Ford Focus ST Forum banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
On my way home from work today, was enjoying the heat and humidity with some louder than usual pops and crackles. Didn't notice the cop until I popped right in front of him. He stopped me for 27150(a) in California. The new and improved exhaust noise law. Anyone else had to deal with this yet?

I've got the Roush exhaust. Have had it on my car for years now and this is the first time being stop for anything other than speeding. Says I need to go to a State Referee.
I got pulled over years ago in my ep3 civic. Went to the state referee, they put a db meter just behind my Greddy exhaust (dc sports headers) and revved the engine to i believe 5k. It passed and then I had to go to court to show the paper work. Whole thing cost me about $10 but lots of time and aggravation. I now carry the passed certificate with me. Although I'm driving my ST most of the time now.

·
Registered
2015 Focus ST
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I got pulled over years ago in my ep3 civic. Went to the state referee, they put a db meter just behind my Greddy exhaust (dc sports headers) and revved the engine to i believe 5k. It passed and then I had to go to court to show the paper work. Whole thing cost me about $10 but lots of time and aggravation. I now carry the passed certificate with me. Although I'm driving my ST most of the time now.
Nice! That's not exactly a quiet setup either. I'd love to hear it. No question about them being CARB legal?

·
Super Moderator
7,218 Posts
Nothing like that in Ohio, but maybe would be a good thing, could get some Harleys off the road...
No matter where I have lived, and I have lived all over, I have never seen or heard of a Harley being ticketed for noise. Fortunately I live in Kansas now; no emissions, no noise laws and cops that have better things to do!

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Nothing like that in Ohio, but maybe would be a good thing, could get some Harleys off the road...
Bah, humbug.

Btw, what part of Ohio?

·
Registered
2015 Focus ST
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Just a follow up: I've got my first appointment on Monday with the state ref and it's a phone appointment.

According to an attorney I spoke to (and a video on CJ Pony Parts), it just needs to be less than 95 db at 3000 rpm. I checked with a phone app and it's registering at 84. I'll update after my phone appointment. This should only cost me about $135 total and I will have the state certificate in hand.

Reactions: dan's st

·
Super Moderator
7,218 Posts
Just a follow up: I've got my first appointment on Monday with the state ref and it's a phone appointment.

According to an attorney I spoke to (and a video on CJ Pony Parts), it just needs to be less than 95 db at 3000 rpm. I checked with a phone app and it's registering at 84. I'll update after my phone appointment. This should only cost me about $135 total and I will have the state certificate in hand.
Wait a minute; even if you are under the noise limit they are going to charge you $135.00? I know Cali needs alot of money to pay for all of the craziness that goes on out there, but pay for being innocent of the violation? I am glad I moved away from there before all this nonsense; I don't think I could take it without snapping on someone...daily!

·
Registered
2015 Focus ST
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Yeah, it costs $25 for court costs (I think) and $108 for the state ref.

When did you move away? Sound law had been in effect since 2003.

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
So the cop thought it may be too loud?

According to your phone app. it’s not?

If the ref confirms your exhaust is not too loud you still have to pay over $100...essentially because the cop sent you to the ref??

Surely I’m missing something??

Reactions: junits15 and ddfred

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
So the cop thought it may be too loud?

According to your phone app. it’s not?

If the ref confirms your exhaust is not too loud you still have to pay over $100...essentially because the cop sent you to the ref??

Surely I’m missing something??
Welcome to government.

·
Premium Member
941 Posts
sounds about right...their theory is, they can’t keep you from putting the “correct” muffler on in between getting the ticket and showing up at the ref.

when I ran all sorts of illegal crap on my VR4, I was more than happy to pay the 80 bucks (back then) to get a clear certificate, then ran home and put the illegal chit back on 😂

they are trying to keep you from modifying your car at all...

·
Registered
261 Posts
On my way home from work today, was enjoying the heat and humidity with some louder than usual pops and crackles. Didn't notice the cop until I popped right in front of him. He stopped me for 27150(a) in California. The new and improved exhaust noise law. Anyone else had to deal with this yet?

I've got the Roush exhaust. Have had it on my car for years now and this is the first time being stop for anything other than speeding. Says I need to go to a State Referee.
Where do you live?? I’ve had a straight pipe for going on 2 years and never had a single issue w cops. I also lived in LA for some of that but SD has been chill too.

Is it a fix it ticket? Also how do they determine it’s too loud, with a noise meter or something?? That law is such BS... I’ll listen to the governments modification requests as soon as they start making my car payments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2015 Focus ST
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I live in Riverside. It was motorcycle cop that had nothing better to do. I've had the exhaust system on for 4 years without a problem. All they need is to suspect it's too loud. The state will test it with a sound meter.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I live in Riverside. It was motorcycle cop that had nothing better to do. I've had the exhaust system on for 4 years without a problem. All they need is to suspect it's too loud. The state will test it with a sound meter.
I hate that ****. I really do. It’s such bullshit.

So what are you going to do? When’s ur apt? Maybe you could stuff some something down your exhaust pipe with some fishing wire attached before you go to the StAtE TeSt, then pull that **** out when ur done.

After poking around a bit, my idea was on the right track. A lot of people say to stuff some Brillo steel wool pads in the exhaust and fish them out later with a coat hanger or build an apparatus.
Another option is to buy a baffle insert like these...

·
Super Moderator
7,218 Posts
Yeah, it costs $25 for court costs (I think) and $108 for the state ref.

When did you move away? Sound law had been in effect since 2003.

·
Super Moderator
7,218 Posts
Where do you live?? I’ve had a straight pipe for going on 2 years and never had a single issue w cops. I also lived in LA for some of that but SD has been chill too.

Is it a fix it ticket? Also how do they determine it’s too loud, with a noise meter or something?? That law is such BS... I’ll listen to the governments modification requests as soon as they start making my car payments.

How do they determine it's too loud...check post #15 in this thread...

·
Premium Member
941 Posts
Ok, just got off the phone with my local shop (brother-in-law) and he verified exactly what I said. The fix-it ticket is all but dead as of 01july.

In california if your chit is not completely stock, you get a ref ticket; no ands, ifs, or butts about it. It’s then on YOU to prove (and pay) for the privilege of running even that CARB legal mod.

...kalifornia does NOT want you to modify your car, period.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Ok, just got off the phone with my local shop (brother-in-law) and he verified exactly what I said. The fix-it ticket is all but dead as of 01july.

In california if your chit is not completely stock, you get a ref ticket; no ands, ifs, or butts about it. It’s then on YOU to prove (and pay) for the privilege of running even that CARB legal mod.

...kalifornia does NOT want you to modify your car, period.
They do want you to modify it so they can write you a ticket. It’s all about revenue. They are just coming up with new ways to increase their revenue stream.

So there is no requirement to fix it? Just pay a fine and it’s all good?

·
Premium Member
2018 Ford Focus ST1
638 Posts
So it sounds like things go like this with these garbage tickets in Commiefornia...

1. Cranky cop initiates what he knows is likely a bogus citation.

2. The citizen then has to jump through hoops and waste his time to PROVE his innocence.

3. Then he has to pay an extortion fee to the Cali government so he has a certificate to prove his innocence for the next time a cranky cop pulls him over.

Therefore, the cop knows he can generate revenue that ultimately helps with his paycheck whether he writes a valid citation or not because no matter what happens the citizen has to pay.

Sounds more like a mafia tactic to me and "protect and serve" has evolved into "accuse and fleece"...

Reactions: junits15

·
Super Moderator
7,218 Posts
So it sounds like things go like this with these garbage tickets in Commiefornia...

1. Cranky cop initiates what he knows is likely a bogus citation.

2. The citizen then has to jump through hoops and waste his time to PROVE his innocence.

3. Then he has to pay an extortion fee to the Cali government so he has a certificate to prove his innocence for the next time a cranky cop pulls him over.

Therefore, the cop knows he can generate revenue that ultimately helps with his paycheck whether he writes a valid citation or not because no matter what happens the citizen has to pay.

Sounds more like a mafia tactic to me and "protect and serve" has evolved into "accuse and fleece"...
So you've never lived in California? It's always been bad, it's just getting worse. Everyone in my family left there; I've been out for 36 years.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts