Ford Focus ST Forum banner

81 - 100 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Since I have the entire engine compartment tore apart, does it make sense to change out the water pump, t-stat, coolant hoses, accessory belts, tensioner, idler pulley, etc? How bad are the water pumps on these engines? Our Toyota went over 200k on the OEM water pump, which is why I'm asking.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Removing the first bolt from the rear control arm bracket leaves enough give to remove the axle from the hub.

I think the transmission jack might make this more difficult to remove from the actual car, but it does help with holding it and rolling it out from the car. Getting that trans out and clearing the frame and subframe was a pain. But it's out now. Roughly 5 hours of labor, but I took my time labeling all the rear passenger side bolts since they aren't uniform.
View attachment 380331
View attachment 380332
This is how I got mine out without splitting the ball joint as well. Worked surprisingly well! Cool to see someone else figure that out too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Crate arrives on Wednesday but I was out moto-camping. The crate is made of plastic, so it only weighs a few pounds. It comes with a return label and instructions. Very easy, other than hefting it into the back of the car. I'm meeting a friend at FedEx to help me carry it to get it shipped today.

·
Super Moderator
8,696 Posts
The crate is really light ... Maybe a few pounds
Huh, i guess i never really thought about the weight of our trans. I own two of them, and have had them in/out 5 or six times at this point. Always thought they were around 75lbs for some reason when Im tossing them around. I guess im just stronger than I recognize, lmfao.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Huh, i guess i never really thought about the weight of our trans. I own two of them, and have had them in/out 5 or six times at this point. Always thought they were around 75lbs for some reason when Im tossing them around. I guess im just stronger than I recognize, lmfao.
You are full of the Powah of DUUUEEEECCCCEEE!💪👀

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
As I wait for my transmission to make it back to me, does anyone have a recommendation for gear oil?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
I used redline the entire time I had both my Mazdaspeed Proteges. I did switch to Penzzoil Synchromesh for a few months before selling the car.

I was just curious if there's a fluid that works better with this transmission. I'll see how easy it is to get my hands on Motul or Amsoil since I've always wanted to give them a try.

·
Super Moderator
8,696 Posts
I used redline the entire time I had both my Mazdaspeed Proteges. I did switch to Penzzoil Synchromesh for a few months before selling the car.

I was just curious if there's a fluid that works better with this transmission. I'll see how easy it is to get my hands on Motul or Amsoil since I've always wanted to give them a try.
Motul makes a ford spec approved DCTF fluid, not sure if Amsoil meets the specs, or if they are really that critical. Theres a lot of info to go through. Motul is the safe bet and outperforms the Motorcraft for sure.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
Sounds good. Is the Motul website correct it's only 1.7 liters (two bottles needed)? That seems low to me for some reason. $45 shipped for two bottles doesn't seem that crazy.

·
Super Moderator
8,696 Posts
Sounds good. Is the Motul website correct it's only 1.7 liters (two bottles needed)? That seems low to me for some reason. $45 shipped for two bottles doesn't seem that crazy.
Yeah its 1.8 quarts iirc. 2 bottles. Fill from the top plug by the shift arm btw!! Just dump in 1.8 qts and call it a day. Be careful of the POSITIVE connections on the front of the battery tray when using tools in this area.

I think I used Amazon for my last Motul buys, lol.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
Thanks. The battery is sitting on my workbench, so no risks there, although I should toss it on the trickle charger. I'll go do that now.

81 - 100 of 131 Posts