with them. I called today and the rep said the transmission is being cleaned today with reassembly shortly thereafter, and should ship out Monday or Tuesday. Guess it's time for me to get the new clutch installed since it will take a week for the transmission to get here after it actually ships. My guess is it will arrive around August 5th.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
Lol why do they even include an alignment tool ... It's like your guess is as good as mine buddy. I set the pressure plate bolts to 20ish foot pounds and used blue loctite.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
20 ft lbs is right for the pressure plate bolts right? It's the only thing I could find.

Transmission will be arriving tomorrow. I doubt I'll have time to get to the installed before the weekend, but I'll make sure to crack the crate open and snap some pictures.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Thanks for the information. I'll probably go with the MFactory as well, since it appears everyone has a high opinion of them and it's $300 less than the other options. My issue is going to be finding a shop to do the work. I don't know of any transmission shop that's really "reputable" around here (Rochester, NY). A highly regarded shop turned me down because this isn't a Porsche or BMW, their specialty. A new shop opened right down the road, Circuit Demon, a few months ago, but I'm not sure I trust them to do the work. The do have a few Focus SVT cars that are highly modified. There's also STM and BERG, but I've never dealt with either of them.

Since I'm not going to do much more to the car, I'll likely not need to upgrade the clutch or flywheel. I might have them replace the clutch with OEM spec while they are in there. The car has 68k on it, and I don't really romp on it, so its likely the clutch has plenty of life left on it.
Dude. I’m in Rochester. One of the best transmission shops you’ll ever find is in Webster. Keene Transmission on tebor rd.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
Thanks for the information. Maybe someone local will try them out for this job. My experience with local transmission and tuner shops has been sub par.

Transmission was dropped off 10 minutes ago. 141 lb shipping weight, so 11lbs heavier than when it left. The poor FedEx driver was all alone, so I told him to just leave it in the driveway.

Much cleaner than when it left, and notice the case bolts set to spec, then turned 90 degrees.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
Two hours of wrestling and the transmission is mostly mounted. Drivers side mount and the main case bolts installed.

A note to anyone doing this ... Remove the passenger axle completely, unless you can actually remove the ball joint. I tried with just the lower control arm partially unbolted and loose at the sway bar, turned out a real pain in the ass and probably delayed me an hour on removal and attachment

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
Starter, exhaust bracket, intercooler pipes installed. According to my baggies that's all the big stuff from underneath except the tray.

Filled it with 1.8qt of Motul DCTF and no leaks for now. Gotta say the designer of that Motul bottle deserves an award. Done for the day, should have it buttoned up and driving tomorrow.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
Any pointers on bleeding the clutch?

I backed out the bleeder nipple and waiting. Eventually fluid came out, so I tightened it back up. Clutch pedal goes to the floor still.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
Okay I did the following about 5 times and got clutch pedal pressure back: close nipple, pump clutch pedal a lot, open nipple, wait for fluid ... Repeat.

Am I missing anything? Clutch feels back to normal but want to make sure. Back to the auto parts store for battery terminal pads and grease so I don't have a big corrosion mess next time.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
Mother F'ing POS Ford design. Coolant overflow hose fitting just cracked when I was working on the also stupid sound symposer tube. So pissed.

·
Super Moderator
8,692 Posts
Okay I did the following about 5 times and got clutch pedal pressure back: close nipple, pump clutch pedal a lot, open nipple, wait for fluid ... Repeat.

Am I missing anything? Clutch feels back to normal but want to make sure. Back to the auto parts store for battery terminal pads and grease so I don't have a big corrosion mess next time.

Two person pump and hold then crack, just like brakes. The pickup for the clutch is right ABOVE the seam on the brake resi.

I like using a check valved bleeder bottle, especially on the clutch, just to help mitigate some of the air reversion, especially with how wonky that plastic bleeder gets. Like 3 full turns out to bleed, lmao

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #116
I buttoned everything up in the engine compartment, air box only resting in place. Fender liners, mud flaps, and under tray remain.

Car fired up and I shifted through a few gears. We'll see if there are any leaks other than coolant.

Ordered the tube from RockAuto with two day shipping. Still likely cheaper than the dealership, and they probably don't stock the part any ways. Should be here tomorrow if I'm lucky, Tuesday afternoon latest.

Still really pissed. Was so close to a complete job without breaking anything.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Yeah that bleeder is a *****, I tried a vacuum bleeder but ended up just going through the regular way. My brother pushed the pedal and I cursed at the bleeder nipple as I turned it a thousand times.

A good trick is to pre-fill the slave cyl with fluid when it’s open. It’s only like three pumps to fully bleed it after that.

I also kept the fluid reservoir filled to the top until I was done bleeding and sucked out the extra when I was done. If it sucks air it really ruins your day.

Sound alike you did alright though! That coolant line is fragile anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
Back on the ground. No parts left over. No apparent leaks. Just need my wife to help me bleed the clutch and it's ready for a test drive.

PS:. The parts used for the mud flaps rubbed away all the paint and now my fenders are rusting. I'll take care of that before winter.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #119
Took it for a drive today. Parked, went for a walk, came back, car won't start. Battery has 12.5 volts. Tried jumping it with no luck. Tried locking/unlocking a few time with no luck. Thoughts?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #120
I also tried removing the positive terminal for a few minutes to "reset" the car. Didn't work. Interior lights turn on, I might get a small click from the starter but nothing much else

101 - 120 of 131 Posts