Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are lots of threads about headlights upgrade.... I still can't find anything solid on reflector housing bulb upgrade.
Some options refer to upgrading to projector or retrofitting. OEM projectors seem to be very expensive. Aftermarket options include sealing risks(condensations) My decision was to try to find a bulb as a direct replacement to upgrade. Did anyone have any success with a good pattern for low beam in the original reflector housing? I drive a 2017 FoST for more than 2 years and nothing I tried so far is better than the stock cutoff. I would be very curious to find out if anyone has a good solution for this, without upgrading to projector housing. I've heard some good things about the GTR ultra 2 led's, but I wish I could find some advice on this community(they are not the cheapest). Priority for me is a at least the same cutoff quality as the original h11 halogen and better brightness.
This thread should be very specific(low beam upgrade in reflector housing led or HID)
Thanks for any help

·
Registered
298 Posts
According to Ryan's guide on hid planet you can modify a 65w h9 bulb and drop it in to gain 700 lumens of output while keeping the same correct beam pattern.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
23 Posts
I also have a 2017 ST1. I got Hikari led bulbs from Amazon and they are excellent. They turn once installed to ensure a good beam. I get a flatter beam and much whiter than stock. Been in about a year and so far no issues.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
I'm also running the hikari ultra LEDs in my low beam. I'm also running hikari ultra h1's in the high beam. However the h1 bulb retainers that I ordered to replace the factory ones which a bulb can't pass through where Junk. I ended up breaking a few tabs off of the back of the reflector so I can epoxy the LED ring to the housing. Then you can slip the h1 bulb into the ring. It's a tight fit for the high beams. But they seem to work really well is set above the really bright and really white. And they seemed to match the factory beam pattern really well. But to be honest the factory being pattern wasn't that great to begin with.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Nice,
Did you guys need to re-align the headlight?
Yes, I adjusted the height of the beam with a long Philips screwdriver. I set them to cut off at the height of my wife's mustang's trunk. I figure that's a good height. I really wanted to max them up to blind all the trucks/suvs that blind me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts