Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So thanks to a lucky scratchy scratch I'm plus 500 this week so I figured now is the best time to make my fmic purchase. I was always planning on doing depo for 350 but what else is out there, because he is back ordered. Levels and cp-e are options just not sure if there is a company I am missing?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Levels is a great product, you just have to wait a bit for it as well since he's usually a one man team and hand welds his parts. But there's cobb, mountune, cx racing (like a custom type route I guess), mishimoto is in the making of one if its not finished yet and also depo like you stated. There might be a few more but for the most part they are will work well for you. Mostly going to be the price you want to pay and personal brand preference etc

·
Registered
530 Posts
There's a very informative sticky on most if not all of the options for us. Many have said Depo is the same as CP-E, I don't know first hand. Mishimoto came out with a new one recently too. But check out that thread. The most important spec in there is surface area. The bigger that number the better. Do proper shrouding too

·
Registered
331 Posts
I preorder a mishimoto based off the fact they designed it work correctly with the factory shroud intact (minus the stupid shutter system) I've noticed alot of guys are running without any kind of shroud and they might be hurting there performance more than they realize. But hey it looks cool I guess!

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
There's a very informative sticky on most if not all of the options for us. Many have said Depo is the same as CP-E, I don't know first hand. Mishimoto came out with a new one recently too. But check out that thread. The most important spec in there is surface area. The bigger that number the better. Do proper shrouding too
It is, the issue is that it's most of the time sold out. Once it's back in stock (eta is like 2 weeks or something like that from the 26th) it's the cheapest reliable option that performs with the top contenders.

Cp-e has a great intercooler and plenty of awesome reviews here. Made in the USA and lifetime warranty.

Sent from another galaxy.
I went with a used CPE and not a single complaint. They know what they are doing and it's a big name you can trust. Can't go wrong with them like UnfocusedST suggested. Same with Steeda

·
Registered
331 Posts
It is, the issue is that it's most of the time sold out. Once it's back in stock (eta is like 2 weeks or something like that from the 26th) it's the cheapest reliable option that performs with the top contenders.

I went with a used CPE and not a single complaint. They know what they are doing and it's a big name you can trust. Can't go wrong with them like UnfocusedST suggested. Same with Steeda
Steeda is a great company to deal with. I recently ordered just a cheap $15 clutch assist spring from them and about a week later got a handwritten card in the mail thanking me for my business. Would not hesistate to buy from them again.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I preorder a mishimoto based off the fact they designed it work correctly with the factory shroud intact (minus the stupid shutter system) I've noticed alot of guys are running without any kind of shroud and they might be hurting there performance more than they realize. But hey it looks cool I guess!

+1 ^
Do you have a link to the one u pre ordered?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Why would you hurt your performance? The shroud was designed to get better gas mileage on the highway and to help keep heat in. By the time you are modifying your car you want to give the clearest path for air. If you are referring to the fact that they force air into the intercooler then this is correct, but a bigger I/C will still be more efficient negating the loss of velocity. Lastly there are I/C's out there with their own shrouds like this (the one I am running).

Focus ST250 DTF intercooler - Focus On Performance

Don't get me wrong mishimoto's I/C is great and they put a fair effort in the design, but so too did companies like CPE and process west and if they removed the shroud as part of their design I can guarantee you it won't have a negative impact on the cars performance.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Why would you hurt your performance? The shroud was designed to get better gas mileage on the highway and to help keep heat in. By the time you are modifying your car you want to give the clearest path for air. If you are referring to the fact that they force air into the intercooler then this is correct, but a bigger I/C will still be more efficient negating the loss of velocity. Lastly there are I/C's out there with their own shrouds like this (the one I am running).

Don't get me wrong mishimoto's I/C is great and they put a fair effort in the design, but so too did companies like CPE and process west and if they removed the shroud as part of their design I can guarantee you it won't have a negative impact on the cars performance.
this would fit the us focus st right. looks very good.

·
Premium Member
1,278 Posts
Many options available. At the end of the day ANY of these will be a vast improvement over the puny OEM unit. I have the Mountune, because I like the way it fits. I'm not using the lower shroud, and it's not been an issue. When I asked Dan at Mountune, he stated that any losses due to not running the lower shroud would be negligible. Again any will keep you turbo supplied with cooler air.

·
Registered
344 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,525 Posts

He was referring to the shroud, not the AGS

·
Registered
85 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
He was referring to the shroud, not the AGS
Yer I saw that. The AGS sits in the shroud. I could have worded that better.

But as I showed there are other products that implement their own shroud, but the companies that don't use shrouds are just as good. Guys running CPE get amazing results, and with my shroud removed I got lower oil temps on track as it opened the whole front area. I think the mishimoto I/C's are great but I was more so trying to address the comment saying that people who take out their shrouds are hurting their performance. Which I think is a crock.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.