Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've looked and used the search, but I'm asking anyway. I just installed a Mountune FMIC and didn't re-install the lower shroud, because I felt it would likely flop around down there, as there didn't seem to be a way to shore up the bottom section. I've also read that not using the shroud makes the air circulate around the radiator & FMIC, causing it to be less efficient. For those in the know, is there any truth to this? Should I be concerned?

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Well, it is interesting to note that the mountune FMIC has fairings (for lack of a better word) to direct air towards it in lieu of the shroud. Having said that, not reinstalling the shroud shouldn't be something to be worried about.

·
Premium Member
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately the Mountune no longer has the fairings, it's just flat on the front like most other FMIC units.

·
Registered
206 Posts
With the mountune unit, I wouldn't be too concerned. It's both much thinner at 2 inches vs the 3.5-5.5 inches of many other FMIC's, and it's also tube and fin instead of bar and plate. Both of these will make it much easier for air to go through the FMIC and radiator. Keeping the shrouds would be the absolute best, but I'd wager you'll be just fine.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
If you can fit the oem shrouding back in there, yes that will be best. The thing about is though, if your car is used as mostly daily driving with just spirited runs every now and again, then deleting it should not make any major difference. If, on the other hand, you regularly autox/ road race, then I would be more concerned about venting the airflow properly.

·
Premium Member
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you can fit the oem shrouding back in there, yes that will be best. The thing about is though, if your car is used as mostly daily driving with just spirited runs every now and again, then deleting it should not make any major difference. If, on the other hand, you regularly autox/ road race, then I would be more concerned about venting the airflow properly.
That's pretty much where I'm at. My car is just a weekend/fun car, no autox or racing. Just like to get all over it sometimes. Looks like I'll leave it off (for now).

·
Registered
279 Posts
I've looked and used the search, but I'm asking anyway. I just installed a Mountune FMIC and didn't re-install the lower shroud, because I felt it would likely flop around down there, as there didn't seem to be a way to shore up the bottom section. I've also read that not using the shroud makes the air circulate around the radiator & FMIC, causing it to be less efficient. For those in the know, is there any truth to this? Should I be concerned?
I have the Mountune for the pre facelift model. The 2013-14 mountune IC came with the inbuilt scoops to direct air. The only shroud I have kept is the top one for the radiator. I would say remove the IC shroud.

·
Premium Member
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have the Mountune for the pre facelift model. The 2013-14 mountune IC came with the inbuilt scoops to direct air. The only shroud I have kept is the top one for the radiator. I would say remove the IC shroud.
Yes, that's what I did. I just wish the new Mountune IC would have kept the scoops. Wonder why they stopped making them with the scoops?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Yes, that's what I did. I just wish the new Mountune IC would have kept the scoops. Wonder why they stopped making them with the scoops?
Perhaps it is changed due to the newly designed front bumper.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
That's pretty much where I'm at. My car is just a weekend/fun car, no autox or racing. Just like to get all over it sometimes. Looks like I'll leave it off (for now).
Yup. I still am on the stock IC. My AP is reading my charge air temps averaging about 15-20 deg above ambient. If I do some spirited driving for a bit the temps get up to 128 and even as high as 140 deg F. As soon as I let off though I notice the temps almost immediately drop back to 15-20 above ambient. Its not the best numbers for performance, but thats why I asked because for a daily commuter you will be ok.

·
Registered
289 Posts
FWIW, I forgot to put mine back in after install... Said I'd do it the next time my bumper was off... Well 20k later, it's still off. I see no issues without it. (CPE lightweight). I barely go 5 degrees over ambient no matter what I do. Canyon crawls, highway pulls... Etc etc. I have not however autox'd or tracked

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts