Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

First, forgive me but I am pretty ignorant when it comes to cars...

I have a 2013 ST3, stock except for Ford racing exhaust, just under 45K miles.

While out in the country Sunday morning, the car turned over, shook for a couple of seconds, check engine now light comes on and it died. Tried a second time and it shook like I was on a roller coaster and died. Tried a third time a couple of hours later, same result.

Tow truck called Monday morning. It started right up with the engine light on. He towed it to a Ford dealer in a little town of about 5000. Codes P2111 and P2135. They said there was a TSB for it, wrapped some wires laying across the intake manifold saying it was a voltage problem and said it was fixed. Tuesday morning I set out for my 140 mile drive home. I made it about 90 miles when the car started shudder and lose power. Fortunately, I was near civilization, bucked it off the highway into a parking lot. Service engine soon light on. Turned the car off, restarted, service engine light was gone. I made it the additional 50 miles home, dropped off the dogs, and went to my local dealership. I explained the series of events. The service rep starts the car and the service engine now light comes on.

The service department called and said it was a bad throttle body (P2135) and replaced it. They told me the TSB was for a Focus, not an ST so it did nothing. I picked the car up Thursday evening. Friday, while coming back from lunch with a coworker, it happened again, loss of power and acting like it was going to stall (service engine now light on again). I pulled into a parking lot and shut the engine off and it started right back up like nothing happened. I took it back to the shop. It showed no codes so they say they can't do anything until it does. They have a call in to Ford.

Anyone know what is causing this? Anyone with similar problems? Pedal sensor? Bad computer? I had the oil changed two weeks ago and a new battery back in April. I appreciate any input or ideas. I have a lot of highway driving to do these days with a whole lot of "nothing" along the roadway. I don't trust the car now and frankly, this is dangerous.

Thanks
K

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
There is a TSB for the ST's wire harness. Actually there was a recall for the wire harness.
Have the dealer check a little deeper into that.
Good Luck.

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
Problem is even the updated wiring harnesses were/are prone to being crapola. I too recommend looking deeper into the harness. Some have had reputable shops do some repairs to the wires (i.e. cut/splice/solder).

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Dave. I was wondering about that harness. Reading up on the recall and the problems the faulty wiring harness can cause...sounds a lot like my problem. I've driven it a little since yesterday and so far it hasn't happened again.

K

·
Registered
206 Posts
Does sound like the harness. The harness wire splice TSB was probably performed in 2014 like you said, a crap job was done, and now 3yrs later the connections are working their way loose.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having the same issue with my 2014 Ford Focus, shuttering at the start up and low power....Just bought it from the dealership today they had to know about it, I noticed it on the test drive and I asked the salesman if it was normal for that vehicle, he said it was fine....Now I see that it is not,I noticed there was a recall for this issue, but its not there any more, wondering how to proceed, or contact the dealership.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts