Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just installed my CPE catless downpipe on my 2016 Fost and I am now fully bolted. I also switched from the stage 2 cobb ots to the stage 3. Granted I know these tunes suck. But I feel like I have less power now...less low end torque also. Is this just because of these crappy ots tunes not accounting for catless downpipes? I have heard rumors that catless downpipes actually make less power than stock when running a stock turbo? Any truth to this? I have a 93 stage 3 stratified tune on the way. But I was just wondering if anyone had a similar experience when switching from stock to catless dp. Thanks for the opinions!

·
Premium Member
1,176 Posts
What's your OAR? I briefly ran the COBB Stage 3 OTS tune before receiving my Stratified update? I thought it sucked all kinds of @ss. But then again, I didn't run it long enough for my OAR to reach -1.00.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
So I just installed my CPE catless downpipe on my 2016 Fost and I am now fully bolted. I also switched from the stage 2 cobb ots to the stage 3. Granted I know these tunes suck. But I feel like I have less power now...less low end torque also. Is this just because of these crappy ots tunes not accounting for catless downpipes? I have heard rumors that catless downpipes actually make less power than stock when running a stock turbo? Any truth to this? I have a 93 stage 3 stratified tune on the way. But I was just wondering if anyone had a similar experience when switching from stock to catless dp. Thanks for the opinions!
Cobb OTS maps dont support catless dp’s (but do support catted) . This is due to emissions(what their support told me). I’d start looking for a reputable tuner for your config.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My OAR has adjusted to -1.00 and yes I already purchased a stratified tune just waiting on it to get here. Just wondering if there was any truth to the whole loss of power with catless dp and stock turbo.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
@ the OP - I noticed 0 power loss when I went catless. However I did catless and tune(stratified @ the time) in the same install.
Did you do a KAM reset after you did the install and flashed the stage 3 OTS MAP? If so it might just be that you have a catless and not a catted which is what that map was designed for.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I think I shoulda went with a Cobb because even though I bought a catted DP (Depo racing) Torrie won't adjust my tune to turn off the O2 sensor and I'm getting a check engine light nearly every time I drive it. Man this sucks, I bought catted DP to keep from getting a CEL, now my tuner won't even help me. Bummed.
Give Brian over @JST Performance a shout. I'm running both a 93 and e30 map from him and am very pleased. Wait - are you using SCT with Unleashed? If so - he sells the sct tuner so you may be in luck. I'd email him at [email protected] and ask if he tunes with SCT. I know for sure he does with the cobb ap.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@ the OP - I noticed 0 power loss when I went catless. However I did catless and tune(stratified @ the time) in the same install.
Did you do a KAM reset after you did the install and flashed the stage 3 OTS MAP? If so it might just be that you have a catless and not a catted which is what 9that map was designed for.
I have not done KAM reset and don't really know what that is...

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I have not done KAM reset and don't really know what that is...
In your AP under troubleshooting with the car in acc mode(not running) select keep alive memory. You will need to get your oar back in check afterwards.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
The J tube is the way to go, it tricks the downstream sensor into thinking the air is cleaner than it is, and makes the light go away

Reactions: MainlyMustangs

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
I bought a legal 100 cell catted DP from Depo specifically to stay legal and not run with a constant CEL
Swapping out a perfectly good catalytic converter with a extremely low cell count cat (especially just a 100 cell) is definitely 100% against federal law for any street legal car.

Also with such a low cell count, it's not surprising that it still throws a CEL. Even 200 cell count cats may still throw CELs.

Torrie says its illegal to turn it off...I disagree
He is right, it is against federal law to modify vehicles emissions systems on street legal car.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
236 Posts
Swapping out a perfectly good catalytic converter with a extremely low cell count cat (especially just a 100 cell) is definitely 100% against federal law for any street legal car.

Also with such a low cell count, it's not surprising that it still throws a CEL. Even 200 cell count cats may still throw CELs.

He is right, it is against federal law to modify vehicles emissions systems on street legal car.

^ This. Beat me to it :D All the 'catted' down pipes do is filter just enough so that you hardly smell the particulates going through your tail pipe.

·
Premium Member
1,176 Posts

Then I guess this site is full of outlaws! :wink:

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
When I had my 13 STi (last year) I was running a CNT High flow CAT DP (Catted DP). After clearing the code I would throw CELS every time the car would go through a drive cycle. Mind you I was dumb enough to buy the car USED and without having someone check it out before hand (so pretty big mistake on my end). Everything worked out though as the dealer knew that the car needed to be tuned before they sold it to me and didn't tell me. So they bought me the access port/flashed the ECU/(gave me the AP) and all was well. My STi's CATTED DP was 200 cell. I know COBB tunes for catted down pipes just wondering if they disable the O2 or if its a cell count deal.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts