Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Focus ST
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my way home from work today, was enjoying the heat and humidity with some louder than usual pops and crackles. Didn't notice the cop until I popped right in front of him. He stopped me for 27150(a) in California. The new and improved exhaust noise law. Anyone else had to deal with this yet?

I've got the Roush exhaust. Have had it on my car for years now and this is the first time being stop for anything other than speeding. Says I need to go to a State Referee.

Reactions: Tunapish

·
Premium Member
2018 Focus ST1
139 Posts
On my way home from work today, was enjoying the heat and humidity with some louder than usual pops and crackles. Didn't notice the cop until I popped right in front of him. He stopped me for 27150(a) in California. The new and improved exhaust noise law. Anyone else had to deal with this yet?

I've got the Roush exhaust. Have had it on my car for years now and this is the first time being stop for anything other than speeding. Says I need to go to a State Referee.
When I was going to get a full 3” exhaust I was told about a new “noise pollution” violation. I’m also in California. I ended up with a 2.5” stealth exhaust. Saved my ass a handful of times. That’s a rough one dude. Both ideas above are worth looking into ^ ^

·
Registered
2015 Focus ST
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wish I still had my factory exhaust. Had no room for it to keep it.

Cop said he stopped me because pops and crackles. With the heat and humidity lately, they've been texted m extra loud.

Should've pulled it out of great as soon as I saw him but hindsight is always 20/20.

·
Super Moderator
7,104 Posts
Another option -

Leave California

Join Joe Rogan in Texas
I keep telling everyone, come on over to Kansas. Low cost of living, low taxes, and best of all, run what ya brung! Getting inspected is a one time deal for out of state cars; you just go on down to your friendly neighborhood State Trooper Sub-Station, they give your car a look see and your in! No annual inspection, no emissions! You can run your race car down the street as long as you have head lights, tail lights, turn signals and a horn; could probably get away with no turn signals as long as you use proper hand signals. I have a State Trooper down the street from me; nicest guy you'd ever want to meet, and, with his well marked patrol unit parked in front of his home there is little to no non-sense on the block!

·
Registered
644 Posts
If he nabbed your for the pops can you just get inspected with no pops and be done?

Or does the law require the factory exhaust or something stupid?

·
Registered
2015 Focus ST
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If he nabbed your for the pops can you just get inspected with no pops and be done?

Or does the law require the factory exhaust or something stupid?
That's what I was thinking. I've got to find out if the exhaust without the tune can pass the sound check. It's got to be 95db or less at I think 4 feet.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Man, that’s sucks.... I’m in CA also & it’s always something here.... Was it CHP or a city Cop? Also, when they say ‘state ref’ where exactly is that? Do you have to go to the DMV inspection or something?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
910 Posts
Man, that’s sucks.... I’m in CA also & it’s always something here.... Was it CHP or a city Cop? Also, when they say ‘state ref’ where exactly is that? Do you have to go to the DMV inspection or something?

that’s the sate referee...they have access to the database to tell if your particular mod is CARB certified or not. For instance, a Cobb intake is CARB, but the carbon fiber intake by Cobb is not. If the trooper has any doubts, he/she sends you to the ref, because even the state knows the smog certificate can be accomplished under the table, but the ref cannot.

Referee Program

·
Registered
232 Posts
Ugh sorry you had to deal with this OP. In another life, I lived in a CA and my first rude introduction to CARB was having my mustang fail inspection over a K&N air filter....

I miss CA for many things. Owning a fun car in the golden state is NOT one of them...

·
Registered
144 Posts
How do they quantify "shall at all times be equipped with an adequate muffler in constant operation and properly maintained to prevent any excessive or unusual noise" taken from this BS law.

Does the officer use a db meter? Hell VW bugs make an unusual noise. Just sound like a way for the state to extort $$$.

·
Premium Member
910 Posts
How do they quantify "shall at all times be equipped with an adequate muffler in constant operation and properly maintained to prevent any excessive or unusual noise" taken from this BS law.

Does the officer use a db meter? Hell VW bugs make an unusual noise. Just sound like a way for the state to extort $$$.
that’s where the ref comes into the equation...the officer suspects the car is out of compliance, and he sends you to the ref 😉

·
Super Moderator
7,104 Posts

The officer probably used the "It's been a long day, I'm grumpy and your exhaust annoys me" meter.

·
Registered
2015 Focus ST
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

It was a city motorcycle cop. My car just happened to pop very loudly when I drove by him. I looked it up, it's basically a state sponsored inspection station. If I read correctly, they're at local community colleges.

·
Registered
2015 Focus ST
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The officer probably used the "It's been a long day, I'm grumpy and your exhaust annoys me" meter.
I think so. :cautious: I've never even gotten a second look from cops before. I'm not usually showboating.

Reactions: wingnutt

·
Registered
633 Posts
I got hit with one of those tickets a while back. I just paid my ticket and kept the exhaust as it was... and avoided the area that cop was patrolling for a bit. The other option was to fix the exhaust and take it to a ref to get it checked off, but that would of cost me almost as much as just paying the ticket. My insurance didn't go up and I never had any other issues... are you sure that the State Referee is a requirement? It was an option to me, otherwise pay the full price on the ticket which was a bit over $250 I think. It's been a while.

Reactions: Pooper Scooper

·
Registered
2015 Focus ST
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The sticker he put on the back of my ticket says that the State Referee Cert is required.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Reactions: Pooper Scooper
1 - 20 of 54 Posts