Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey! I previously owned a 2010 speed 3, very fun car but did nothing but suck money! Fortunately for me it later on got wrote off. Next I picked up a 2010 lancer gt. Nice little car very boring!
Looking at buying a 2014 focus st. Its got 86000kms on it, oil catch can, Cobb access port, air raid cold air intake and owner has a Cobb rear motor mount available not yet installed. It also has been straight piped from the cat back. Can a person buy this and expect any problems with the add ons? I’m not big on aftermarket stuff since owning the speed 3 and having nothing but problems with ad ons. Anything a person should look for on this car?? Thanks!

·
Registered
252 Posts
I’m not big on aftermarket stuff since owning the speed 3 and having nothing but problems with ad ons.
Sounds like you have answered your own question. Think of it like this, if you are asking, then you have doubts. Keep shopping till you find one you like. I am very fond of my ST, but I am still stock.

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
The cars are pretty stout when it comes to the engines except for, and you're very familiar with this from your speed I'm sure, LSPI.
As for the mods mentioned the only one I would slightly question is the Accessport. You never know what they were trying or who was tuning the car.
There are a lot of really good pro tuners out there but also a lot of garage tuners who don't know what they're doing.
As for the intake, catch can, and RMM, I wouldn't have worrys about them at all.

Can always have a compression test done or the oil analyzed if you want to be through.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Welcome

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Many of us have tuned cars with added power mods and no issues...but most of us will still tell you to find a unmodified car to start with. You could be looking at a tuned car that has been well taken care of and will have no issues or a poorly tuned car that has been beaten on. As long as you are not in a rush or need a car immediately, i would say to keep looking for the right one

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was really hoping for a stock one but unfortunately there are not many of them where I am. Perhaps I can do a compression test, that may give me a better idea. Thanks for the reply’s everyone ?

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
I was really hoping for a stock one but unfortunately there are not many of them where I am. Perhaps I can do a compression test, that may give me a better idea. Thanks for the reply’s everyone ?
A compression test is a very quick, easy, and cheap process. If you would like peace of mind it's certainly a good option.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Hey thanks for that! Any tools needed other than compression tester? Just want to make sure we got everything needed to do it

QUOTE=brian60;2179498]

Blog : How to perform a compression test on a Ford Focus ST : Stratified Automotive Controls

Stratified to the rescue!
[/QUOTE]

Well I mean you'll have to pull the plugs of course, so the usual tools for that job, but nope. Screw the tester down in there and get to work. Make sure you drive your car around the block a few times and get it warm. Not hot, but just enough to warm everything up.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Bought the car!
I’m having issues finding stuff on here, can anyone point me into the right direction of what plugs to run? Would like to change them as previous owner had not yet.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts