Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

When I let go of the clutch quickly after shifting there’s a loud clunk under the car.

Also happens when when I tap the accelerator, it’s like somethings loose.

Been told that it’s not the clutch release bearing by a garage.

It’s making me hate driving.

Plz help.

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett Powermax turbo, Thermal Turboback, CPE intercooler, JBR intake, Innovative RMM
4,585 Posts
What year is the car?
What mods does the car have?

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett Powermax turbo, Thermal Turboback, CPE intercooler, JBR intake, Innovative RMM
4,585 Posts
First things i would check are the factory airbox where the 3 legs push through their rubber mounts(although usually it makes a squeak, not a clunk) as well as the rear motor mount. Ford did redesign the RMM for the 14 model year but that doesn't mean yours hasnt failed.

Im assuming there was nothing blatantly obvious wrong when the shop had it in the air to inspect it? Definitely needs put in the air if not.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
First things i would check are the factory airbox where the 3 legs push through their rubber mounts(although usually it makes a squeak, not a clunk) as well as the rear motor mount. Ford did redesign the RMM for the 14 model year but that doesn't mean yours hasnt failed.

Im assuming there was nothing blatantly obvious wrong when the shop had it in the air to inspect it? Definitely needs put in the air if not.
Thank you.

Ive borrowed some ramps from my neighbour so will put it up on them and check the mounts.

Not possible that it could be the transmission mount?

·
Super Moderator
4,585 Posts
Thank you.

Ive borrowed some ramps from my neighbour so will put it up on them and check the mounts.

Not possible that it could be the transmission mount?
It could be but not as common. The rear motor mount (lowermost mount that does, in fact, bolt to the rear of the trans) is the only mount that directly handles the torque load applied by the engine.

Try to rock the engine and trans fore and aft (use a prybar if you have one available). If its bad you should hear it pop or see it move.

Just like in this video (although this RMM is aftermarket)

·
Registered
2013 TS ST3, with some stuff done.
761 Posts
Could be many things, duel mass flywheel, driveshaft, CV, diff, engine or gearbox mounts, to name a few.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Hi guys,

When I let go of the clutch quickly after shifting there’s a loud clunk under the car.

Also happens when when I tap the accelerator, it’s like somethings loose.

Been told that it’s not the clutch release bearing by a garage.

It’s making me hate driving.

Plz help.
TGT has you on the right track.
What I would do is leave the engine off, trans in gear, then have someone push it back and forth to get the engine "rocking" and see if you can locate the thump that way. that will probably simulate what is happening. it does sound suspiciously like a loose or broken mount, but could be about anything banging if somethings come loose

·
Administrator
12,662 Posts
It could be but not as common. The rear motor mount (lowermost mount that does, in fact, bolt to the rear of the trans) is the only mount that directly handles the torque load applied by the engine.

Try to rock the engine and trans fore and aft (use a prybar if you have one available). If its bad you should hear it pop or see it move.

Just like in this video (although this RMM is aftermarket)

Hey!! You sum'b!

·
Super Moderator
4,585 Posts

·
Administrator
12,662 Posts
Thats the 2nd time I've used that video to demonstrate the movement that needs done. Your carnage is helpful.
Ugh, i still gotta talk to cpe about that too.

·
Premium Member
1,363 Posts

·
Registered
2016 ST2, Absolute Black, Monster FMIC, Turbosmart BPV, ALEX' Shift Bushings,PCV-OCC, Innovative RMM
1,605 Posts
Honestly if one wanted a hard durometer RMM, the Cobb gen 2 (gray bushing, no adjustable pin holes) looks better design, but it does use the stock bracket on the trans that isn't as good.

I had that Cobb and didn't like the vibes.

I've not used the cp-e.

I'm still liking the Innovative Solutions mount, but it also has pressed in bushings like the cp-e.

·
Premium Member
1,872 Posts
Honestly if one wanted a hard durometer RMM, the Cobb gen 2 (gray bushing, no adjustable pin holes) looks better design, but it does use the stock bracket on the trans that isn't as good.

I had that Cobb and didn't like the vibes.

I've not used the cp-e.

I'm still liking the Innovative Solutions mount, but it also has pressed in bushings like the cp-e.
CPE stage 2 is the best by far, i ran mountune for a while and the CPE is a nice upgrade.

·
Registered
2016 ST2, Absolute Black, Monster FMIC, Turbosmart BPV, ALEX' Shift Bushings,PCV-OCC, Innovative RMM
1,605 Posts
CPE stage 2 is the best by far, i ran mountune for a while and the CPE is a nice upgrade.
... That the bushings can pop out of 😋😁

·
Registered
86 Posts
My $ is on suspension bit(s) amuk! Chasing down noises is part of the joy of ownership. I'd start with getting front end up on jacks and taking wheels off so can access most of the suspension bits. Use hands and/or pry bar to see if you can reproduce noise. Also, may need to do more test drives and see exactly what combination of conditions needed to reproduce noise. accelerating decelerating turning braking turning L/R etc.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts