Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Other than the rust problem, the only thing I really don't like about my FoST is the eDiff. It performs like hot garbage in the snow. My old Mazdaspeed Protege did way better in the snow, and it bothers me to no end. If it wasn't nearly paid off, I'd seriously consider dumping it.

That being said, dumping some money into the car to cure my biggest gripe is a much better financial decision. So, does adding an LSD help? How does it work with the eDiff? Are the lower cost LSDs fine, or should I fork out the cash for Quaife (I'm not racing or autocrossing)? Any suggestions for installers in western NY?

·
Registered
441 Posts
The MFactory unit is a popular choice (typical price is ~$700, but you might find them listing a lower price in their subforum from time to time like I did). There is also the Wavetrac unit (typical price is ~$1,000).

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I have an mfactory unit installed now for a couple years, one of my first mods really. Any competent transmission shop that can change your clutch can do this work. Which while youre in there, you should upgrade the clutch and possibly flywheel (i didnt do that part only an ACT clutch)

As mentioned it goes for as low as around high 500’s to mid 600 many tomes a year. Or just PM for the best price. Quaife and mFactory are the same type of diff but quaife has a more premium name and brand, but zero advantage. Wavetrak and os giken have clutch type diffs that are more expensive and overkill on a street car imo

The ediff works fine with a physical LSD. Overall there is a tighter turn in when at the limit. It actually digs in tighter along the apex forcing me to relearn how to attack turns

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the information. I'll probably go with the MFactory as well, since it appears everyone has a high opinion of them and it's $300 less than the other options. My issue is going to be finding a shop to do the work. I don't know of any transmission shop that's really "reputable" around here (Rochester, NY). A highly regarded shop turned me down because this isn't a Porsche or BMW, their specialty. A new shop opened right down the road, Circuit Demon, a few months ago, but I'm not sure I trust them to do the work. The do have a few Focus SVT cars that are highly modified. There's also STM and BERG, but I've never dealt with either of them.

Since I'm not going to do much more to the car, I'll likely not need to upgrade the clutch or flywheel. I might have them replace the clutch with OEM spec while they are in there. The car has 68k on it, and I don't really romp on it, so its likely the clutch has plenty of life left on it.

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
Since you’re making such a considerable investment, not only monetarily but also in overall satisfaction, you should consider being willing to drive a considerable distance to find a reputable and qualified mechanic to do the job.

Reactions: junits15

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's actually not that big of an investment when you think about it and do the math. A considerable investment would be trading the car in and getting a Golf R, WRX, or Veloster N, all of which would cost significantly more out of pocket than what I estimate to be a $2000-$2500 job parts and labor. That's equivalent to 8 car payments max at my current rate. I only owe $4500 on the car, and since I've overpaid every payment, I could drop my actual payment down to $85 a month if I wanted to. If I traded this in for a different car, my payments would go up, and then that $2500 would now be 4-6 car payments equivalence.

Recommending that I be willing to travel considerable distances to have the work done isn't very helpful, unless you have a shop in mind.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Wavetrak and os giken have clutch type diffs that are more expensive and overkill on a street car imo
Wavetrac is a gear based dif still, not clutch type. Main difference vs others like quaife/mfactory is how they handle zero load situations:

Other than the rust problem, the only thing I really don't like about my FoST is the eDiff. It performs like hot garbage in the snow. [. . .] So, does adding an LSD help? How does it work with the eDiff? Are the lower cost LSDs fine, or should I fork out the cash for Quaife (I'm not racing or autocrossing)?
I will say an LSD in snow does help some but still limited by your tires; one tire vs both spinning is still not ideal if the roads are that slick. So if you are wanting an LSD just for improved snow handling, i would suggest spending money on a dedicated snow tire setup first. Of course, if you already have snow tires, an LSD with them will be beneficial and would help in the instance one wheel has more grip than the other. Outside of specific racing scenarios, I would be fine suggesting any mechanical LSD vs the oem open diff.

The e-diff is always on, the LSD may help cut down on how much it kicks on but i cant say how much better/worse it is together.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've run dedicated snows for nearly 20 years in every vehicle and preach like it's a religion to people who don't. I had snows and LSD in my Mazdaspeed Protege for 10 years, not knowing how much I would miss the diff. There's a different level of control with the diff. I felt it immediately when I drove a GTI with Perf Pack. Would have traded in for the GTI, but the Focus is much more engaging to drive. Clutch feel, power delivery, brakes, and suspension are all spot on.

In your opinion is a wavetrac worth the extra money over the MFactory? This upgrade means I keep the car until it dies or I do, so I'm willing to spend what amounts to another car payment if it's worth it.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Thanks for the information. I'll probably go with the MFactory as well, since it appears everyone has a high opinion of them and it's $300 less than the other options. My issue is going to be finding a shop to do the work. I don't know of any transmission shop that's really "reputable" around here (Rochester, NY). A highly regarded shop turned me down because this isn't a Porsche or BMW, their specialty. A new shop opened right down the road, Circuit Demon, a few months ago, but I'm not sure I trust them to do the work. The do have a few Focus SVT cars that are highly modified. There's also STM and BERG, but I've never dealt with either of them.

Since I'm not going to do much more to the car, I'll likely not need to upgrade the clutch or flywheel. I might have them replace the clutch with OEM spec while they are in there. The car has 68k on it, and I don't really romp on it, so its likely the clutch has plenty of life left on it.

Yeah circuit demon is a pretty much right down the road from me. I thought they just did like headlight retrofit and stuff like that. I actually stopped there to ask them about retrofitting hid projectors into my headlights. They said it would be around $1,000. They wanted $400 just to crack the housings open. But anyways back to the LSD. I even called aamco Walnut on transmission shop talk to a guy that said they'd call me right back for the quote. Never heard from them again. I figured my warranty for my engine is already void. I'll probably end up tearing out the transmission myself. Unless Deuce is going to build me a transmission with LSD and upgraded synchros.?

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
There is a tuner shop in Palmyra New York (boosted designs). They have a Dyno also. They might do the work for you. They seemed kind of pricey though. They want $175 for 3 Dyno runs. I don't know what thr going rate for Dyno pulls are.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
In your opinion is a wavetrac worth the extra money over the MFactory? This upgrade means I keep the car until it dies or I do, so I'm willing to spend what amounts to another car payment if it's worth it.
The tricky part is most of us havent driven on more than one type of LSD on our cars. This nice guy went for Quaife (which would be very similar to MFactory) to the Wavetrac:

Me having the same wavetrac, i can only say that i like it and it works for my needs. Cant say if its worth more or not. That being said, if you can get Mfactory and the synchros as a package deal (reach out and see if they have a bundle savings) I would do that. If you havent read about the synchros, i would do a quick search ;)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah circuit demon is a pretty much right down the road from me.
I've seen you before. I'm the blue focus with mud flaps in the area. I live on the other side of the canal by the ice rink. I didn't know what they did but checked out their site, and yeah, really expensive headlight mods is it. They'll be out of business in no time.

I've reached out to STM in Scottsville, Berg in Webster, the TLSS in the city. Berg got back to me and said they'd look into what tools they need if there's anything special, but said it will be $$ due to pulling the trans. I mean duh, I know its going to be bucks.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The tricky part is most of us havent driven on more than one type of LSD on our cars. This nice guy went for Quaife (which would be very similar to MFactory) to the Wavetrac:

Me having the same wavetrac, i can only say that i like it and it works for my needs. Cant say if its worth more or not. That being said, if you can get Mfactory and the synchros as a package deal (reach out and see if they have a bundle savings) I would do that. If you havent read about the synchros, i would do a quick search ;)
Okay, you and other guy both mentioned new synchros. Now we're talking a few hours of labor to pull apart the gear sets, install the synchros, and reassemble everything correctly. Not sure I'm willing to risk it.

That being said, what's the benefit to the risk? I mean I'm not a huge fan of having to shift into another gear before going into 1st when I'm stopped, but it's not that big of a deal. That's the only real problems I've had with the trans.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
There's a trans in a salvage yard not far from me, but they want $1050 for it with 9k on it. Would it be worthwhile to buy it, have the work done, then swap transmissions and sell mine? I'd save the money on labor, learn how to do it myself, etc? I mean I can't be that hard. I did the clutch on my Mazdaspeed Protege myself, I did my friends Civic clutch, and I did a trans conversion my former project car. Can you pull the trans without dropping the subframe on this thing?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Total overkill for my application. If I was doing track days, auto-x, or modding the hell out of the car for big power numbers, then yeah, totally worth it. I'm OEM other than a Stage 1 tune, and it's going to stay that way. I like the car as a daily the way it is, except for the traction part.

I appreciate the post, because it's very neat to see the aftermarket support this car has, and saddens me that Ford abandoned us here in the US. A local shop, Berg Racing, said they'd look into what's needed for the job. I sent them the Ford Performance write up and the How-To from this forum. Doesn't look like you need anything really special, and the only really annoying part is setting the pre-load.

In the end I might end up buying a spare trans, doing all the work myself (or getting bearings pressed by a shop), then swapping trans and selling my OEM to someone local or here on the forum. It's been a while since I've actually had to do any real work on a car, so maybe it's time to get my hands dirty again.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
I've seen you before. I'm the blue focus with mud flaps in the area. I live on the other side of the canal by the ice rink. I didn't know what they did but checked out their site, and yeah, really expensive headlight mods is it. They'll be out of business in no time.

I've reached out to STM in Scottsville, Berg in Webster, the TLSS in the city. Berg got back to me and said they'd look into what tools they need if there's anything special, but said it will be $$ due to pulling the trans. I mean duh, I know its going to be bucks.

I'll look out for you next time. I live in Macedon and work in fairport on perinton parkway. I work in a machine shop so I do have access to 40 ton hydraulic press, Mills, lathes ect. I'd like to build up my tranny a little and I had an LSD. But I'm a little scared to tackle it myself. I have a lot of mechanically inclined friends and they don't want to do it. They don't get it. They all just say it's a new car I shouldn't have to do all this stuff. It's not that I have to I just want to improve it.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, if this ends up going the way I think it is, I'll go with the plan above and buy a spare trans and install the diff and you can participate or at least spectate. Maybe we can make use of the press and machine shop gear to make/modify the tools needed. After I swap trans, you buy mine and we repeat the process ... or I just sell mine to whomever wants it.

1 - 20 of 131 Posts