Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Team,

This is my first post and I am excited to potentially become an ST owner. I have been in love with the VW GTI's, and I cant really stretch to the Golf R, or the Focus RS for that matter. So I think the ST should give me the little extra "play" on the road over the GTI.

Im checking out this one owner 2015 Focus ST3. This guy seems legit, and put 22000 commuting miles on it. Hes getting rid of it with a family upgrade. He put the ceramic brakes on the front, and still has the originals if I want them. He also unplugged the sound symposer valve, which I guess really isn't a mod. Other than that he tinted the windows to a legal tint in my state (Virginia). He has a winter set of tires/wheels and the aggressive summer tires/wheels too. He is asking $19.2k plus some for the wheel set.

My questions to y'all, and from what ive read on here already is:
Do you think this is worth it or too good to be true?
Is it worth it to look at newer models, or 2015-2017 doesn't have much difference besides being newer?

Thanks everyone, I look forward to hearing from ya!

·
Super Moderator
9,492 Posts
Hey Team,

This is my first post and I am excited to potentially become an ST owner. I have been in love with the VW GTI's, and I cant really stretch to the Golf R, or the Focus RS for that matter. So I think the ST should give me the little extra "play" on the road over the GTI.

Im checking out this one owner 2015 Focus ST3. This guy seems legit, and put 22000 commuting miles on it. Hes getting rid of it with a family upgrade. He put the ceramic brakes on the front, and still has the originals if I want them. He also unplugged the sound symposer valve, which I guess really isn't a mod. Other than that he tinted the windows to a legal tint in my state (Virginia). He has a winter set of tires/wheels and the aggressive summer tires/wheels too. He is asking $19.2k plus some for the wheel set.

My questions to y'all, and from what ive read on here already is:
Do you think this is worth it or too good to be true?
Is it worth it to look at newer models, or 2015-2017 doesn't have much difference besides being newer?

Thanks everyone, I look forward to hearing from ya!
For the ST3 package that seems like a reasonable price; for an ST1, not so much.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I had a 2010 gti and loved it. But i went to a focus st3 with all the bells and whistles. Ill tell you as far as maintenance the vw gti has more of it than the st. From wat i been reading here not as many on the focus st.

A gti dsg trans is EXPENSIVE to replace and fix. For example to replace the dsg tranny cost $5000+ i have the recite.

One plus side about vw gti the new mk7 they can pump out lots of power. With just a stage one. Witch is a stage 3 here to get the same power.

I love the focus st. More fun to drive. Their rare in my area. They kinda hold their value. The focus community is good. O and insurance is cheeper lol

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
406 Posts
2016 ST1 are going for 20k new.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ah sweet. Yeah I hear you, this is what I have been finding in all of my research as well here and on the GTI forums. Pretty convinced im going ST. Seems like the fun/money ratio is high and that doesn't even take into account (from what it seems) the maintenance. Plus I take public transportation to work, so I will literally be driving for fun and food, so my grocery store runs will become a new highlight. Thanks for the insight. Part of the reason im looking to 2015 models is the warrantee should be expiring soon so I will feel more obliged to go up in stages. (some mod plans indeed). I would have to agree with you on the rarity in the area, DC doesn't have a lot of ST's, but it seems everyone has a GTI. I think I can bushwhack a little here as well, interesting Boston is in the same boat it seems.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had a 2010 gti and loved it. But i went to a focus st3 with all the bells and whistles. Ill tell you as far as maintenance the vw gti has more of it than the st. From wat i been reading here not as many on the focus st.

A gti dsg trans is EXPENSIVE to replace and fix. For example to replace the dsg tranny cost $5000+ i have the recite.

One plus side about vw gti the new mk7 they can pump out lots of power. With just a stage one. Witch is a stage 3 here to get the same power.

I love the focus st. More fun to drive. Their rare in my area. They kinda hold their value. The focus community is good. O and insurance is cheeper lol

Ah sweet. Yeah I hear you, this is what I have been finding in all of my research as well here and on the GTI forums. Pretty convinced im going ST. Seems like the fun/money ratio is high and that doesn't even take into account (from what it seems) the maintenance. Plus I take public transportation to work, so I will literally be driving for fun and food, so my grocery store runs will become a new highlight. Thanks for the insight. Part of the reason im looking to 2015 models is the warrantee should be expiring soon so I will feel more obliged to go up in stages. (some mod plans indeed). I would have to agree with you on the rarity in the area, DC doesn't have a lot of ST's, but it seems everyone has a GTI. I think I can bushwhack a little here as well, interesting Boston is in the same boat it seems.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Wow DC is the same. I been a vw guy for a while i have had 3 gti's. honestly i love the ST
I got a 13 with 10k for $19k in great condition i added xtra warranty just in case. $2500 for adding cna. Thats the extra warranty till 2021
I had that on my gti too after my warranty ran out. **** happened tranny went 2 times and electrical problems. It paid off for me. Specially the $5k tranny replacement i paid 100 bucks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts