Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. I've been having fun with my '01 Miata for almost 4 years now, but that ended 2 weeks ago when my wife and I got clipped by a Semi. Not a terribly hard hit, and we were both OK, but the car is likely going to be totaled. I'm thinking my next DD will be a Focus ST. I have 3 kids and it seems like a great compromise of fun and utility. I found a '13 that is pretty close and looks very clean, its an ST3 and has 56K miles on it. The guy is asking $16,500 for it but the blue books says it's worth $14,900. I have a tendency to pay too much for vehicles I think. Are these cars typically going for more than the blue book?

no response to my question on the "what are you paying" thread, that's likely for sticker cars.
Want my first day to be a happy one.

Thanks,

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hey all. I've been having fun with my '01 Miata for almost 4 years now, but that ended 2 weeks ago when my wife and I got clipped by a Semi. Not a terribly hard hit, and we were both OK, but the car is likely going to be totaled. I'm thinking my next DD will be a Focus ST. I have 3 kids and it seems like a great compromise of fun and utility. I found a '13 that is pretty close and looks very clean, its an ST3 and has 56K miles on it. The guy is asking $16,500 for it but the blue books says it's worth $14,900. I have a tendency to pay too much for vehicles I think. Are these cars typically going for more than the blue book?

no response to my question on the "what are you paying" thread, that's likely for sticker cars.

Thanks,
I have a 13 st with 52k, last time I went to the dealer they offered me 16k for it if I wanted to trade up. Idk if that helps, I also had maybe 10k less miles on it

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
9,506 Posts

Thanks,
These do not typically sell for above book value, in fact, these cars depreciate rather quickly. I would keep looking if he is not willing to come down; a new 2017 ST1 will probably be $19,000 or so on year end sale soon as the new model year cars come out in August. The ST is hard to beat as a good all around vehicle that is really fun to drive though.

·
Registered
41 Posts
They do depreciate fast. My trade in value to the dealership a month ago was $13,500 for a 2013 ST2 with 30k miles. That would give the dealership a 2-3k profit for suggested dealer sale price.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
108 Posts
They do depreciate fast. My trade in value to the dealership a month ago was $13,500 for a 2013 ST2 with 30k miles. That would give the dealership a 2-3k profit for suggested dealer sale price.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
That's around on par then with the one mentioned by OP but you must take into account what dealer incentives you may get by buying from a used dealer for the same price as private seller

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
50 Posts
21k OTD for my new 17 St1...that was a month ago. Not sure about the ST2,3 but if I wasn't a sucker for extras at the dealership i couldve walked away with 19.5K OTD. Spend the extra 3k, get a new car.

Reactions: LockeLamora33

·
Registered
5,878 Posts

Thanks,
he's about 3.5 grand high imho. For perspective I recently put my '14 ST1 up for sale with 38k miles (keeping in mind it is highly modified and the abuse I put it through is highly documented) for 9k and did not get a single offer. Not one.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just for perspective....I just bought a '17 ST2 in Detroit area in late May for about $26K OTD on X-plan (probably could have done better without it but just had too much going on to deal with the ****ering.) Rebates were pretty nice at the time...in the area of $4500K.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
My KBB value on a 16 ST3 with 4500 miles was like 18k for trade and 21k private sale. DON'T buy that car for anything close to he's asking.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the advice. I appreciate the collective experience. Well I figured if I'm going to get serious about this, I better drive one first. Tonight I did just that. Local lot has a '13 ST1 with 35K on it. (asking $17, but giving free samples :) ). I was impressed with how low the power came on. I didn't get to stretch it out because I had the sales gerbil with me and traffic was kind of thick. Weird thing happened though on the way back. I got a chance to roll into it again but it felt like somebody stuffed bananas in the exhaust. It was laboring above 3.5K. Totally different than the first time I got into it. And the CEL came on. The guy was pulling the code when I left but I had lost interest in that particular car. Hope the next one holds up for more than 10 minutes LOL! Seriously, I liked the taste I got when we first pulled out. I think my next car will be an ST. What was the typical factory warranty on these?
Thanks!

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Thanks for all the advice. I appreciate the collective experience. Well I figured if I'm going to get serious about this, I better drive one first. Tonight I did just that. Local lot has a '13 ST1 with 35K on it. (asking $17, but giving free samples :) ). I was impressed with how low the power came on. I didn't get to stretch it out because I had the sales gerbil with me and traffic was kind of thick. Weird thing happened though on the way back. I got a chance to roll into it again but it felt like somebody stuffed bananas in the exhaust. It was laboring above 3.5K. Totally different than the first time I got into it. And the CEL came on. The guy was pulling the code when I left but I had lost interest in that particular car. Hope the next one holds up for more than 10 minutes LOL! Seriously, I liked the taste I got when we first pulled out. I think my next car will be an ST. What was the typical factory warranty on these?
Thanks!
3/36 on whole car, 5/60K on drivetrain.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I just bought a CPO 2014 ST3 with 25k miles on it for 17.9(they were firm), and negotiated them up on my trade by $2000. Ended up still rolling about 1500 into the note, but got out the door for a slightly smaller note with one year less than my loaded then new 2013 SE was (60mo vs 72mo).

There are a few things on the car that are iffy, such as the two dings in the hood, and a door ding, scratches where the prior owner pulled up on a high curb, but overall, it's where a 25k mile used car should be I think with a non-car-guy at the wheel.

The CPO plan included 12k/12mo bumper to bumper, including the wheel and tire care, extended the drivetrain out to 7yr/100k mile zero deductible through Ford, and they installed the passive security panel VIN stickers(not my fav, but lowered my insurance $10 a month).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts