Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bit the bullet and bought a full set of Damon Motorsport mounts for my 2013 ST .... my PMM was worn anyway but I wanted to eliminate the swing these things are notorious for

Before I start these mounts from DM are really nice... well engineered and look great... no problems with the product

however, after fitting the RMM my wife won’t even drive the car.... NVH is terrible and I’m afraid anyone who says you get used to it isn’t being serious... this is a daily driver, it shouldn’t be unpleasant.

It’s settled a little now after about 200 miles and I’ll wait for the 500 to 1000 before casting final judgement but right now... the cons outweigh the pros .... I did try to get the bushing size as DM states their bushes are OTS... if anyone knows what these are and know where I can source softer Duro please let me know... but no details from DM except there may be some softer mounts into the future

my options?.... find a new wife.... replace the RMM for a new E Focus mount like the one I replaced... or look for another aftermarket mount

there’s 2 on my shortlist....Mounts not wives

The Innovative mounts unit... which has a 70 Durometer bush with a unique design claimed to have really low NVH

Or the JBR stage 2 which has a large vertically oriented bush that again claims low NVH And again a choice or Duro

Problem is there’s hardly any reviews out there to help me choose... I’ve emailed both companies but no reply yet....

Anyone familiar with these willing to give an honest appraisal?

·
Premium Member
570 Posts
NVH is quite subjective. I have a CPE Stage 2 RMM w/ ~10k miles. I genuinely don't notice any NVH except at idle with the AC running or when accelerating from a stop if I don't give it a goodly amount of gas before the clutch is fully released.

If the Damond RMM is too much for you, adding the side mounts will drive you bonkers - and your wife will divorce you due the paintshaker style NVH you'll get with all three mounts installed. Maybe aftermarket motor mounts aren't for you?

Remember, vendors will usually minimize the downside of their products. They know most people prefer minimal NVH so it's unlikely an RMM vendor is going to to say "it's going to shake your nuts off if you install our product". Be sure to take what they say with a grain of salt.

·
2017 Kona Blue ST1
1,144 Posts
I also run thr CP-e stage 2 and in process of installing a the driver &Passenger side mount with the Damon Motorsports.

Originally I had installed the CP-e Stage 1 and wasn't happy with the NVH. Switched to the Stage 2 shortly after. You really need to give it some time to break in, but any mount other than the bubble gum durometer stocker is going to increase NVH.

J

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quite aware of the subjective nature of NVH but it’s not hard to be honest... I’m happy with a little increase as a trade off but the DM is really harsh

the JBR Stage 2 looks very similar to the CPE stage 2 ... so if you think they’re a good compromise I might head that way

either that or the innovative mounts have a 60 and 75 Duro that may be a better choice

especially with my Damon sides

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
NVH is quite subjective. I have a CPE Stage 2 RMM w/ ~10k miles. I genuinely don't notice any NVH except at idle with the AC running or when accelerating from a stop if I don't give it a goodly amount of gas before the clutch is fully released.

If the Damond RMM is too much for you, adding the side mounts will drive you bonkers - and your wife will divorce you due the paintshaker style NVH you'll get with all three mounts installed. Maybe aftermarket motor mounts aren't for you?

Remember, vendors will usually minimize the downside of their products. They know most people prefer minimal NVH so it's unlikely an RMM vendor is going to to say "it's going to shake your nuts off if you install our product". Be sure to take what they say with a grain of salt.
I can’t accept vendors tell fibs

what’s annoying is the contradicting opinions from people who’ve bought them

I understand some people gate vibes and some don’t mind but when people say there’s none and the next one says they’re terrible .... that’s annoying

·
Premium Member
1,016 Posts
NO, the JBR stage 2 has crazy NVH...pulled mine out for the same reason you are looking to. I had this annoying noise from the passenger seat everytime my wife would go along 😂

I went down to the JBR street mount and its a great compromise, just enough to know it’s upgraded and not enough to cause the annoying squawk 😉

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lol ... I’m thinking of taking out the passenger seat

you went with the 70 Duro?

what break in needed?

·
Premium Member
1,016 Posts
Red one on the left, almost no break in. I’ve got 2 or 3,000 miles on it and would recommend.

where do you live, best bet is to either ride in one or just be prepared to swap em out

for ~100 bucks and an hour of your time, it’s kind of a fun project 😉

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Im an Aussie so it’s $100 US plus another $100 for postage

you went with the JBR stage 2 first? At 70 Duro Street ?

mare the stage 1’s a little less NVH?

im thinking to either follow your advice or the 60 Duro innovative

·
Premium Member
1,016 Posts
Ah, can’t help ya over there...lol

i went stage 2 first, and if I was single I would have kept it...but she puts up with me, and I would rather she like driving it when she needs to, so out it went.

now I have the 70 duro street mount, and it still has a LITTLE nvh, but not enough to bug her like the Stage2 did.

good compromise IMHO

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Your humble opinion is good enough for me

ordered

will let you know what she

I mean I think

👍

·
Registered
123 Posts
So I bit the bullet and bought a full set of Damon Motorsport mounts for my 2013 ST .... my PMM was worn anyway but I wanted to eliminate the swing these things are notorious for
I went through this on my previous '13 MY ST.
When I installed the RMM, it was ridiculous. I thought it was pretty cool for a few minutes, then it quickly became quite annoying. Seeing it was late fall, I was too lazy to try swapping in an OEM and decided I'd live with it until spring.
By spring, the added vibration was mostly gone combined a little bit with me getting used to it I suppose. I never removed it as it became completely acceptable and I was happy with the change at that point.
I would, however, discourage using the stiff upper mounts. I never tried it, but reports are damning if you can't handle the vibration, it won't go away, so I opted to not even try it.
I'd say give it time and you'll end up happy, but ditch the uppers and go OEM.

·
Premium Member
1,016 Posts
^^^ he has a good point. I ignored the upper mount scenario because the OP didn’t mention issues until he fitted the RMM.

·
Registered
123 Posts
^^^ he has a good point. I ignored the upper mount scenario because the OP didn’t mention issues until he fitted the RMM.
As one mentioned, it is a subjective thing.
I once had a '69 Cougar with one of the wildest cams I could get for the 351w (without going roller anyway). I used solid motor mounts and, and eventually log chain to tie it down and stop the thing from trying to climb out of the engine bay. At that young age, I still didn't have many fillings in my teeth, thank God. You almost needed a mouth guard to sit in it when it was running. But now I'm most likely considered an old man by the average here, and that sort of thing in a daily driver is a no-go for me.
so yea, what is acceptable is quite subjective, and if the wife doesn't like it, well, that's the end game right there.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You better believe it lol

I’ve gone a softer Duro ... sorry young fellas but I also cook my meat....

👍

·
1,556 Posts
When i initially emailed Innovative, they advised against using the 60 durometer due to the power levels of the ST in stock form. I thought that was strange they'd offer that option at all because of that.

The good news is you can replace the bushings for 20 dollars. Since you're already Paying the expensive postage, you might want to call them and ask if they can change your order and add a set of spare 75 bushings in the event you wipe out the 60s.

·
1,556 Posts
@wingnutt i just made an assumption based on post 11 but now that i re-read 12 and 13, i think you're right.

Reactions: wingnutt
1 - 20 of 25 Posts