Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to get a dash cam for my FoST. I've never had/used one before, so I know virtually nothing about them. Looking for something, while not "cheap", not expensive either. Would also like one that is not too big (smaller the better). Any advice, or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
P.S.- My apologies if this is posted in the wrong section.

·
Registered
195 Posts
A118C if budget. A119 for the updated version, barely over $100.

If you wanna go balls to the wall, look at the Blackvues.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I'm running the Spytec A119. It's a solid dash cam.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Reactions: LockeLamora33

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
I started like you looking for the medium price spectrum. But I learned the things I want:
Built for extreme temperatures
Handle 2 video streams at a good (or at least decent) quality
Remain small

cost money. I ended up spending quite a bit more than planned. But I am happy because I did not make compromise.

I went with the Blackvue 650S. Actually bought a used unit to save money but I semi regret that because I do not have cloud support. But I saved about $100 so can not really complain. https://www.amazon.com/BlackVue-DR650S-2CH-Recorder-Included-Support/dp/B06XWLPY1Q?th=1

There are other units that are similiar to this unit that I am sure I would recommend too (thinkware comes to mind), but at the time it seemed the Blackvue was best bang for buck. It has excellent tools to view video both on computer & phone. Somewhat easy to use settings.

My one complain with the Blackvue is in my experience the "sensitivity" preference for when to record in parking mode is too sensitive. Seems to be an ongoing problem with dash cams, would rather be too sensitive than not enough I suppose. Issue is this drives me to turn the sensitivity to 0 and rely solely on G forces to trigger recording.

Otherwise this camera delivers excellently with every promise made.

Driver perspective can not see the camera normally. (just noticed you can see the rear camera in this photo)
IMG_1628.jpg
Small and sneaky
IMG_1626.jpg
Passenger has super awesome view of my dash tech
IMG_1629.jpg

This is first time hardwiring/mounting hardware in a car meaning even an amateur can do a decent enough job. Just be patient.

Reactions: LockeLamora33

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I got the A119s and have been happy, super easy to wire following the radar mounting thread on the site. From what I can tell, you either get a decent budget one like A119s or grab a really nice one like the blackvue's make. The in between ones don't really offer enough for their price compared to the a119s I have found.

Reactions: Nionetics

·
Registered
313 Posts
If I were to get anything more expensive than the A119S, I'd go for the Thinkware F770. Dual channel camera system with an automated buffered parking mode. Front camera is box style so it's fairly discreet as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 Ford Focus ST3
689 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
I got the A119s and have been happy, super easy to wire following the radar mounting thread on the site. From what I can tell, you either get a decent budget one like A119s or grab a really nice one like the blackvue's make. The in between ones don't really offer enough for their price compared to the a119s I have found.
Do they come with the wire tuck cover like the a118c? Looks nice, i'm thinking of relocating my 118 to the rear and getting thec119 for the front

·
Registered
313 Posts
Do they come with the wire tuck cover like the a118c? Looks nice, i'm thinking of relocating my 118 to the rear and getting thec119 for the front

No wire tuck cover. But if you mount the A119 on the dot matrix behind the rear view mirror, hardly anything is visible from the outside (can barely notice the camera if you don't know what you're looking for). A 90 degree mini USB adapter keeps the cable tucked nice and tight against the body of the camera.

Here's mine installed:
1fc6cda91572d1cfb6fb485922195a7e.jpg
c1fba01d409f160745c486a5a51c8481.jpg

·
Registered
313 Posts
For those with the A119s, do you take it down whenever you park so as not to fry it in the sun?
I leave mine mounted all the time and have no plans to stash it. The cam used capacitors instead of batteries so it will fare better in the heat. I believe it's rated to operate up to 60 or 65C.

·
Registered
331 Posts
My best friend has a Garmin Dash Cam 55 on his vehicle. It works great especially with the forward collision assist.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I leave mine mounted all the time and have no plans to stash it. The cam used capacitors instead of batteries so it will fare better in the heat. I believe it's rated to operate up to 60 or 65C.

I've had my A118C in my car year round. Since it has a capacitor instead of a battery the heat hasn't harmed it.

Sent from another garage.
Cool, thanks for the reply/advice. This is a great dashcam for being so cheap!

·
Registered
353 Posts
Whatever you choose, do it and install it. If nothing else (and I hope so, for your sake), they're great for laughs.
vlcsnap-2017-04-29-16h26m13s250_zpshrnbzpad.png
Saw this just this morning!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts