Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm looking to lower my st and this will be the first vehicle I ever lower usually I go up not down. Anyways I was looking at the steeda springs that drop the front an inch and the rear 1.4 inches. in my searches I found this camber kit on cj pony parts that they recommend you use if you lower your st to keep everything aligned right. Is this necessary or would I be ok without?

·
Premium Member
13,880 Posts
Are you lowering mainly for looks or the added performance also? I would recommend the Mountune Clubsport kit for a basic setup or the MFactory coilovers if you want to go more advanced. Unless your going super low you might not have to worry about a camber kit. Most camber kits are just for the rear. To get front camber kits you usually have to buy coilovers that come with them.

Sent from another garage.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm doing it for looks and I misspoke it's a caster correct kit it adds .5 degrees caster and replaces the control arm bushings. Has anyone else done this or just doing coils not pose that big of a problem to worry about wearing out tires funny

·
Registered
660 Posts
I'm doing it for looks and I misspoke it's a caster correct kit it adds .5 degrees caster and replaces the control arm bushings. Has anyone else done this or just doing coils not pose that big of a problem to worry about wearing out tires funny
So if I interpreted this correctly, you are referring to getting adjustable endlinks? I am getting ready to do mine and from what I have researched so far it is not required but recommended. I am doing mine as I want my swaybars to operate at peak performance. :)

·
Super Moderator
9,491 Posts
I'm using Bilstein B8's and Eibach Pro Kit which lowers the car the same as you are indicating. When aligned after the rear was in spec and the front was just slightly towed in. You should be fine without the bushings unless you plan to go lower.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Lowering your car generally will almost never affect caster. Main points of tire wear, etc.; you'll want to look for toe and camber adjustments. Rear camber arms and adjustable toe links may not be a bad idea, but if you're looking to save money, I'd throw springs on first and see how close you can get back to factory spec.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Increased caster is a performance modification. It can give you better straight line stablity, more camber upon a tight turn, a better steering feel during a turn (i.e. increased effort.)

Though, 0.5 deg is not much... TO get more, you 'll need coilovers and adjustable camber/caster plates. Add to that, those bushings could require yearly preventative maintenance being urethane.

Plain lowering springs, just get your toe aligned to 0.01 or as close to that as possible. Camber will be fine as-is. Don't settle for toe that is 0.06 or 0.1. Go for as close to 0.01 as you can get, no more than 0.05.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hit a deer and messed up the bumper and fender and I had it aligned then and that's the results

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
The good thing is that the factory camber is horrible from the factory and non-adjustable. So lowering will only improve things. :)
So stock camber is fine but toe closest to .001 as possible? I am replacing my suspension end of april and am curious as to the best setup for a DD and more windy roads than straight pulls.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts