Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in traffic yesterday on a hill with temps in the upper 90's for an hour. I started to see smoke, temp gauges were all normal. Then I started to smell my clutch, but I wasn't on it the whole time, only to put it in first when it came to move. And come today I can still smell it! But no issues, with anything. Just looking for some input. Thanks

·
Registered
530 Posts
Definitely check your brake fluid. I had a couple really bad fat finger mistake shifts in my old car and smelled clutch and I noticed after these the fluid level was low because it boiled off. You more than likely are boiling clutch fluid and that could easily be a result of the slave cylinder not properly engaging the clutch. If your fluid is REALLY low, the smoke you saw was probably the vapor from the boiled fluid, although I don't know how to explain how it escaped the clutch housing

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
Definitely check your brake fluid. I had a couple really bad fat finger mistake shifts in my old car and smelled clutch and I noticed after these the fluid level was low because it boiled off. You more than likely are boiling clutch fluid and that could easily be a result of the slave cylinder not properly engaging the clutch. If your fluid is REALLY low, the smoke you saw was probably the vapor from the boiled fluid, although I don't know how to explain how it escaped the clutch housing
Yeah, @E__k I'd look into the things the other guys here said about.

Oh, and @poletrain let me just say this: WOOOOOOOOOOO

·
Registered
9,129 Posts
I was in traffic yesterday on a hill with temps in the upper 90's for an hour. I started to see smoke, temp gauges were all normal. Then I started to smell my clutch, but I wasn't on it the whole time, only to put it in first when it came to move. And come today I can still smell it! But no issues, with anything. Just looking for some input. Thanks
repeat the same conditions in a controlled environment maybe? see what you can see.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Stop and go traffic and a hill? That's a deadly combination for a clutch. Hopefully you didn't hurt it too bad. When I'm in stop and go traffic I try not to slip the clutch too much, although it's sometimes unavoidable because you can't always let it out and idle along. I try to allow a car length or two ahead so that I can let the clutch out completely so I don't overheat it.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
:haha:

@brian60 My boy Phil Kessel is still a Stanley Cup Champion. And most importantly, Ovechkin is not :haha:
I use that snap chat app and the Penguins posted a picture of Phil posing and said "Phil Kessel is a Stanley Cup Champion...AGAIN" and I was like that's what it's all about hahahaaha. He is my girlfriends favorite player because he's a big easily frustrated teddy bear.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Despite what others may claim, there is no shame IMHO in turning Hill Assist ON!

Reactions: Cowlynz
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.