Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone!

Finally started modding this bad boy, so i have a two part question regarding a CAI i was hoping for some help.

1. I am looking at the AF dynamics Cold Air Intake system, priced at $160 its by far the best bang for buck, anyone here have any experience using them?

2. I purchased a Green Air Filter that i am running with the stock intake, could I use this with an Aftermarket CAI, or should i used the filter that is provided, really love the look and sound of the Green Air Filter.

Thanks!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Just ordered my black AFD intake, the quality is great I think you'll like it.

As far as the green filter, I'm 99% sure you won't be able to use it on an aftermarket intake.

Sent from my Toaster using Tapatalk

·
Registered
244 Posts
Save your money on the intake. Upgrade the filter to a high flow filter, open filters make cool noises but suck in more hot air, closed filter make no noise is the only difference. Heat wrap the OEM air box with DEI gold or silver, do a spectre air mod or intake snorkel, and a DIY silicone hose. All in all if you upgrade to an AEM Dry Filter ($40), DIY Silicone Hose ($11) and some DEI tape ($30) it would be money well spent compared to these companies wanting $200 for an intake. If you want to add an air box mod or snorkel you can but its not 100% needed. Spend the extra money on a tune and intercooler.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Save your money on the intake. Upgrade the filter to a high flow filter, open filters make cool noises but suck in more hot air, closed filter make no noise is the only difference. Heat wrap the OEM air box with DEI gold or silver, do a spectre air mod or intake snorkel, and a DIY silicone hose. All in all if you upgrade to an AEM Dry Filter ($40), DIY Silicone Hose ($11) and some DEI tape ($30) it would be money well spent compared to these companies wanting $200 for an intake. If you want to add an air box mod or snorkel you can but its not 100% needed. Spend the extra money on a tune and intercooler.
I purchased the Cobb air filter and experienced heat soak at stops. This is an open end filter. I purchased the mountune plug for their filter through cjpony and I'm no longer sucking air from the engine compartment when my car is standing still. I have a big mouth snorkel for when the car is moving. Next up is a silicone elbow.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
244 Posts
I purchased the Cobb air filter and experienced heat soak at stops. This is an open end filter. I purchased the mountune plug for their filter through cjpony and I'm no longer sucking air from the engine compartment when my car is standing still. I have a big mouth snorkel for when the car is moving. Next up is a silicone elbow.
Do this for the elbow, its alot cheaper than the Mountune or JBR elbow.

http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-st-performance/35965-air-intake-elbow-replace-diy-w-photos.html

·
Registered
211 Posts

A good intercooler will overcome any heat soak from the open end filter. My charged air temps don't move even when sitting at a stop light.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'm talking about intake air temps. Charge air temps are another issue. Open end air filters suck in air from the engine and temps rise. Placing the end plug keeps intake air temps lower.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts