Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought my ST used March 2015 with 20k on the clock and since then it has had 4 rear-main seal failures and the dealership can't seem to find a resolution. I've posted numerous times on here about my rear main seal saga. I just had my rear main done on 5/15 as well as a new clutch and flywheel (that I paid for) and before I finished the clutch break-in period my rear main seal failed again. I have my oil pan dropped so often I've never had to pay for an oil change. It's absolutely insane. Now my trans is popping out of 2nd and the dealership "can't duplicate it". Warranty is nearly up and I'm about to have to make a decision.

I really enjoy my car and I don't want to get rid of it. There is literally nothing else in my price range that I want more than my ST. Starting to regret buying it because I "fell in love" so to speak, with this car but now I feel like I can't keep it.

****ing sucks.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Lemon law? 3 times repaired is enough to send me packing. Other option selling it and getting another one. 2017 should be cheap now

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Maybe get it fixed one more time stock it out and trade it in for a newer one? Then put your aftermarket parts on that one?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Don't get rid of it. Do the right thing and go after lemon law. The same job has been done to your motor and it always fails. The surface the rear main sits on needs to be completely flat. If the seal itself or back of the engine are not flat, the rubber will not hold. The only thing I can advise to bandaid the fix would be to use the right stuff (absolutely best and only sealant I would ever use, you could make an oil pan gasket out of it).

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Lemon law on a 2 year old used car is unlikely.

Magnuson Moss lawsuit is a more likely option.

That said, if this work has all been done at the same dealership, I'd find a new one that was hopefully competent enough to resolve these issues you're having.

And then hell yeah, I'd dump the car. It's not worth the headaches and since you bought used, you shouldnt be taking too massive of a hit when you sell it.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Magnuson Moss. Hate for someone else you have to deal with the same thing. Maybe at worst they'll swap short blocks with you.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did look into the lemon law in my state and it only applies to cars purchased new. I have considered getting a new ST but I have a bit of a bitter taste in my mouth over this issue and little faith in Ford. Also I don't really care for the other colors and the new yellow they replaced TS with isn't that great. I am going to give it another shot before warranty is up. Might try another dealership, the same tech did every replacement on my car. Only thing is only one Ford dealership in my area provides loaners for warranty work. Another irritating Ford issue as they apparently have no official loaner program it's at dealership discretion. Guess we'll see.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You could purchase an aftermarket warranty as well.. it should cover you up to 100k miles or so .. I picked that up when I bought my '14 used...

·
Registered
311 Posts
Agree what others have said, fix it under warranty, put it back to stock and sell it, then buy a new '17. If you can't do that because of a bitter taste in your mouth then you'll have to work on that issue yourself, we can't help you with that.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
One thing I can speak on from experience... the idea of getting another ST after your current car has left you completely p*ssed off and disappointed...

I went through over a year of my 2015 ST being un-fixable by Ford. The car spent 58 days at the dealership and after more stress than I ever thought possible with a car, Ford bought the car back. The buy back process was a disaster as well, but I had the option to get a new ST or get a check from Ford. Against my better judgement (throughout the whole process, I had completely sworn off Ford for good), I took a replacement ST (long story).

Anyways, I've had the replacement ST for 7 months and 7,000 miles. It's been trouble free.

I still like the car and the way it drives. I like the way it looks. I was mad I couldn't get a Performance Blue replacement but I've grown to really really like Race Red. Because I sort of rationalize that I got this one for free, I've been driving it hard and enjoying it a lot more than I ever did my 2015. I have more of a carefree attitude with it even though I still take immaculate care of it.

But I have absolutely zero emotional attachment to the car. That's probably a good thing, but it's certainly very different from the way I felt when I had my 2015 (before it went south).

Would I be happier in the mk7 GTI I had picked out as a replacement car? It's possible, but even after extensive test drives, I never liked the car as much as I did the ST. I always remember taking this photo when I was shopping for replacement cars... I don't think I could have ever gotten over how dull the GTI looks in comparison to the ST.

IMG_20161011_153102024_HDR.jpg

And just today, when I was walking up to my ST at 5:30am, I felt compelled to take a picture of it just because I liked how stupid bright the red paint is and how the car stands out, even when the light is dim...

IMG_20170809_053956019.jpg

I still don't like Ford after all I went through and I feel a little dumb for getting another ST, but it's a pretty decent car when it works. For the price, there's not much else I'd rather have.

·
Vendor
104 Posts
Bring that to another dealer... if the rear main is leaking again, chances are they didnt do it correctly... and, they clearly dont know how to get parts covered... with a leaking rear main, they could have gotten the clutch and flywheel covered for oil contamination....

Second off, popping out of gear is a known issue with the ST trans, as well as syncros.

5yr/60k powertrain warranty on that as well, and with a bad syncro Ford cost cap says replace transmission every time... diag procedure per ford with a stif shifter or coming out of gear is literraly: check trans fluid is full, if yes, replace transmission

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hate to hear that, man. The Focus ST was the most fun I could have in a new car for my price range. But I would agree with Mr Freektune- try another dealer and see what happens!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have gone back and forth about getting rid of the car vs. trying to get it fixed at another dealership. If i get another ST I want another ST3 because I don't want to feel like I'm trading down. Right now would be the best time to get one with the current incentives and I also get x-plan however my main barrier is having to pay sales tax out of pocket. That's a little difficult right now. Also there's only like 1 ST3 within 100 miles of where I live and it's Kona Blue which I'm not a fan of.

I think it will be worthwhile to take it to a different dealership to try to get it fixed and ride it out until my drivetrain warranty is up next summer. It will probably be my last attempt. I guess my optimum outcome would be if ford agreed to replace the transmission and shortblock. I would probably keep the car indefinitely if this were the case, provided it has no other major issues. One thing I am certain of is that I will regret getting rid of this car and that makes this whole thing even more difficult.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Not gonna lie, it might be beyond the Seal. We had a "bulliten" for Chevrolet Equinox's blowing out rear mains due to pressure build up in the crank case. Now the Equinox's are N/A vehicles, but essentially if there was enough moisture in the PCV line, it would freeze ,and basically plug up the ability to vacuum out the crank case, causing the seal to blow. These are F/I vehicles, they will build up pressure in the crankcase, so the slightest thing cutting off any ability to vacuum out that pressure could be making that pressure find another way out. Just my $.02

1 - 16 of 16 Posts