Ford Focus ST Forum banner

101 - 120 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
Yep, we discussed this and the general consensus was a no

The main restriction on the head is the exhaust exit, so theory was the larger valves would give limited additional flow. Do you have any data to the contrary

Plus with the turbo i have i'm not going for silly power (yet)

·
Registered
563 Posts
Yep, we discussed this and the general consensus was a no

The main restriction on the head is the exhaust exit, so theory was the larger valves would give limited additional flow. Do you have any data to the contrary

Plus with the turbo i have i'm not going for silly power (yet)
Have you considered porting the exhaust port and ports? We did it with mine, created significantly larger and smoother exhaust ports and then opened the exit port to match the turbo headifold port.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
Yes the head will be ported, exhaust ports and exhaust exit will be increased as big as we can go and the exhaust manifold will be matched

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
OK results are in and dont know whether to be happy or sad.......i should be happy looking at the curve, i really really should be

Anyway.......

It’s a mixed bag of news

The engine wanted to boost, way above the 11psi set in the actuator. So the dyno removed one of the two springs and got this down to 20psi. The spring should set actuator pressure to 4psi so need to find out why this is happening.

It may be connected to the vacuum pump, this was disconnected and open to atmosphere and caused the crankcase to pressurise. Once disconnected, or sealed up, the engine was fine. Took a while to find out why but hey ho its not been done before.

Weirdly the std gdi injection was ok at 410bhp, auxillary wasnt needed (was tested and wasnt great when injects as the injector opens to much for the need) but does work if needed. Theory is 350wbhp so 400bhp is the limit, which its not as they still had some headroom.

But the major issue was detonation, at 20psi (1.4bar) the sensors were detecting knock, so the ignition was retarded to a point where the egt's got too high......This though should not happen, inlet temps were 30C so even if the compressor was blowing hot air (which its not according to the comp curve) this shouldnt effect detonation.

A theory, which i need to confirm, is that the pistons are higher than the 9.3:1 they should be. This is because i used the 2.3 crank and rods, and the 2.0 pistons. The std 2.0 and 2.3 have the same comp ration, so longer stroke and short rod should ,ake the same as they share (i hope i am right) the same piston diameter. However, the 2.3 and the 2.0 use different heads so i dont know if the volumes change to compensate.

As is normal here Dyno session finished late, so i will get more information tomorrow.

So it may 410bhp, 300lbft at 3000rpm and 350lbft of torque with a flat chunky curve with lots of room under the curve.

So i should be happy, right :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
So today i have the, first production dash fitted to the car and wow....just wow....i mean like wow

First off was the box

Then the contents, the dash on the top and the wiring below

I've spoken to Alec about how to control, and whilst you can use the trip reset and indicators he asked if i would like a small joystick for moving around the dash, i said yes a small discreet one with a push button so he supplied this. Idea is to have it mounted on the dash or just use it when you need it and plug it in

Next was fitting it to the standard mount

The original dash was taken out a few months ago and sent to Alec so fitting the new dash took about 30 mins

Fit and finish are pretty damn good and the graphics are awesome, the dash can take up to 6 screen designs (one of which i designed myself and Alec made for me), and then the 7th is the data logger

Took some photos, from afar, sun light was straight ahead but not direct sunlight but the dash was more than bright enough

Overall very very happy and it has more features that you can shake a stick at, everything was plug and play and worked

However i dont have an engine in the car, so couldnt test drive it
pretty damn cool build and nifty ass dash setup!

Hope you get all the quirks worked out soon! Hang in there and stick with it, looks like it's been a helluva mission.

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
This is a great build thread. Any updates on this?

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Hey any updates about on this?!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi mate

I've not done the same as you although I have fitted an Ecoboost in a MK1 Focus ST170 using a SCS Delta ECU too.

Is there any chance I can get you to screen shot your boost and fuel maps if there still the SCS standard map please.

Every time I bump up the boost and fuel I gain torque and loose bhp!

It would be great to see the difference between the "250" and "280" map.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
No problems, i only have the 280bhp map though i was never supplied the std 250 map

I'll pm you my email address then i can send you over my maps, as my laptop's battery died with the scs delta program so cant screen shot

Car sounds awesome though, and i have some Piper cams if you want a good deal ;)

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
No problems, i only have the 280bhp map though i was never supplied the std 250 map

I'll pm you my email address then i can send you over my maps, as my laptop's battery died with the scs delta program so cant screen shot

Car sounds awesome though, and i have some Piper cams if you want a good deal ;)
Did someone say piper cams and good deal? What stage and why are they not in the motor?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Did someone say piper cams and good deal? What stage and why are they not in the motor?
Hold on I was offered first :big smile:

If I recall the thread correctly some lucky person got sent 3 sets of Piper cams LOL

On a side note about cams, is there anyone using the uprated mustang exhaust cam to get the 4 HPFP lobes?

·
Registered
8 Posts

I've sent you a PM

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Hold on I was offered first :big smile:

If I recall the thread correctly some lucky person got sent 3 sets of Piper cams LOL

On a side note about cams, is there anyone using the uprated mustang exhaust cam to get the 4 HPFP lobes?
What turbo are you going to be running? Your best bet for fuel is to just get an AUX fueling kit and a bigger turbo. Motors good for 425-450 whp until you will want to do a mild build. Our motors are not fuel limited on the oem turbo.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #119
I worked with Piper on the cam specs and they sent me three sets of cams.

I have the Rally spec cams in my motor (with a larger fuel pump cam), which are awesome, i also have the fast road and race cams too which i no longer need

I dont think you can run the Mustang cams, completely different to the 2.0 (i asked piper and they said no)

Im running 420bhp on std injectors and have about 30 - 50 bhp left according to the duty cycle, as i am British we do things correctly so this is flywheel power :big smile:

·
Registered
8 Posts
What turbo are you going to be running? Your best bet for fuel is to just get an AUX fueling kit and a bigger turbo. Motors good for 425-450 whp until you will want to do a mild build. Our motors are not fuel limited on the oem turbo.
The plan is to run either a 2871 or 3071.

I've got an AUX kit ready as I'm running the same ECU as the OP we have the ability to control those extra 4 injectors without any problems although I would like to see how far the standard fuel system, with the addition of the extra cam lobe and the RS injectors, will go I am aiming for around 375whp for now as I have a spare block and head that I'm going to be working on to get the 2.3 conversion done that's maybe why I will go for the bigger turbo option to start with as I don't really want to have to buy 2 lol

101 - 120 of 124 Posts