Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have around $1000 budget, was thinking of adding the following.

Accessport
Upgraded Inter cooler
Cold Air Intake
Blow-Out Valve

Any suggestions as I have never truly modded a car before.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,172 Posts

Accessport
Upgraded Inter cooler
Cold Air Intake
Blow-Out Valve

Thanks!
Biggest differences made on our car: Accessport (Preferrably from a tuner, not from Cobb itself), Intercooler (stock is garbage), and Downpipe.

If you get all of this stuff at once, get the parts first before getting the Accessport/tune because you have to pay to have it updated for each mod you add depending on what company you get it from.

The cold air intake and the Blow-off* valve are mainly just "cool factor" parts. They sound absolutely amazing on our cars but will not gain you much of a gain. That being said, I have both done to my car because like I said, they sound AMAZING on our vehicles.

Edit: Oh and if you didn't yet, an upgraded Rear Motor Mount (RMM abbreviated) is a must for me.

·
Premium Member
3,712 Posts

Accessport
Upgraded Inter cooler
Cold Air Intake
Blow-Out Valve

Thanks!
I'd personally save on the full intake and just replace the filter as the OE intake is decent, then get a snorkel from VelossaTech. There are two different valves also BPV(By-pass valve) or BOV (Blow-Off Valve). The BPV will operate more like stock(venting back into the intake) but be much much better quality than OE and the BOV will be louder because most of them vent to atmosphere. You may want to look into going to a step colder spark plugs also. Possibly a RMM(Ream Motor Mount) next. The short shift brackets are cheap enough and make a huge difference also.

Reactions: brian60

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So you recommended not going with the Cob Accesport V3?
Gotta admit i heard a FST with a BOV and i loved it, im not really a racer and would like my car to have a bit more push, but to also sound really mean :popped out:

·
Registered
9,130 Posts
I recommend COBB's A.P. Your list is pretty nice, however I'd scrap your Blow off set up and go with a Rear motor mount.
Just incase you did not know, the BOV or BPV does not add any performance gains, its a system that blows into the atmosphere or recirculates the air back into the system.
The rear motor-mount keeps you're ST planted/engine planted in the front while also reducing wheel hop witch can TEAR your expensive tires up.

Edit. :smile:

·
Registered
207 Posts
Get a Cobb Accessport V3 from Mountune. You get retunes for 45 days. It will make far more power than any bolt on. Also the car can't really take advantage of bolt ons until you get a tuner. And according to Randy, the calibrator at Mountune, many parts do not require a new custom program until you get into things like the downpipe or a big turbo.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,172 Posts
So you recommended not going with the Cob Accesport V3?
Gotta admit i heard a FST with a BOV and i loved it, im not really a racer and would like my car to have a bit more push, but to also sound really mean :popped out:
I should have been more specific. You SHOULD definitely get a Cobb Accessport V3. What I meant was do not buy it from Cobb. But it from a tuning company (Like Stratified/Panda Motorsports/etc) because if you buy from them it'll cost usually around 500 dollars and you'll get a free tune from them which is BETTER than the ones that come with the Accessport. I would recommend Stratified because their customer service is top notch. That being said, they all will net you about the same gains.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
This should help:

Blog : Ford Focus ST Modifications Guide by Stratified Auto : Stratified Automotive Controls

IMHO, in this order:
  1. FMIC - Steeda, Mountune, cp-e
  2. Air Filter - Green, Mountune, Cobb
  3. RMM - cp-e Stage 1 or Mountune for street
  4. Cobb AccessPort3 With Tune from a tuner like Mountune, Stratified etc.
  5. CAI - Mountune, Cobb, etc.

Enjoy!

All the best,
Mark
He says he has a $1k budget, why would you even mention Mountune? lol

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
196 Posts
I'd personally save on the full intake and just replace the filter as the OE intake is decent
This. The full Roush intake is nothing more than noise compared to an open filter, sad to say.

On a $1,000 budget, I would get the FRPP Tune, Spark plug and CAI kit for $795 and a set of brake pads or a rear motor mount for the remainder.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
He says he has a $1k budget, why would you even mention Mountune? lol

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk
As if any of us have stuck to our budget! Pfft!

:)

All the best,
Mark

·
Registered
207 Posts
I'd personally save on the full intake and just replace the filter as the OE intake is decent
This. The full Roush intake is nothing more than noise compared to an open filter, sad to say.

On a $1,000 budget, I would get the FRPP Tune, Spark plug and CAI kit for $795 and a set of brake pads or a rear motor mount for the remainder.
I've definitely read about blown engines from the ProCal tuner from Ford.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts