Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2014 Focus ST (~96,000 miles) and for the past few years have been receiving a Low Brake Fluid warning whenever the temperature drops low. I've had the brake fluid checked and it is not low despite the warning. This year, I received the warning and my clutch is sticking to the floor and will no longer return to the original position. The issue slowly has gotten worse to a point where I can no longer put the vehicle in gear. Any help is appreciated!!!!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
8,284 Posts
I have a 2014 Focus ST (~96,000 miles) and for the past few years have been receiving a Low Brake Fluid warning whenever the temperature drops low. I've had the brake fluid checked and it is not low despite the warning. This year, I received the warning and my clutch is sticking to the floor and will no longer return to the original position. The issue slowly has gotten worse to a point where I can no longer put the vehicle in gear. Any help is appreciated!!!!!!!!
Have you actually looked at the fluid level yourself?

·
Super Moderator
8,284 Posts
I just checked it again. It is a little low, but not too bad. Going to put some in it tonight to see if it makes a difference.
Check to clutch line connections at the master cylinder and at the trans (under the air box) for leaks. Even a tiny leak can introduce air into the line and you will lose the pedal.

·
Registered
2013 TS ST3, with some stuff done.
197 Posts
Could be internal leak into the bell housing from the slave, sticking pedal could be the spring or spring platform. Fluid will drop as the brake pads wear, check your pads to see how much meat is left on them.

·
Registered
2013 ST2, AGP BWS turbo, SP63 block
262 Posts
Im an opponent of the stock clutch line. the stupid flow restrictor is made of plastic and brake fluid makes it very sticky over time. used to screw with my clutch pedal real bad. like would leave it stuck down. ultimately my slave was on the way out too so that was definitely playing in to it.

best case scenario is your brakes wore down and sucked up brake fluid or there is a leak in the line.
IMO its likely that your slave is going bad. Especially since you cant get it into gear. You can try bleeding the slave. If it keeps taking on fluid or air bubbles come out when you bleed the slave I'd say its time to pull the trans off and replace it. hopefully the other recommendations work.

Reactions: pbuckeroo

·
Administrator
10,382 Posts
Im an opponent of the stock clutch line. the stupid flow restrictor is made of plastic and brake fluid makes it very sticky over time. used to screw with my clutch pedal real bad. like would leave it stuck down. ultimately my slave was on the way out too so that was definitely playing in to it.

best case scenario is your brakes wore down and sucked up brake fluid or there is a leak in the line.
IMO its likely that your slave is going bad. Especially since you cant get it into gear. You can try bleeding the slave. If it keeps taking on fluid or air bubbles come out when you bleed the slave I'd say its time to pull the trans off and replace it. hopefully the other recommendations work.
Could very well be the master.

The way I troubleshoot this.

Check bellhousing weep hole for fluid.
Check top of trans for fluid
Check by the pedals for fluid in the car.

Then, Top off brake fluid, bleed clutch, see if it even build pressure.
Look for leaks.

If theres no leaks, and no pressure. I replace the master cylinder, and suggest replacing the clutch soft line.

If after both those, you still have clutch issues, THEN it's time to drop the trans and do the slave.

Dollars, to effort, to time down. Clutch master first, always. Its like a 70 dollar part, and an easy install.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

I'm starting to lean towards the slave cylinder also. I'm going to try bleeding the slave and see if there's any success. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Could very well be the master.

The way I troubleshoot this.

Check bellhousing weep hole for fluid.
Check top of trans for fluid
Check by the pedals for fluid in the car.

Then, Top off brake fluid, bleed clutch, see if it even build pressure.
Look for leaks.

If theres no leaks, and no pressure. I replace the master cylinder, and suggest replacing the clutch soft line.

If after both those, you still have clutch issues, THEN it's time to drop the trans and do the slave.

Dollars, to effort, to time down. Clutch master first, always. Its like a 70 dollar part, and an easy install.
This is good to know, thank you!

·
Administrator
10,382 Posts
This is good to know, thank you!
Yeah man, i've swapped a handful of masters at this point, and have dealt with some unique clutch problems. So this is all first hand experience with this platform.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah man, i've swapped a handful of masters at this point, and have dealt with some unique clutch problems. So this is all first hand experience with this platform.
Update: It looks like the master is the issue. I checked underneath the clutch pedal and there is brake fluid in the carpet in addition to brake fluid on the spring and on the back side of the clutch pedal. 🙃 Much better than the alternative I guess... please let me know if you have any recommendations or suggestions for swapping out the master!

·
Administrator
10,382 Posts
Update: It looks like the master is the issue. I checked underneath the clutch pedal and there is brake fluid in the carpet in addition to brake fluid on the spring and on the back side of the clutch pedal. 🙃 Much better than the alternative I guess... please let me know if you have any recommendations or suggestions for swapping out the master!
Yeah, imagine if you dropped your trans to find out your slave is fine, lmao!

Its sold as the clutch pedal and clutch master in one assembly. I spelled out the swap in a couple of threads. Try to search for them, I may try to link them later.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, imagine if you dropped your trans to find out your slave is fine, lmao!

Its sold as the clutch pedal and clutch master in one assembly. I spelled out the swap in a couple of threads. Try to search for them, I may try to link them later.
Just found your response on another thread. Thanks so much for the help.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts